The sniper play style ? mhm

Mos
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

So after my first skirmish with the sniper rifle, I learnt things, and ideas crossed my mind that never really came across before. But the major point that came to me was the actual play style and tactical mind you have to use going into each game.

When I use an AEG, I usually just follow the pack, go near the objectives and try and shoot some people - usually miss, but I do try, I promise.

Though today when using the sniper at times I felt that I wasn't in the right position. As they day grew on, I was finding myself in far greater positions, in which I got a fair few kills from.

So what I'd like to know from the experienced players is: What's the best positions to get yourself in? Near the objective? And do you often have yourself looking down the scope at a position just waiting for the enemy to be a visible target? Just some general sniper tactics really. Only as a rule of thumb sort of thing.

Anyway, the sniper rifle was good, and had plenty of fun. Definately enjoy the sniper rifle more than other guns.

Cheers guys

I am yet to play airsoft, I will very shortly but I do have a couple of points that may help from watching a lot of videos on youtube and also having previous military experience (was not a sniper though). The biggest thing I see that is a no-no for me that I see a lot on videos is people but predominantly snipers shoving their barrel out of the window of a building or window to take a sight picture. This stands out like the proverbial, you really want to be taking shots imho from back inside a room, this is basic SOP, your barrel should not be protruding as it is much easier to see and will give away your position.

You mentioned looking down the scope, I presume that you have a ambush site picked out and are waiting for someone to walk into that spot.
I suggest that you look over the top of the scope which will improve your field of vision. Someone may be propped ten metres away (who you would otherwise not detect) and from there you can adjust accordingly to engage them very quickly. If you are looking through the scope at a specific potential target area, you may miss this, you will also have more situational awareness if people are getting closer to your position. The scope is good for for scanning an area as well which makes it easier to take a quicker aimed shot.

The number one advantage to using a sniper rifle is range so I would use that in my favor. Find a place that gives you adequate cover and concealment and preferably has several exit options if possible.

I like to go to places where nobody would ever suspect - sometimes, I'll wear padded gloves and multiple layers of ripstop and thick clothing so I can go crawling through swathes of brambles and nettles. Last time at RIFT, I managed to get 7 or 8 kills from under a thicket of brambles off the main path, overlooking the open field. I used black BBs and it took them a while to figure out where I was. Got hit relocating - they must have seen the movement in the bushes because three of them just sprayed randomly in my direction until they hit me.

My next aim is to look into buying a weapon - sniper or DMR - that can out-range the average hire gun AEG.

• Supporters

I either take Ash's route - sit in otherwise unsavory locations like a 85* riverbank peeking over (that was a fun spot), or move very quickly with an advance force to one flank and set up a position ahead of where the enemy expects to be engaged. Depending on the site, I will either dress like Ash - heavier clothing (although that is a pain here in Florida), or more like Novritch - battle belt (new design from Safariland ;) ) and little else.

Ah sweet, so pretty much picking a position which is close to a hotspot of enemies, but where you can see that hotspot from 30-50m away, and just set your scope up there for a bit until they're all washed out.

Awesome, cheers guys. Think playing as a sniper is a lot about your positioning too.

• Supporters

The number one advantage to using a sniper rifle is range

Nope.

Sniper rifles have only slightly better range than AEGs and using full auto compensates for that difference.

@Mos. You should decide what role you want to play. Sniper or DM. If you are a sniper then don't go with the others. You work alone, maybe with one spotter who knows how to do that. If you are moving and working with your fireteam then you are a designated marksman (who happen to have a bolt action rifle). In this case you use your better accuracy to help your mates. I suggest try this role first until you learn your gun, until you can take shots and hit. Meaning your range and wind estimations are correct, you can choose shooting positions and fire effectively from them, move undetected, set up your gear that it is and stays where you want it, etc.

If you are stalking/sniping don't worry much about taking a good position unless it is a very slow paced game. You take 2-3 shots and move. You will need to think with your opponents' heads and surprise them. That's why sniping needs a lot of experience.

I have toyed with the idea of getting a sniper rifle. I would definitely like to have a go at sniping at some point.

