First night op - tips

AshOnSnow
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

First night op coming up. To be honest, I'm a bit worried I'm going to be up against ridiculously geared up airsofters with FLIR scopes, tritium sights, drones and all sorts. No idea what to expect.

If you would take one piece of equipment to a night game, what would it be? (EXCEPT TORCHES AND LIGHTS!!!)

Anything: gen3 night vision

Realistically within my (and possibly your) immediately spendable budget: A powerful torch. Night-vision is all very well and good in low light conditions, but it's useless when someones shining you with a 1000 lumen strobe. Your general ability to see at night isn't actually that bad when your surroundings are dark, so a hard counter to most night vision equiptment is quite simply to bombard it with light.

Either that, or a team mate with night vision and a laser. Have him point the target out, then the rest of the team just have to shoot at the dot.

• Supporters

Bright torch with a momentary switch. Don't bother with a strobe it'a just as bad for you as it is for them.

Gen3 night vision and an infrared laser is obviously the gold standard, but you're looking at £2k+ for a workable setup.

• Supporters

On top of the bright torch with a momentary only cap/remote switch, a small, fairly dim, red/green/blue (preferably red, just not white) light somewhere on your gun or helmet, or somewhere easily accessible. If all you've got is a bright white light, you'll be shining a massive "HELLO, I'M OVER HERE" every single time you're in a dark place and need to safely navigate your way around anywhere. Gives away where you are, lights up your team mates, really stands out amongst the darkness from long distances. Should be able to pick up what you need for very little money on ebay.

• Supporters

Also move slowly and stay still a lot. You will be invisible to most night visions that way.

Try to use your natural night vision. Your eyes adjust in a few minutes but if you shine a light, the adjusting starts again.

This one is a bit pirate: if you need to use a light for a short time to orient yourself, keep one eye closed. That eye will still see in the dark when you turn the light off. Allegedly that's why pirates used the eye patch. When they went below deck from the bright sunshine, they removed the eye patch and could still fight.

[double post]

Anything: gen3 night vision

Realistically within my (and possibly your) immediately spendable budget: A powerful torch. Night-vision is all very well and good in low light conditions, but it's useless when someones shining you with a 1000 lumen strobe. Your general ability to see at night isn't actually that bad when your surroundings are dark, so a hard counter to most night vision equiptment is quite simply to bombard it with light.

Either that, or a team mate with night vision and a laser. Have him point the target out, then the rest of the team just have to shoot at the dot.

Lol £14,000 for airsoft night vision - that's what I call overkill!

Eat lots of carrots

Bright torch with a momentary switch. Don't bother with a strobe it'a just as bad for you as it is for them.

Gen3 night vision and an infrared laser is obviously the gold standard, but you're looking at £2k+ for a workable setup.

On top of the bright torch with a momentary only cap/remote switch, a small, fairly dim, red/green/blue (preferably red, just not white) light somewhere on your gun or helmet, or somewhere easily accessible. If all you've got is a bright white light, you'll be shining a massive "HELLO, I'M OVER HERE" every single time you're in a dark place and need to safely navigate your way around anywhere. Gives away where you are, lights up your team mates, really stands out amongst the darkness from long distances. Should be able to pick up what you need for very little money on ebay.

I probably should have mentioned at the very start that there are no personal torches (I assume that includes weaponlights, otherwise I'd take my 600lm pistol light) allowed for the op!

A laser is a good idea though. Any suggestions? And what occurred to me in the night was probably some knee pads and elbow pads because I will almost certainly trip over something and land on rubble or concrete at some point. You know you obsess over airsoft a bit too much when you dream about airsoft shopping :P

Bum bag! Organization is key.. My first night was spent panicking over my lost car keys!

On my first skirmish, I locked my car keys in the boot. I have such a first name, a few people just called me car keys, or no keys, after that. It kinda stuck.

Managed to get the keys back by shimmying open the back window, then using a broom handle hook contraption to pick them up and bring them out the rear window. Missed the entire first game :P

Also move slowly and stay still a lot. You will be invisible to most night visions that way.

Try to use your natural night vision. Your eyes adjust in a few minutes but if you shine a light, the adjusting starts again.

This one is a bit pirate: if you need to use a light for a short time to orient yourself, keep one eye closed. That eye will still see in the dark when you turn the light off. Allegedly that's why pirates used the eye patch. When they went below deck from the bright sunshine, they removed the eye patch and could still fight.

