recommend a sight for a blind git!

Roundel91
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

I'm looking for a sight that would give me the best sight picture i can get given the fact i have fairly bad eyesight in my right eye (slightly blurry but awaiting surgery to get it sorted)

I've tried many times shooting left handed as my sight in that eye is a lot better but i just cannot get comfortable or used to it with a rifle. Using iron sights is well and truly out of the question for me as i cant properly see the sight picture between the front and rear sights.

From what i can gather a holographic or reflex sight would be the best option. but id be interested to hear from anyone who may have similar sight issues as me and what they have that works for them.

The rifle i'm using is a G&G CM16 raider.

Cheers in advance.

Roundel

Would have thought you might need a sight with magnification. The sights you mention dont have it. You might want to look at something like an ACOG with x4 magn. Might be worth asking to view down some sights at your next game to see what works for you.

CM16 is irrelevant as long as you have a RIS rail to mount it on.

Would have thought you might need a sight with magnification. The sights you mention dont have it. You might want to look at something like an ACOG with x4 magn. Might be worth asking to view down some sights at your next game to see what works for you.

CM16 is irrelevant as long as you have a RIS rail to mount it on.

thanks for the suggestion, the reason i mentioned the CM is because i cant remove the front sight as its moulded on and thought it could well get in the way?

I've only seen a couple of raiders on the field, however one had the carry handle with a red dot mounted to it, and another using iron sights.

I know some optics vary in heigh, being low and high profile.

However, if you buy a sight that is too low and is obstructed by the iron sights, a risen mount may be useful.

Link is used as an example of what I'm talking about.

http://www.patrolbase.co.uk/airsoft-sights-scopes/asg-riser-mount-20mm.htm#.WAnYioZ4WaM

I've only seen a couple of raiders on the field, however one had the carry handle with a red dot mounted to it, and another using iron sights.

I know some optics vary in heigh, being low and high profile.

However, if you buy a sight that is too low and is obstructed by the iron sights, a risen mount may be useful.

Link is used as an example of what I'm talking about.

http://www.patrolbase.co.uk/airsoft-sights-scopes/asg-riser-mount-20mm.htm#.WAnYioZ4WaM

height of the optic is one of my main concerns. my raider only has the rails and a rear post sight instead of the carry handle. had a quick look at ACOG's as suggested here but think they may still be a bit low. ill have an ask at the shop when i go to my next game if they have any that i can have a look at

I've got a CM16 Raider-L, so identical to yours essentially. As you've already said, front sight isn't removable so it restricts to what is easily and readily available to you. You could always cut down the sight (easy enough) or replace the outer-barrel (easy task to do, but compatibility can be a problem). I've tried using a friends Holosight and it is too short to clear the front sight.

This is what I currently use: WE Europe RDS. It's a relatively cheap part, seems quite robust and well built, doesn't rattle around, multiple brightness settings. It's on the verge of clearing the front sight. Lining up with a horizontal line of sight it matches the post of the front sight quite nicely so it suits quite well. Obviously the engagement range and head positioning will have a drastic effect on this though. The only downside that could be an issue for you is that it is only a 1x magnification scope. The retractable / foldable magnifiers that a few people use don't line-up too well - to the point that I preferred just using the single sight for longer range as the FOV is severely limited when using the magnifier due to the alignment issue.

As mentioned above, you could get a riser mount and then a holographic-style sight to sit high enough to clear the front post, but depending on how anal you are, you'd need to spend a while to zero it to your liking with the G&G hop-up and sight adjustment.

I've got a CM16 Raider-L, so identical to yours essentially. As you've already said, front sight isn't removable so it restricts to what is easily and readily available to you. You could always cut down the sight (easy enough) or replace the outer-barrel (easy task to do, but compatibility can be a problem). I've tried using a friends Holosight and it is too short to clear the front sight.

