Classic Army M14 Mosfet install?

Shaddow
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Anyone have any guides (Pictures) or video of best way to install MOSFET into a classic army or G&G M14?

I can only find instructions for CYMA.

Thanks

Thanks. Seen some people fit the MOSFET inside the gearbox. Would be better if I could do that, just thought it best if there was a guide about on opening gearbox and wiring MOSFET in there.

You don't specifically need to open up the gearbox to install a MOSFET on the M14, though it is neater.
There isn't a drop-in trigger replacement FET for the M14 gearbox, though I have seen one or two pictures of ultra-small FETs squeezed inside the gearbox.

For the most part, the unit will sit either just behind the motor or just in front of the gearbox, depending on the model of M14 (standard or EBR).

Ideally, you'd want to solder the new switching wires to the existing trigger contacts but you could solder them on to the existing wires if you really didn't want to open the gearbox.
It's a pretty easy setup:
1 or 2 wires to the trigger contacts (depending on the FET design)
2 wires to the motor and
2 wires to the battery.

Which MOSFET were you looking at purchasing?

I have a firestorm unit. Believe its about as small as they generally come. I am happy to open the gearbox to install, but with what seems a lot of small screws etc, a guide would be helpful.

Failing that, which way round is best to open the gearbox? Front end facing left or right?

Don't want to lift the upper part off and have a load of things fall of without having seen how they fit.

The Firestorm units are pretty cool and based on the Extreme-Fire SW-Lynx so you know they're good.

The disassembly process is fairly straightforward, though they can be tricky to put back together.
I have a G&G one in the shop - they are basically identical, I'll do a disassembly video for you when I get a minute - hopefully today :)

Thanks. That would be amazing.

Was enough of a pain removing the stock. Quite a bit of force required.

Currently sat with a completely stripped down M14 and contemplating putting back together as stock, or upgrading a few key parts.

Will probably do high torque gears if I open the gearbox. (32:1 SHS gears for V3 gearbox?)

• Supporters

You could try following my disassembly and resassembly videos for a G&G M14 EBR Short:

Thanks. Gearbox surrounding parts are slightly different, but a good enough guide.

Cant find the thread now, but sure someone said to upgrade the tappet plate. But from the video it seems only G&G tappet plate will fit, so no steel upgrade available?

• Supporters

The tappet plate in this gun is fragile as f**k, snapped mine first time i opened it due to a combination of not knowing what i was doing and leaving the spring compressed, fortunately they are cheap and readily available.

As for steel tappet plates i have never seen them, i have heard that they have to be made of plastic so that they have some flex but don't quote me on that. And yeah i think G&G M14s use their own type of tappet plate just to be difficult.

Thanks,

Just putting together all the info for buying upgrade parts.

Anyone know what style motor is used? Short? Long?

Also whats the consensus on using Madbull Black TBB? Or worth spending more for a Prometheus TBB? 509 required.

• Supporters

Thanks,

Just putting together all the info for buying upgrade parts.

Anyone know what style motor is used? Short? Long?

Also whats the consensus on using Madbull Black TBB? Or worth spending more for a Prometheus TBB? 509 required.

Short motor, i think is generally the same across all brands

Ive used Madbull Black Python TBBs and i found them ok TBH, dont know about Prometheus

Got all the parts except motor ordered. Still trying to source a good one that's not too expensive.

Let just hope I got the correct revision of everything. Proper mix n match with this thing!

Archived