First Car

TomC
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

A reg Vauxhall Nova, £400 to insure (1992). No online comparison tools in them days, used something called a landline telephone to get quotes

Thank god I've always had comparison sites lol, phone calls take far to long! Wasted nearly a day when I got my ibiza as it was a new model and confused wouldn't quote due to not having any data on the model.. not that the phone calls faired much better think I just laughed and hung up on a fair few people that day 😂.

• 1 month later...

Thanks for the replies guys (sorry im late to reply). Just put the deposit down on a 2004 Honda Civic Type S. Insurance on direct line with a black box is looking at around £1000. (lots less than I was expecting). Cheers for the help.

That's a bit pricey or I'm lucky, my Civic Type R costs roughly £550 with half the no claims you have.

Agreed, my stepfather pays £155 per year on a 2004 Type R with 14 years NCB.

• 4 weeks later...

My first car was a Mazda 2 57 plate cost me 1500 for first year insurance with a black box, 1500 second year without a black box, it's now costing me like £600-700 per year fully comp in a really bad area (bradford postcode) I honestly couldnt reccomend anything more, I got it with 43k on the clock and It's now on 102k it's had new tyres, light bulbs, brake pads and discs and a clutch that's it. It loves country roads and loves it even more when you seriously put your foot to the floor

• 1 month later...

This is my very family friendly first car.

A 1965 Mustang Fastback.....

ojtGtme.jpg

YYfX4UN.jpg

MlOOQAM.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Toyota Celica mate. Picked mine up for £2,500 and have owned it for almost 3 years. Still runs as sweet as the day I got it (they're actually legendary for their reliability) only things I've had to do is replace the brake disks and buy a new exhaust because the old one rusted away from the back box. It's a 1.8, develops 140 bhp and has plenty of poke if you keep the revs high. Absolute joy to drive, planning on holding on to it for many years to come. Not sure what your insurance would be like though... 

• 2 months later...
On 10/03/2017 at 9:34 PM, DarkAssassin said:

This is my very family friendly first car.

A 1965 Mustang Fastback.....

ojtGtme.jpg

YYfX4UN.jpg

MlOOQAM.jpg

:D Just as good looking now as it was back then. Timeless.

9 hours ago, TicTacOps said:

:D Just as good looking now as it was back then. Timeless.

Timeless indeed TicTacOps.

Yep the insurance is about what you brought yours for....

And that advert is exactly how I live my life! Crazy how they got it so bang on!

I do love a vintage advert, not quite as much as I love a classic Mustang though.

What year is your Celica?

I do love a Japanese car too.

My first car is a 2016 C Class. I couldn't afford to buy one straight up, so I got a really good lease deal on a new merc - £270/mo with servicing and a buyout option down the road. Will probably get a new one though - I like this whole lease thing. Can choose a new car every 3 years without worrying about shelling out tens of thousands of pounds cash or taking out loans or anything like that.

• Supporters

Leasing and PCPs are great. You are locked into the contract for how ever long you choose, but I believe you can end sooner with a surcharge. 

Insurance should be low, depending on his drivers history, and if he has a black box. 

As im posting here, I suppose I should list my vehicles.

First car was a '72 bug, one after that a '87 Mitsubishi shogun, then I got my '96 P38 Range Rover I sold that over two years ago and invested in my current beast; '15 Landrover 110 with roof tent and awning. Can provide photos of all or any if anyone is interested.

Archived