This is what I currently use: WE Europe RDS. It's a relatively cheap part, seems quite robust and well built, doesn't rattle around, multiple brightness settings. It's on the verge of clearing the front sight. Lining up with a horizontal line of sight it matches the post of the front sight quite nicely so it suits quite well. Obviously the engagement range and head positioning will have a drastic effect on this though. The only downside that could be an issue for you is that it is only a 1x magnification scope. The retractable / foldable magnifiers that a few people use don't line-up too well - to the point that I preferred just using the single sight for longer range as the FOV is severely limited when using the magnifier due to the alignment issue.

As mentioned above, you could get a riser mount and then a holographic-style sight to sit high enough to clear the front post, but depending on how anal you are, you'd need to spend a while to zero it to your liking with the G&G hop-up and sight adjustment.

I'm swaying more to the idea of fitting a riser to clear the front sight purely because i don't want to cut up anything and keep all the original parts as they are. i have considered an outer barrel swap but i don't really want to do anything more than just a straight swap.

I'm looking for a sight that would give me the best sight picture i can get given the fact i have fairly bad eyesight in my right eye (slightly blurry but awaiting surgery to get it sorted)

I've tried many times shooting left handed as my sight in that eye is a lot better but i just cannot get comfortable or used to it with a rifle. Using iron sights is well and truly out of the question for me as i cant properly see the sight picture between the front and rear sights.

From what i can gather a holographic or reflex sight would be the best option. but id be interested to hear from anyone who may have similar sight issues as me and what they have that works for them.

The rifle i'm using is a G&G CM16 raider.

Cheers in advance.

Roundel

Holographic and Reflex sights are designed for shooting with both eyes open. I would suggest perhaps an ACOG which has a 4x magnification. Maybe a trip to your local airsoft store where you can try out some sights might be in order.

• Supporters

Holographic and Reflex sights are designed for shooting with both eyes open. I would suggest perhaps an ACOG which has a 4x magnification. Maybe a trip to your local airsoft store where you can try out some sights might be in order.

The OP stated that his right eye is poor and that he is right handed. So to recommend a sight that he would have to use with the eye with poor vision is great advice🤔.

To the op any red dot like a reflex, aimpoint clone or fake holographic (airsoft ones are just red dots) would be fine as they designed to be used with both eyes open as normal. You don't so much look through the sight like a scope but bring it into your field of vision. This allows you to maintain full view of the area but still have a good aiming point.

It takes a bit of practice to get used to and you see a lot of people at airsoft still closing one eye and squinting through the sights which makes me chuckle.

I think the answer depends on what happens when both eyes are open. Due to the problem in your right eye does the left eye become dominate? Because if it does then perhaps a magnified optic would work best as you could close the other eye and get a bigger sight picture with which to aim. On the other hand if the right eye is remaining dominate then a red dot with both eyes open would work as its meant to and you'll get a dot in your vision and with practice fire both eyes open. But if the dominance switches to your left eye then you may find forcefully switching it back and magnification is better.

What I would recommend is either find both types of sights with players in the safe zone the next time you play and try them out or go into your local airsoft store and take your rifle and fit them and try it out. Both are more than likely going to let you try this and find what is right for you. Personally I would say avoid the holo sights, the ones made currently are very brown and impact on the sight picture and glass clarity is just a major issue with the cheap sights. I have moved exclusively to low end real steel now because of the issues I have had with the cheap airsoft sights and you will likely see that when you go into a store/try other peoples sights.

• Supporters

I regularly recommend them, but I'll do it again; holosun make excellent sights for reasonable money (your reasonable may differ from mine).

Magnified Airsoft optics are normally absolute rubbish, the lowest spec I can recommend is a vision king short dot.

I regularly recommend them, but I'll do it again; holosun make excellent sights for reasonable money (your reasonable may differ from mine).

Magnified Airsoft optics are normally absolute rubbish, the lowest spec I can recommend is a vision king short dot.

I agree. I use a Truglo red dot and a Bushnell short dot. In the end the low end real steel stuff has much better glass and that is what people I feel should be buying. But airsoft stuff should be good enough to work out which sight produces the best result to fix the vision issues.

Archived