Glasses vs Goggles vs Masks [POLL]

Robert James
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Glasses / Goggles / Masks  

59 members have voted

1. 1. Glasses / Goggles / Masks

• Glasses
    • Goggles
    • Masks

Hi all, I hope I have this in the correct forum?

Anyway, I just wanted some opinions as to what you think is best and why? At some point i'll be ordering my own gear and I cant decide over the glasses/goggles/masks.

Is it a case of depends on where you play or comfort?

What should I be looking for when it comes to ordering said items

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have all 3 and they all serve for different conditions and roles. Its all down to personal preference.

Glasses are great and don't steam up as much as goggles but have more open gaps which they don't cover/protect, goggles can steam up more unless you use mesh which personally I don't get on with but others love. Full masks are mostly mesh as clear lens full face have a large tendency to steam up due to your breathing and sweating all being enclosed

I would not play CQB without full face or goggles and mask at least for example.

I have all 3 and they all serve for different conditions and roles. Its all down to personal preference.

Glasses are great and don't steam up as much as goggles but have more open gaps which they don't cover/protect, goggles can steam up more unless you use mesh which personally I don't get on with but others love. Full masks are mostly mesh as clear lens full face have a large tendency to steam up due to your breathing and sweating all being enclosed

I would not play CQB without full face or goggles and mask at least for example.

Thanks for info... I kind of thought there would be a condition and role about which you choose, but of the 3 would you say you had a personal preference?

Goggles are my fav but not as yet found any that are able to stay totally clear they all mist up a bit

From personal preference I would say goggles that have the plastic lenses and not mesh, the reason I don't like mesh is there is a small chance a bb could break and go through the mesh as cheap bb's do shatter. I use goggles and put anti fog on them, that normally does the trick for me, good field of view and also no risk of anything going in my eyes! I would reccomend if you play CQB to buy a lower face mask though!

• Head Moderator

I have glasses which I use for milsim. However, as I mainly play CQB my preference is to wear a Dye i4 mask with fitted fan kit. Gives good field of view, has thermal lens (which can be swapped for tints) and because it is for paintball gives full face protection. I keep a pair of mesh goggles as emergency back-up in my kit in safe zone or backpack.

I use mesh because I hate how clear lenses that fog up & also give a slightly distorted effect to your vision. None of the options are perfect but as its been said before you must find what works best for you. You have to weigh up the flaws and if you can handle these then go with that option.

I use mesh goggles and a lower mesh mask. I'd like to use lensed goggles but I've yet to find a fair that don't fog up for me. I've tried various fog resistant goggles and coatings but so far nothing has worked. I clearly have hot, moist breath :-S

I use a seperate lower mask so I can remove it in the field to have a drink, eat or take my inhaler whislt keeping my goggles on. For that reason I'd never use a full face mask as that means going all the way back to the safe zone instead. I've played at some sites where that can be a fair trek.

I'd never play with no lower face mask. Seen too many people with chipped teeth and I'd hate to go to work the next day with red welts over my face.

m.

• Supporters

Goggles are my fav but not as yet found any that are able to stay totally clear they all mist up a bit

Have you tried ess turbofan?

Hi all, I hope I have this in the correct forum?

Anyway, I just wanted some opinions as to what you think is best and why? At some point i'll be ordering my own gear and I cant decide over the glasses/goggles/masks.

Is it a case of depends on where you play or comfort?

What should I be looking for when it comes to ordering said items

I have ordered the Bolle Raider. Comes with 3 lenses - clear, smoked and yellow, prescription inserts, and can be changed between strap-style and glasses style. Getting the prescription lenses made tomorrow. In CQB, I would probably combine with a lower face mesh.

• Supporters

Decent fan goggles are the only realistic solution to fogging without resorting to mesh.

Personally unless I'm playing very close CQB I wear glasses (ESS Crossbow) and a gum shield. Glasses and mesh lower always ends up fogged for me, that and I've had a couple of incidents where the mesh has shifted a little and BBs have ricocheted off it and under my glasses.

If in CQB it's full face all the way, I have built my own full face mask from a pair of ESS Turbofan goggles with a plastic lower mask cable tied on. Only one strap required that way and no possibility that the lower can move away from the eye protection to leave gaps.

• Moderators

If in CQB it's full face all the way, I have built my own full face mask from a pair of ESS Turbofan goggles with a plastic lower mask cable tied on. Only one strap required that way and no possibility that the lower can move away from the eye protection to leave gaps.

Did you post a pic up once?

For me, back to my V12s at the moment as the Rev locusts fan need a new thermal lens......currently siting behind me still in the box but were not clearing well

Im not keen on my v12. Find they still fog up badly. Tried applying soem anti fog. I guess im just a sweaty beast when playing. Think i may have to bite the bullet and invest in some turbo fans at some point

• Moderators

Im not keen on my v12. Find they still fog up badly. Tried applying soem anti fog. I guess im just a sweaty beast when playing. Think i may have to bite the bullet and invest in some turbo fans at some point

I sweat loads as well, only use fogtech wipes before a game.

Have you removed all the foam?, you don't need it 🙂🙂

I have fan goggles but they still have occasional issues, I haven't removed the foam from them yet which may help more with air flow and not rely on the fan as much?

I sweat loads as well, only use fogtech wipes before a game.

Have you removed all the foam?, you don't need it 🙂🙂

I have fan goggles but they still have occasional issues, I haven't removed the foam from them yet which may help more with air flow and not rely on the fan as much?

Removed it from the top only so may have to try and get the rest of it out. Was a right bodge job though bare in mind aha

• Moderators

Give it s go, with a gentle breeze or some movement it helps 🙂

I have tried lots of clear lense eye protection and regardless of fan or no fan they still must up so it's steel mesh for me.

However i am experimenting with various anti fog treatments.

The best solution I have found remains my Revision Locusts with fan and Revision anti fog wipes. Its not 100%, hence why I continue to try other things but having seen the problems mesh has its just not an option for me.

Ive found bob heath works a treat in terms of anti fog. Been joggibg with them on so im nice and sweaty. Panting like s good un snd no fog what so ever. I spray each lense once and left to dry. Then again after and rubbed it in so it wasnt patchy or blury. Worth every penny of 6 quid imho

You'll be able to jog in a pair of £2.99 chinese clone glasses without fog because you're creating airflow.

The real test is being hot and sweaty, sitting still in a bush for 20 minutes on a cold day.

Ill try again tonight and come to rest at home with them on after a run and oll report back my findings boss

still trying to find something that works for me. i sweat buckets at the thought of just running around.

Last game i played i used some revision sawfly glasses but the amount i was sweating meant they fogged up very quickly and to the point they were useless.

Borrowed a mesh mask and that was better, but because i wear glasses, i couldn't use them in conjunction with the mask.

I'm currently looking for some goggles with a fan that will fit over my glasses. cant get to any shops that may have these in stock though so buying on the web is going to be a bit of a gamble.

Archived