BB guns found by 'Can't Pay Won't Pay' team on TV.

Beethoven
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

I watched this programme earlier this week and in one part of the programme the bailiffs (or High Court officers) were looking for women's dresses in lieu of payment from a debtor who had disappeared. Suddenly, one of bailiffs shouted 'guns! Call the police'

When the police arrived, they inspected four guns and all turned out to be bb guns. I must say, the guns did look realistic though, so I was not surprised by the bailiff's reaction. When the police arrived, they soon declared them to be bb guns and legal to own and swiftly departed. They didn't seem bothered to check for UKARA membership and so I suspect that if you have black guns in your possession in your house, it is legal, regardless of whether you are a UKARA member or not.

I saw that episode. I instantly said yeah they are airsoft guns when i saw them even before the police arrived. But to the untrained eye i can see why the balifs were mistaken.

Have to say the can't pay program is a guilty day time telly pleasure lol. I do wonder how much is for the camera though lol

I find it really interesting too. The debtors seem to fall into about four categories, i.e. the liars who claim they have nothing to do with the debt and in any case have no money to pay; the ones who negotiate an installment plan and then disappear; the ones who admit the debt but have little money and so have to rely on friends and family to help them out; and those at rock bottom who have no money and no friends or family to help them (in these cases, the debt is usually written off).

Being a bailiff must make you very cynical about human nature.

The ones that annoy me the most are the people who refuse to pay back or leave homes even though they have not paid a penny in rent or even attempted to sort the debts, imo to many people have a "the world owes me eveything " attitude. The squatters episode also annoyed me at the amount of damage they caused to the building and area and still have the cheek to say what harm are they doing by occupying a empty building ....

Not sure I would have the patience to do that job ,

The ones that annoy me the most are the people who refuse to pay back or leave homes even though they have not paid a penny in rent or even attempted to sort the debts, imo to many people have a "the world owes me eveything " attitude. The squatters episode also annoyed me at the amount of damage they caused to the building and area and still have the cheek to say what harm are they doing by occupying a empty building ....

Not sure I would have the patience to do that job ,

The most contemptible debtor I saw on the programme was a woman who had spent her rent money on designer clothes and other branded goods rather than paying the rent (she owed many thousands). I also hate to see the state some of the rented houses are left in. I couldn't do this job either.

The most contemptible debtor I saw on the programme was a woman who had spent her rent money on designer clothes and other branded goods rather than paying the rent (she owed many thousands). I also hate to see the state some of the rented houses are left in. I couldn't do this job either.

My god some of the rentals are awful tips and I have no idea how they can live like that, doesn't take much to walk around with a bin bag and a hoover every now and then doesn't take much to keep a house liveable

On a serious note though some of the rent prices on properties on this show are terrible. I'm not against land lords making a profit of course they should if they are investing their money into it, however it does show something needs to be done long term about affordable rent and house prices .

Remember seeing one episode where a girl in her twenties had defaulted on her rent for months on end. The twist came when the debt collectors found out the girls dad had agreed to be a guarantor so they went afyer him.

The bloke didnt even know her daughter had defaulted on the rent so when the bailiffs turned up he was majorly p***ed off.

What made it even worse was that when the old man had spoken to her, her answer was "well its your debt now, you pay it"

What a total utter oxygen thief!

Felt really sorry for the bloke as he seemed like a decent guy unlike some of the pondlife you see on that programme.

I would never allow my name on someone else's debt, so many problems waiting to happen when you do. People tend to have bad credit for a reason. I'm sure there was some footballer on it sometime ago he and his wife were absolute cunts

I would never be a guarantor for anyone, family included.

If you cant afford it then you cant have it is my philosophy.

It seems these days people and companies are all too willing to let people have stuff on credit or finance without properly looking into if they can afford the repayments and still have a quality of life.

Personally i hate credit cards and finance etc but they are a necessary evil if you want to buy your own home.

I would never allow my name on someone else's debt, so many problems waiting to happen when you do. People tend to have bad credit for a reason. I'm sure there was some footballer on it sometime ago he and his wife were absolute cunts

His name is 'Razor' Ruddock. He played for several Premier League clubs and had a reputation as a hard man. After he left football, I think he turned to drink and went bankrupt. If think it was his wife who was mouthing off over an unpaid bill involving dogs. When he turned up, if I remember rightly the issue was soon settled.

His name is 'Razor' Ruddock. He played for several Premier League clubs and had a reputation as a hard man. After he left football, I think he turned to drink and went bankrupt. If think it was his wife who was mouthing off over an unpaid bill involving dogs. When he turned up, if I remember rightly the issue was soon settled.

