LIpo problem, or is it?

axor993
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hi guys,

I have purchased a GSG, 7.4v, 30-60c, 1450 mah LIPO for my Dboys Rk-05. I charged the battery using the Tomtac charger (https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00N96QK9C/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1). I charged the battery only for about 30 minutes to test if it's working. I placed it inside of my AK, and it began to shoot. Little did I notice that the motor began getting really hot. I could feel it in the grip/handle trigger. Then, all of a sudden the gun stopped working. I was pulling the trigger but the gun was not shooting. After 20 minutes, the gun cooled down and it began shooting again. I have use other batteries with this gun of which all were nimh, 8.4v, 9.6v, 1300 and 1600 mah, and it worked fine. Now, I have used the LIPO battery again once it was fully charged (according to the charger I got) and placed it in my Dboy BI3381 M4 (a spring was placed in it to reduce fps from 390 to 330). The gun worked fine but, I could feel the grip handle (where the motor is) getting a little bit warm, nothing too bad. Also, I have noticed that the battery has become looking more "round", but it did not swell up as such. It's still rock solid; it has not got any squidgy or soft parts to it. Guys, can you give me your expertise on this topic? Perhaps it's gun that is rubbish? (it should not be) or the battery? or maybe the charger? I do want to use the lipo since I paid around £17 for it (lol), but I'm scared to use it. I do not want to break my guns.

Thanks guys for your help!

• Supporters

The lipos can give more current than nimhs. But the gun (motor) will only get what it wants, it's not the battery "pushing" the current. The lipo is fine. The gun seems to be faulty. Check the wiring, the contacts and if the gears spin freely.

However it is normal for the motor to get warm, but it shouldn't be hot.

If you only charged the battery for 30 mins then used it and it stopped, you may have run it flat. If you kept pulling the trigger (as it says), you may have run it really flat, something to avoid with a LiPo. It could explain the slight swelling.

The battery may work ok still, although you may have shortened its life span. I've done the same in the past. Charge it on a fireproof mat (if you're not already).

7.4V should be fine in your guns.

With regard to a warm grip, motors get hot, it's normal.

How long did it last in your M4? If it was a lot different to your AK, that might suggest that something is wrong somewhere. If a lot of heat was generated and the battery discharged very quickly, possibly above its maximum discharge rate (the xxC bit) then the battery may have suffered. Either way, charging damaged LiPos or using them where they are shorting out can lead to some nasty, firey results. If you're not sure about how to check wiring or motor resistances please get both the battery and whatever it's being used in checked out.

Sounds to me more like the motor is in too deep into the gearbox and struggling to turn the gear box and producing heat, the lipo can't really do that although if it ran low with no turning then voltage applied to the motor insufficient to turn the gearbox could get it hot quite quickly. Lipos aren't designed to be used at empty at all, once they drop below a certain voltage they never work again and can set fire/explode if you do use them.

How swollen is swollen for the lipo? Because a little bit of movement isn't a big problem but you may already have damaged the battery and it needs disposing off in a battery bin. Might be worth taking a picture so we can have a look to see if its still safe to use.

Right. The M4 was shooting ok and so was the AK after it got charged for a bit, which means that the charger was shit. I have contacted the seller and he will be sending me a new one. Besides, it still does not explain how come the motor got so hot, yet with nimh batteries it was not a problem (I have used 2 other batter which happened to be nimh). My suspicion is that either the charger or the battery are faulty. It'll all become more clear once I will get the new charger sent over to me. I'll post here the result of my investigation! :).

In the meantime, please find attached photos of my battery to this post. As you can see, the battery looks, alright? I guess?

post-14243-0-57495400-1477419071_thumb.jpg

post-14243-0-63496000-1477419073_thumb.jpg

post-14243-0-64454800-1477419075_thumb.jpg

Right. The M4 was shooting ok and so was the AK after it got charged for a bit, which means that the charger was sh*t. I have contacted the seller and he will be sending me a new one. Besides, it still does not explain how come the motor got so hot, yet with nimh batteries it was not a problem (I have used 2 other batter which happened to be nimh). My suspicion is that either the charger or the battery are faulty. It'll all become more clear once I will get the new charger sent over to me. I'll post here the result of my investigation! :).

In the meantime, please find attached photos of my battery to this post. As you can see, the battery looks, alright? I guess?

That is fine, not going to explode any time soon.

I have discovered additional interesting fact about my lipo. The wires inside the Tamiya connector are spinning. they do not come off the plasticy bit but I can spin them inside freely, which I think is not good. Could anyone tell me if this is going to impact on anything?

• Supporters

from what you say that is normal

the prongs or male/female connections are crimped usually onto the wire

when inserted they stay put in the sleeve but the wire+connections can rotate

the connectors just clip in & a little pin required to pop the connectors/wires out of the plastic sleeve

if you buy some cheapo small/large tamiya to say xt60 or deans adapters from that high quality fleabay

you may get the wires with wrong polarity and have to sort out the wires properly

but they can turn/rotate in the sleeve a bit, that is normal

as long as they connect ok without one of the connections jumping out when you plug in battery

• 3 weeks later...

Hi guys,

I know it's been a while, sorry!

Just to add to this topic, everything has been resolved. The Lipo works great and the AK works surprisingly well with it.

Besides, that Dboys AK is actually not bad. Some guys with VFC and marui guns who came to my last Airsoft game were actually surprised at how well it shot! Anyways! cheers guys!

Archived