krytac clunking noise? HELP ME TECH GUYS!

sampeett1
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Purchased a used krytac lvoa, shoots fine but after each cycle i can hear/feel and slight clunk a split second after it fires. not sure if this is normal or not, my ares omoeba did not do it. It would cycle cleanly with just the pop sound. I took the krytac to be serviced and they didn't say anything so im guessing its normal.

help!!!!!

I have a video of the noise if anyone wants to hear it. i can email it over.

thanks sam.

• Supporters

Upload to youtube perhaps & post a link so we can all see/hear it

could be a spring "twang" which can happen on solid metal spring guides

or a motor settling if a bit of a loose/roomy pistol grip & some lash

or AR latch not operating correctly & rolling back

but bloody hard to guess wtf it really is, could be a 30k motor and trying to double cycle on 11.1v

what battery do you use in there ???

but yeah upload a brief clip to youtube and we can all have a listen to see if it is anything to worry about

if gun was serviced then I would assume its nowt to be too concerned about - a spring twang is not uncommon

the spring resonates against the metal spring guide after firing creating a light twang sometimes & others quiet as a mouse after firing

Upload to youtube perhaps & post a link so we can all see/hear it

could be a spring "twang" which can happen on solid metal spring guides

or a motor settling if a bit of a loose/roomy pistol grip & some lash

or AR latch not operating correctly & rolling back

but bloody hard to guess wtf it really is, could be a 30k motor and trying to double cycle on 11.1v

what battery do you use in there ???

but yeah upload a brief clip to youtube and we can all have a listen to see if it is anything to worry about

if gun was serviced then I would assume its nowt to be too concerned about - a spring twang is not uncommon

the spring resonates against the metal spring guide after firing creating a light twang sometimes & others quiet as a mouse after firing

UK version, using a 7.4v 20c battery.

• Supporters

UK version, using a 7.4v 20c battery.

Its not an abnormal sound lots of aegs make a similar noise as they finish a cycle.

Your motor height is a bit low though so you need to raise it slightly. You will lose some of the screech. If thats just been serviced tell them you want a refund because if they cant set a motor height properly then the rest of the work is dubious.

• Supporters

I guess the bevel gear has 4 teeth where the anti reversal latch catch on. When the cycle ends far from one of those, the system goes in reverse until it catches the AR latch. That's this noise. There are bevel gears with more teeth.

Gears_ICS_MC_07_lg.jpg324.jpg

I guess the bevel gear has 4 teeth where the anti reversal latch catch on. When the cycle ends far from one of those, the system goes in reverse until it catches the AR latch. That's this noise. There are bevel gears with more teeth.

Gears_ICS_MC_07_lg.jpg324.jpg

so its normal? but can be reduced (sound) if i purchase a new bevel gear with more than 4 teeth?

• Supporters

As per usual Samurai is bang on - Krytac have 4 latches - FFS even G&G have 5

not impressed but yup according to google-fu them bevels are 4 latch ones not 5, 6 or 8 - well 8 is a bit OTT I reckon

gearset.jpg

http://www.airsoftgi.com/product_info.php?products_id=19625

kinda weird - how can a gear set be enhanced but also std

yeah I know 18:1 is the standard ratio.....

but did read a bit a little strange: Enhanced Standard 18:1 Ratio Gear Set

bit like the saying new & improved - if it is new then how can it be improved ???

being an ar$e as per usual - please ignore

another pic coz wtf - 4 friggin' teeth/latches - that is basic cheapo entry gun stuff imho:

11355-2_280x@2x.jpg?v=1472074519

this is G&G dairy lea set with 5 latches....

G_10_011-500x500.jpg

As per usual Samurai is bang on - Krytac have 4 latches - FFS even G&G have 5

not impressed but yup according to google-fu them bevels are 4 latch ones not 5, 6 or 8 - well 8 is a bit OTT I reckon

gearset.jpg

http://www.airsoftgi.com/product_info.php?products_id=19625

kinda weird - how can a gear set be enhanced but also std

yeah I know 18:1 is the standard ratio.....

but did read a bit a little strange: Enhanced Standard 18:1 Ratio Gear Set

bit like the saying new & improved - if it is new then how can it be improved ???

being an ar$e as per usual - please ignore

another pic coz wtf - 4 friggin' teeth/latches - that is basic cheapo entry gun stuff imho:

11355-2_280x@2x.jpg?v=1472074519

this is G&G dairy lea set with 5 latches....