Sounds about right , didn't know the name but remember the episode

The women threw a glass of water at the officers and shouting her mouth off before they even had a chance to talk proprely. and the bloke turned up accusing them of scaring the kids away and quite obviously told his kid to run off down the street while he chased after him in his car.. don't think it ever got sorted until the end credits as he never paid up when given the oportunity twice on the actual program

Not the conduct of decent people.

• Supporters

Never watched this show and never will. Why anyone wants to sit there watching someone elses misfortune and misery is beyond me. The whole baliff industry should be got rid of and an attachment of earnings should be the way forward.

How much of a social parasite do you have to be to watch this crap or any reality show that is designed to demean and humilate someone?

I am not saying all the people are nice and I am sure that a lot of them are human waste but so are the people sat in their living rooms dribbling over this garbage.

Walk a mile as they say.

Never watched this show and never will. Why anyone wants to sit there watching someone elses misfortune and misery is beyond me. The whole baliff industry should be got rid of and an attachment of earnings should be the way forward.

How much of a social parasite do you have to be to watch this crap or any reality show that is designed to demean and humilate someone?

I am not saying all the people are nice and I am sure that a lot of them are human waste but so are the people sat in their living rooms dribbling over this garbage.

Walk a mile as they say.

Most of the time I would agree with you , I can't stand most reality shows but to be fair to the team behind can't pay it's not bad, it's nothing like the usual crap that channel 4 churns out e.g. benefits program that is made to show the negative side of benefits because they know it wI'll cause a reaction from viewers. And don't get me started on the georide shore and the rest of those types haha god awful tv but don't tell the GF as she loves it 😂

As for getting rid of baliffs , it's hard enough for people/business to get the money owed , unfortunatly if you removed that threat there's plenty of people who would take advantage and never pay anything back while people like me and you work hard to pay it back. If anything what needs to happen is better education on dealing with money and debt before it happens and of course more support for helping people before it gets to that point. Rent is obviously a issue as well especially in the cities where alot of the reposetions seem to occur due to unaffordable rent prices

• Supporters

Most of the time I would agree with you , I can't stand most reality shows but to be fair to the team behind can't pay it's not bad, it's nothing like the usual crap that channel 4 churns out e.g. benefits program that is made to show the negative side of benefits because they know it wI'll cause a reaction from viewers. And don't get me started on the georide shore and the rest of those types haha god awful tv but don't tell the GF as she loves it 😂

Sorry but the idea of watching baliffs take peoples stuff or make them homeless fills me with revulsion. I have been around a bit and have learnt that nothings ever black and white. Known a few people in the baliff industry and they were all tossers. Not saying people should get away with not paying what they owe but the whole system is medieval and flawed.

Don't want to see people down on their luck as that's not entertainment its a reason to hate our broken society and system. All you are doing by watching this crap.is lining the pockets of the baliffs and tv channels who are the most unscrupulous and corrupt people on these shows.

Sorry but the idea of watching baliffs take peoples stuff or make them homeless fills me with revulsion. I have been around a bit and have learnt that nothings ever black and white. Known a few people in the baliff industry and they were all tossers. Not saying people should get away with not paying what they owe but the whole system is medieval and flawed.

Don't want to see people down on their luck as that's not entertainment its a reason to hate our broken society and system. All you are doing by watching this crap.is lining the pockets of the baliffs and tv channels who are the most unscrupulous and corrupt people on these shows.

I don't entirely disagree with you, and I don't think anyone believes it's black and white, in fact the show actualy shows this in that it will give both sides of the story. the show provides a view point from the baliff perspective and you get the same info as they do when they go in which gives you a idea of what they have to deal with which in itself can be a eye opener, and the baliffs themselves have spoken about the system and quite often pointed out the problems with it maybe the particular baliffs in the show are a minority in that they are not the usual meat head bouncer types you expect. Or maybe there is a huge mix of people in the industry but unfortunately due to what they do will always come out looking like the bad guys.

• Supporters

It's TV show the gloss over things and manipulate the facts for viewing pleasure.

The simple fact is watching this crap is in the same class as rubber necking at an accident, its finding pleasure in some else's misfortune.

How would you feel if you fell on hard times and these clowns turned up your doorstep with a film crew to air your dirty laundry to the nation. How much shame and persecution do you think the people who end up on these shows go through after all their neighbours, friends and work colleagues have seen in it.

It's bad that this system exists it's even worse we use it for entertainment and for some tv exec to make money off the fact someone's life has gone wrong.

Archived