What I have noticed though is that snipers by no means always observe the rules on range. At the last event I went to, I got thwacked really hard in the neck by a sniper round. I discovered that the sniper was much closer to me that he was supposed to have been. I suspect that incidents where players have had their teeth broken or have had hits which mark their skin are often due to short range sniper rounds.

• Supporters

I don't know about most other snipers but me and some others use sub 350 bolt action rifles where those are better for the field. I ask the marshals to inform the players about it so there won't be a confusion about the minimum engagement distance - which did happen once.

Nope.

Sniper rifles have only slightly better range than AEGs and using full auto compensates for that difference.

@Mos. You should decide what role you want to play. Sniper or DM. If you are a sniper then don't go with the others. You work alone, maybe with one spotter who knows how to do that. If you are moving and working with your fireteam then you are a designated marksman (who happen to have a bolt action rifle). In this case you use your better accuracy to help your mates. I suggest try this role first until you learn your gun, until you can take shots and hit. Meaning your range and wind estimations are correct, you can choose shooting positions and fire effectively from them, move undetected, set up your gear that it is and stays where you want it, etc.

If you are stalking/sniping don't worry much about taking a good position unless it is a very slow paced game. You take 2-3 shots and move. You will need to think with your opponents' heads and surprise them. That's why sniping needs a lot of experience.

In addition to the general experience requirement, I won't use a sniper rifle on a site i'm not familiar with, as unless you know the lay of the land you can't be truly effective.

You mentioned looking down the scope, I presume that you have a ambush site picked out and are waiting for someone to walk into that spot.

I suggest that you look over the top of the scope which will improve your field of vision. Someone may be propped ten metres away (who you would otherwise not detect) and from there you can adjust accordingly to engage them very quickly.

Be careful with that advice. the site I go to snipers can only engage from 20mtrs minimum if your target is below that, you can switch to a side arm or alternatively don't engage. Breaking that rule can get you banned

Nope.

Yes thank you very much. I'd agree with you, and for myself, I'll go as a DM role for now. As I don't really know the maps we play on, and I am new to sniper rifles (haven't played many games, and I struggled with THE biro mod, I am not experienced aha). Very good post, at times I was clueless, but as the day went on I got a better idea and got about 5 kills in a round or two. Normally when a round starts there's about 3 fire teams of 5 people. And the rest just go solo or something. So would you recommend following a fire team, and then when we have sort of recognised where a bunch of enemies are, I just get somewhere where I can set up and look down my scope on that area for a bit, and just shooting them lol.

Regarding the sniper role, I actually do have a spotter - it's my brother. But during the day we stuck together, he had an AEG in the form of an M4, and he would stick with me, often telling me where the enemies were. Finally, he'd move up and we'd clear a lane, or atleast stop a lane from progressing. There was 3 of us, some other dude with a sniper rifle, who I've never met before, and my brother with the M4. Wow that was awesome, never felt that awesome before in airsoft.

Thanks

• Supporters

I play as DM mostly as well. Two of my buddies are my team, and if we spot a lone player, or a group up to 5 we will get into position and take them out Sniper Ghost Recon style :D. That's always sooooo satisfying.

Depending on the situation I'd either follow the pack and help out with spotting and directing fire for someone with an LMG, flank around with some other or go around for a probing attack before the main train arrives.

When defending just dig in and spam as much fire as I can before bugging out either to higher ground or with the rest of the group.

I find it's decently fun. You get used to it in time. I find it helps in skills with playing in general. I've made this analogy before- It's kinda like riding a hard tail mtb before you get a full suspension yoke. You get used to making up your lack of suspension/rate of fire and when you grab an AEG again it's balls out shredding lad

I go between waves of wanting an AEG and enjoying my time with a springer. Skint af so will have to stick with me springers and hardtails for some time now!

We had a sniper play at our recent milsim Op Nutcracker.

He was good. His camo was so effective, you couldnt see him from more than a few metres away.

He scored 17 kills over the weekend and was eventually caught using a UAV where his opfor were vectored in to converge on him.

He actually surrendered at this point and was taken for interrogation.

So after my first skirmish with the sniper rifle, I learnt things, and ideas crossed my mind that never really came across before. But the major point that came to me was the actual play style and tactical mind you have to use going into each game.

When I use an AEG, I usually just follow the pack, go near the objectives and try and shoot some people - usually miss, but I do try, I promise.