G_10_011-500x500.jpg

As I've said the LVOA shoots great and is a great RIF but that is a bit of a let down, its just a bit annoying as it doesn't feel crisp or even as I thought it feels broken. I guess this is the sort of minor Issue you have to put up with, when getting a GEN 1 version as I think the GEN 2 must have more latches as it's bang on! Guess I either put up with it or get a new bevel gear :(

• Supporters

Just live with it tbh until it goes pear shape.....

THEN consider a new set maybe a 16:1 or perhaps 13:1

Thing is - the bevel & its height are nigh the most critical thing to get as close to perfection as possible

Yes you could change the bevel from a 16:1 or so set - they are usually ok to use but some gears mesh best with a set

BUT - each bevel can be unique and will need the height set by the shim(s) on top of it

some bevels msh better with certain motor/pinions etc......

All the same when fitting another/different bevel you need to check the shimming/height rather than just slap it in

With that in mind - I'd be tempted to live with it for a while and maybe replace with a SHS Gen 4 16:1 or 13:1 set

installed by a good tech - maybe replacing some worn bearings with some bushings as well

Krytac's are usually assembled to better tolerances than most off the shelf guns, so tbh you don't want to balls up a working gun

fine if you are messing around with a Raider - what have you got to lose

but only advise messing with a £300 gun if you know what you are doing.....

got to admit I was quite surprised they had 4 latches - thought they would of had say 6 like most SHS sets have

(there are basic cheapo sets from all makes including shs oem's that still have 4 latches but higher speed ones have 6)

best of luck but I'd live with it for a while & see how you go - unless the AR latch is sticking and not returning quickly

(I've had that before - a tight snug AR latch wasn't springing back and allowed gun to roll back)

Just live with it tbh until it goes pear shape.....

THEN consider a new set maybe a 16:1 or perhaps 13:1

Thing is - the bevel & its height are nigh the most critical thing to get as close to perfection as possible

Yes you could change the bevel from a 16:1 or so set - they are usually ok to use but some gears mesh best with a set

BUT - each bevel can be unique and will need the height set by the shim(s) on top of it

some bevels msh better with certain motor/pinions etc......

All the same when fitting another/different bevel you need to check the shimming/height rather than just slap it in

With that in mind - I'd be tempted to live with it for a while and maybe replace with a SHS Gen 4 16:1 or 13:1 set

installed by a good tech - maybe replacing some worn bearings with some bushings as well

Krytac's are usually assembled to better tolerances than most off the shelf guns, so tbh you don't want to balls up a working gun

fine if you are messing around with a Raider - what have you got to lose

but only advise messing with a £300 gun if you know what you are doing.....

got to admit I was quite surprised they had 4 latches - thought they would of had say 6 like most SHS sets have

(there are basic cheapo sets from all makes including shs oem's that still have 4 latches but higher speed ones have 6)

best of luck but I'd live with it for a while & see how you go - unless the AR latch is sticking and not returning quickly

(I've had that before - a tight snug AR latch wasn't springing back and allowed gun to roll back)

you are a man of wise words! I will take your advice and when and if the gear box needs opening I will change to the Gen2 krytac gears which I think have 6 latches, but untill then I'll just enjoy it

Thanks guys!!

• Supporters

There's plenty of reasons for having fewer teeth on the bevel gear, not least to reduce the amount of precompression you get when the cycle finishes, a little bit of reverse spin on the gears won't hurt the gearbox.

Certainly not worth opening anything up to 'fix' it.

• Supporters

In some ways I'm actually a little shocked it is doing it...

A std 18:1 set takes 6.25 turns of bevel to rotate sector

Now multiply that by 4 latches = 25 latch clicks per cycle
Or say a dozen clicks when pulling back piston
That is almost 1 click per tooth (well nearly)

So there is only less than 4mm the piston could roll backwards I think...

On higher speed 12:1 sets the bevel may only turn 4.25 turns x say 6 latches to give again about 25 latch clicks per full cycle....

Think I study crap way too much but hey ho

Just saying the actual clicks are about the same overall
So "maybe" just maybe maybe maybe the AR latch might not be operating 101% every time and on occasions it may miss and roll back a smidge more on an extra tooth or two ?

But yeah don't think it is a major issue

Now on say a SHS 16:1 (17.25:1 ratio) set that turns say 5.75 bevel turns x 6 latches and that would make up to 34 clicks in total

or 17 pulling back piston so well easily a click per piston tooth but we are talking next to f*ck all really
Unless it just just misses latching and rolls back 4mm on the std 18:1 set. (18.65:1 ratio)

(there are 16 teeth on sector gear or piston @ 3mm pitch)

Well leave it until it needs attention but I'd pay attention when it next gets serviced that the AR latch itself is operating effectively - possible binding or weak spring perhaps

But nothing bad as we seem to agree on

Archived