The clueless custom guy...

Samuelol
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hi guys,

I'm used to just choosing a gun, clicking add to basket and feeling very pleased with myself. However, I'm now planning a HPA setup. If I'm to spend that kind of money on the inside, I'd like a pretty outside too!

I've fallen in love with the madbull spike's tactical rail. I see that madbull also manufacture a spike's tactical m4 receiver... and that's where I'm lost. I can't see that it comes with a charging handle - would any handle do or are they brand specific?

The write-up also specifies that the receiver has a shortened stock tube - does that complicate my stock choices, or at least mean I will need to look at sourcing further parts?

As you can see, I'm seriously new to this. Luckily, I have a good technician nearby to sort the internals out for me but it would be nice to figure out the externals myself.

I appreciate any help you more experienced makers can give me and look forward to your reply.

Sam.

Thanks mate good to know.

Madbull outer barrel too by the way!

• 2 weeks later...

That receiver set does not come with a charging handle but any AEG one will do :)

The Spike Tactical rail is lovely btw, I run one on my TM Recoil.
It's quite wide so it suite large hands.
You can fit a 40mm suppressor inside it too, I'm using it for a Honey Badger style build.

• Supporters

So assuming you have a donor rifle to take parts from, you dont need anything special (most likely). That rail will go onto the receiver just fine (again, from what I can tell by the pictures). The buffer tube (thats the correct name for what you call the stock tube) might be different, but again it will likely fit. I know one of my 5-6 AR-style guns has a screw in buffer tube, but the others all have that style. Dust cover and charging handle will have to be removed from the donor rifle. Be careful removing the charging handle from the donor gun - you can easily stretch/damage the spring inside it.

Beside that you'll be fine. Be prepared to spend a pretty penny on the HPA side though.

I follow a similar mindset to you on gun customization. My VSR has two custom stocks, my main AR has had plenty of external mods, and my three primary pistols are 90% aftermarket parts

Archived