Use of drones in airsofting

Beethoven
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

As drones are now used routinely in battle situations, might it be possible to introduce them into airsoft gaming? I thought of this recently when I went to a big wedding, where a drone was whizzing up and down outside the church, taking pictures from various angles.

The most obvious use might be for reconnaissance in woodland settings, with the possibility of the opposing side being able to take pot shots at it. Who knows, in the future some Chinese or Japanese airsoft manufacturer might produce combat drones, capable of firing bbs, or dropping smoke bombs, or paper bombs on players.

Critics might argue that it might take some of the fun out of airsofting (e.g. by identifying sniper positions), but on the other hand it might add an extra dimension to games.

I don't know if they are already used in airsofting, but I have never seen one on the site I go to.

As drones are now used routinely in battle situations, might it be possible to introduce them into airsoft gaming? I thought of this recently when I went to a big wedding, where a drone was whizzing up and down outside the church, taking pictures from various angles. It has been done by many folk already, If you are happy for a 500fps sniper rifle to take pot shots at your drone then you have more money than most

The most obvious use might be for reconnaissance in woodland settings, with the possibility of the opposing side being able to take pot shots at it. Who knows, in the future some Chinese or Japanese airsoft manufacturer might produce combat drones, capable of firing bbs, or dropping smoke bombs, or paper bombs on players. you can already get them that fire BBs and have a grab/drop capability.

Critics might argue that it might take some of the fun out of airsofting (e.g. by identifying sniper positions), but on the other hand it might add an extra dimension to games. absolutely, they could be pretty cool, but I don't think the cost is worth the gain, especially as you need a licence to use them in public places.

I don't know if they are already used in airsofting, but I have never seen one on the site I go to.

Decent drones are expensive no one is going to want it shot at.

Could be usefull for milsim or a dedicated team as recon is only useful when everyone is communicating. I'm sure I've seen vids on YouTube of drones in games so probably has been done.

Critics might argue that it might take some of the fun out of airsofting (e.g. by identifying sniper positions), but on the other hand it might add an extra dimension to games. absolutely, they could be pretty cool, but I don't think the cost is worth the gain, especially as you need a licence to use them in public places.

Would it not be private ground at an airsoft field?

no idea but there is an RC plane club who fly on the land owned by the peeps who own my local airsoft site, they are very strict on the rules being followed. I imagine the sites insurance would not cover drone use by anyone who wasn't a qualified drone pilot.

no idea but there is an RC plane club who fly on the land owned by the peeps who own my local airsoft site, they are very strict on the rules being followed. I imagine the sites insurance would not cover drone use by anyone who wasn't a qualified drone pilot.

Hmm i spose that makes sense

They had drones on a recent airsoft game I attended, but purely as media use - no direct camera link, or BB firing capability - there was a warning in the briefing not to fire at the drones. Drones are great for airsoft, but for videography. If you want to use them in real time for tactical purposes, be prepared to lose thousands of pounds very quickly. There's a reason that the military have their FLIR-equipped drones flying at tens of thousands of feet during missions.

• Supporters

In the UK it will be difficult, as you need a license to fly anything over a certain size. I am not sure what size, but I know its at least QAV200 (drone people will get the measurement). I use drones to film airsoft, but only to film. When I play in the States (where I live), I use my SOLO (2000 quid drone) sometimes to get interesting footage. I always make a point at the start of the day that the drone is used for filming, and is not in play in any way. I have never had any issues with it - everyone has been respectful of it and not tried to shoot it down or anything.

Some random footage from a random game I pulled from my archives.

• Head Moderator
  • Supporters

Well, I wasn't gonna mention it, buuuut... ;D

I like the idea of one used for filming if the footage was good, but I'll be honest that thing buzzing above me would do my head in. I'm easily distracted at the best of times but hearing a constant buzzing above my head would annoy me after a while.

• Supporters

I was playing with the idea to use one on milsim games for recon. Just like the big boys have the Black Hornets. The small ones only have a few mins of flight time so not a game changer, but it would add some fun factor.

But a drone equipped with BB gun would be a bad idea. I would definitely shoot it or hit it with a branch or something.

• Head Moderator

Wheres the one discussing liability if one falls on someone's head?

This one - http://www.airsoft-forums.co.uk/index.php/topic/22433-drone-cameras-for-airsoft-days/?hl=liability#entry158591

Another good reason to wear a helmet ;)

Currently going through the process of doing a PfCO course for work, as far as I can gather from my course materials (and this is only an advisory guess, as even the course materials are monstrously convoluted), even if you receive no payment for your work, you would still be required to have PfCO regardless if said public event was a commercial enterprise (ie paid play).

Archived