Advice on upgrading an old gun

Ravlar89
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Good evening!

Looking to return to Airsoft after a long break and for some reason, during this break, I have get my APS-2 SV. Now, I never upgraded this so currently the fps is poor.

Rather Han get rid of it I'm thinking about upgrading it, however I'm not the most technically minded and with that have no clue about whether current parts are compatible, if they are what are the best parts/upgrades you'd recommend and is it actually worth upgrading a gun that is by now, over 10 years old.

Any help/advice would be much appreciated.

• Supporters

I'd recommend giving it a clean, especially the barrel and gearbox.

Get some rubbing alcohol, soak a cigarette filter with the solution, stick it in the barrel then with a cleaning rod, push it down the barrel. Repeat until the filters are clean when they come out.

On to the bucking, place it in some warm soapy water, or just replace it with a better bucking (G&G green, Maple Leaf, Guarder, Firefly or PDI.)

A quality barrel, although expensive is a good way to increase FPS and accuracy (slightly) PDI make excellent barrels.

If you're handy with electricals, get a MOSFET, this will allow you to use 11v lipos without wearing out the contacts.

Use heavier BB's, like .30g BB's, .20g's are only good for spring shotguns / very low FPS guns. That's my opinion anyway, I find them absolete.

Hope that helps

Thanks for the advice, definitely look at getting a better barrel.

Probably should've made it clear though, it is a spring rifle.

Parts aren't so easy to find nowadays; especially replacement hop units!

I've got one myself and it's just a ball-ache.

If you can find the laylax or classic army hop unit, that's a good place to start.

However, I've got the laylax unit & no matter what I do, it won't go over about 400fps; whatever spring I put in!

• Supporters

You guys realize it's a springer, right?

Fortunately the second best upgradeable springer platform is the APS2.

If you really want to invest in it, then get an Action Army type 96 hopup unit with a good aeg barrel and maple leaf decepticon bucking + concave nub. If the fps is still too low for you then comes the hard part. The SV is not copied by WELL so I don't know if a trigger unit is available for it or not.

But first you should definitely check if the hopup unit is a standard type96 one. The very cheap and very bad copies that look like the SV don't have that. If that's the case, you best forget about the rifle. Try selling it because it's rare so maybe a collector will give enough money to get a VSR-10.

They are awesome platforms, though not the easiest to find parts for now.
I'm a bit sad that I sold my SV before I really got in to it properly.

Laylax make a 90 degree trigger unit for the gun (under their PSS2 line), which I'd highly recommend.
They usually come with the corresponding piston but the ones I've found in stock don't have that pictured, so it would be best to call and ask.

For the barrel, I'd recommend an EdGI Custom Works barrel. The longer it is, the tighter ID I would use.
This allows for better efficiency and energy bias with heavier ammo.
So long as you're using good quality ammo (G&G, TM, Maruzen, Airsoft Surgeon, Geoffs) there will be no issue running a barrel even as tight as 5.98mm **Brace for the misinformed Hate**

For the method of backspin, an R-Hop would be the way to go.
Combine that with the Action Army hop chamber and you'll have a top notch setup :)

For the cylinder assembly, PDI make some excellent components that I would rate higher than the Laylax Teflon cylinder set.
The Laylax pistons can be made compatible with just a small amount of sanding to the guide rings.

The stock is pretty awesome, I can't imagine a good reason to upgrade or change that.
Unless you maybe wanted a hand-made one from Taring Carving (check them out on Facebook).

PDI also make some nice outer barrel assemblies if you want to add some weight and bling!

Failing that, you could just sell it to me ;)
I'd love to own one again.

You guys realize it's a springer, right?

Fortunately the second best upgradeable springer platform is the APS2.

If you really want to invest in it, then get an Action Army type 96 hopup unit with a good aeg barrel and maple leaf decepticon bucking + concave nub. If the fps is still too low for you then comes the hard part. The SV is not copied by WELL so I don't know if a trigger unit is available for it or not.

But first you should definitely check if the hopup unit is a standard type96 one. The very cheap and very bad copies that look like the SV don't have that. If that's the case, you best forget about the rifle. Try selling it because it's rare so maybe a collector will give enough money to get a VSR-10.

I've tried L96 hop units in mine, but they don't fit as standard.

They're ever so slightly different in size & dimensions, because of the different mags. They could maybe be modified to fit; but they won't go in as-is.

Archived