Though today when using the sniper at times I felt that I wasn't in the right position. As they day grew on, I was finding myself in far greater positions, in which I got a fair few kills from.

So what I'd like to know from the experienced players is: What's the best positions to get yourself in? Near the objective? And do you often have yourself looking down the scope at a position just waiting for the enemy to be a visible target? Just some general sniper tactics really. Only as a rule of thumb sort of thing.

Anyway, the sniper rifle was good, and had plenty of fun. Definately enjoy the sniper rifle more than other guns.

Cheers guys

Without a doubt you need to watch some of the 6mm hunters, Hunteering, Sniper ops youtube videos. Play style is massively different to your Sunday skirmish.

We had a sniper play at our recent milsim Op Nutcracker.

He was good. His camo was so effective, you couldnt see him from more than a few metres away.

He scored 17 kills over the weekend and was eventually caught using a UAV where his opfor were vectored in to converge on him.

He actually surrendered at this point and was taken for interrogation.

Mr. Bailey by any chance?

Be careful with that advice. the site I go to snipers can only engage from 20mtrs minimum if your target is below that, you can switch to a side arm or alternatively don't engage. Breaking that rule can get you banned

I meant ten meters from where you are currently observing, ie you would have tunnel vision and not see someone nearby if you were focused solely on the site you have picked as a killing ground (military term, not best for airsoft but that is what it is called), not ten meters from the muzzle of your rifle.

Nope.

I will take your word for it mate as I don't have the practical experience in airsoft, however I have seen vids on youtube where snipers are hitting well over 100 yards.

• Supporters

Mr. Bailey by any chance?

Kickingmustang is seriously very good. My opinion is that he is the best amongst the youtube snipers so most of us won't be that successful. :)

I will take your word for it mate as I don't have the practical experience in airsoft, however I have seen vids on youtube where snipers are hitting well over 100 yards.

Yes. But that almost never happens in a game. Snipers make shots where they know they will quite probably hit. That's 50-60m and that's well within the max range of an AEG. In a game if you miss the shot, the target will know you are there and you lose your best weapon: surprise. That's why you usually don't risk shots as a sniper. At least I don't.

Ok, on a skirmish where an average player's attention span is about 10 seconds, you can go for long shots. :)

• Supporters

100 Airsoft yards, not quite the same as 100 real yards :-)

90% of those shots will be less than 80 yards, the other 10% will have been the result of either a massively overpowered (for actually playing) rifle or the product of some very clever editing and about a million shots to get on target.

100 Airsoft yards, not quite the same as 100 real yards :-)

90% of those shots will be less than 80 yards, the other 10% will have been the result of either a massively overpowered (for actually playing) rifle or the product of some very clever editing and about a million shots to get on target.

ahh righto, fair enough. Never let the truth get in the way of a good yarn lol.

Kickingmustang is seriously very good. My opinion is that he is the best amongst the youtube snipers so most of us won't be that successful. :)

Yes. But that almost never happens in a game. Snipers make shots where they know they will quite probably hit. That's 50-60m and that's well within the max range of an AEG. In a game if you miss the shot, the target will know you are there and you lose your best weapon: surprise. That's why you usually don't risk shots as a sniper. At least I don't.

Ok, on a skirmish where an average player's attention span is about 10 seconds, you can go for long shots. :)

James is a top bloke. I did a sniper ops day with him a couple of months ago and it's opened my eyes big time to a different play style. Definately a guy to observe and take notes!

• 2 weeks later...

Heh I play solo sniper a lot, sometimes i'll enlist someone at the respawn zone into the role of "spotter" (in reality he goes ahead so they shoot him first :P ). My pet peve is when you know where they are and you have an obvious flank. You get the perfect flank and start lining up and you get a ton of people follow you resulting in everyone getting into proper cover and being unable to get any clear shots.

I'm just like, "dude i'm trying to be fuckin sneaky here piss off"

• Supporters

My pet peve is when you know where they are and you have an obvious flank. You get the perfect flank and start lining up and you get a ton of people follow you resulting in everyone getting into proper cover and being unable to get any clear shots.

My "favorite" variation to this is when you get the flank, take the shot and hit. Then the target ignores it, goes to cover and alerts everyone.

Archived