Aluminium Piston's....Yay or Nay

Shaddow
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Looking to upgrade my M14 and using a aluminium piston.

Whats the general opinion on aluminium pistons. Are they good to use, or best avoided.

• Supporters

By piston do you mean the piston itself or the piston head? Personally I go for the G&P Xploder piston head and SHS blue piston with metal rack teeth.

As it's metal rack teeth it will withstand the wear better but because the rest is plastic it better absorbs the shock of the piston head hitting the cylinder head. Also because it's plastic it is slightly (only a few grams mind you) lighter therefore wielding less shock on the gearbox and a higher rate of fire.

Before you ask the G&G version 7 gearbox uses a normal version 2 piston (14 teeth i believe) and piston head.

The only reason to use a full metal piston (body and teeth) would be to give better energy bias with heavier ammo.
Basically, you'll joule-creep more efficiently with a heavier piston.

Aside from that, there are loads of good pistons available.
For the TM M14, I'd recommend the Prometheus Hard or SHS 14 steel tooth pistons.

For the price SHS 14 tooth light-weight pistons, steel rack which has been heat strengthen. I went down the aluminium piston route years ago and caused me nothing but problems on a build, not saying it won't work but as others have said you need a good reason to use one.

Archived