Just take along a GSOH...and enjoy yourself.... :D

I always go along with a sense of humour. Sometimes that pisses people off, mind. There was a dude on my team at a sunday skirmish once in full genuine British army kit - MK6 helmet, armour plates and all - who started shouting at me to go and do push ups because I kept giggling at him - every time a marshal walked past, he'd stop and shout "atteeeeeeenSHUN!" Apparently that kind of guy is what you refer to as "Captain Milsim"

@AshonShow...'Apparently that kind of guy is what you refer to as "Captain Milsim" '

I think I would call him "Captain Muppet" or something less kind personally !!

• Supporters

Seriously? No torches allowed? To a night game? ...

That's the most fucking ridiculous thing I've read today. Either they must be lending everyone some kind of lights or the site is lit or something else, because not allowing you any sort of torch to see where the hell you're going isn't making a fun, suspenseful game, it's bloody unsafe. It's rarely BBs that injure people in this game, it's falling over and hitting their heads or damaging limbs etc etc; wondering around at night with no lights allowed is pure lunacy.

I always go along with a sense of humour. Sometimes that pisses people off, mind. There was a dude on my team at a sunday skirmish once in full genuine British army kit - MK6 helmet, armour plates and all - who started shouting at me to go and do push ups because I kept giggling at him - every time a marshal walked past, he'd stop and shout "atteeeeeeenSHUN!" Apparently that kind of guy is what you refer to as "Captain Milsim"

That sounds like someone who is either going hard with the jokes and has the world's driest sense of humour, or someone who is quite genuinely unwell in the head. Not in any sort of funny way, like actually ill in some unfortunate manner.

Seriously? No torches allowed? To a night game? ...

That's the most f*cking ridiculous thing I've read today. Either they must be lending everyone some kind of lights or the site is lit or something else, because not allowing you any sort of torch to see where the hell you're going isn't making a fun, suspenseful game, it's bloody unsafe. It's rarely BBs that injure people in this game, it's falling over and hitting their heads or damaging limbs etc etc; wondering around at night with no lights allowed is pure lunacy.

That sounds like someone who is either going hard with the jokes and has the world's driest sense of humour, or someone who is quite genuinely unwell in the head. Not in any sort of funny way, like actually ill in some unfortunate manner.

They give you a small torch but you can only use it in an emergency to signal a marshal. Using a torch otherwise I think will get you kicked off the game.

It's on an old abandoned WW2 army site with bunkers, trenches, rubble piles and all sorts, and I think it's going to be pretty much pitch for the last half of the game. It's not lit as far as I know, so yeah, I posted in the classifieds for a helmet and some elbow and knee protection.

First game I went to a few weeks back was a night game.

Started around 7pm and 30 mins later, the sun was gone.

I'd definitely reccomend knee pads. Being able to just see the figure of things right in front of you while standing, it's a certainty just like I did, that you'll stumble/trip over some things, or even when you take a knee have something jab your leg.

Torches are hit or miss. I found using both high powered torches and dim have their problems.

High power is just screaming "Shoot at this light" whereas a dim torch didn't really light up areas.

I made use of it by turning it on and if shining it on myself and the floor after shouting but so everyone could see I was going back to spawn and wasn't an "alive player".

There was a few guys in the other team who did indeed run night vision, and yes we did get annihilated.

Certainly didn't annoy me in the slightest, nor those actually running night vision who got hit.

The only problem I found from that game in regards to torches was it basically being a huge target, or a team mate behind you with a powerful torch shining it ahead of him and right onto you. Cue most of other team then shooting at you.

There were numerous areas with deep mud/streams. One French (I believe) player was unlucky enough to find himself knee deep in mud during a game, and I was up to my shins in another part of the game site.

No torches does sound odd. I'd have thought that would be a serious health and safety issue.

One item to take? I'd say good supportive boots or knee pads. Definitely helped a lot.

First game I went to a few weeks back was a night game.

Started around 7pm and 30 mins later, the sun was gone.

I'd definitely reccomend knee pads. Being able to just see the figure of things right in front of you while standing, it's a certainty just like I did, that you'll stumble/trip over some things, or even when you take a knee have something jab your leg.

Torches are hit or miss. I found using both high powered torches and dim have their problems.

High power is just screaming "Shoot at this light" whereas a dim torch didn't really light up areas.

I made use of it by turning it on and if shining it on myself and the floor after shouting but so everyone could see I was going back to spawn and wasn't an "alive player".

There was a few guys in the other team who did indeed run night vision, and yes we did get annihilated.

Certainly didn't annoy me in the slightest, nor those actually running night vision who got hit.

The only problem I found from that game in regards to torches was it basically being a huge target, or a team mate behind you with a powerful torch shining it ahead of him and right onto you. Cue most of other team then shooting at you.

There were numerous areas with deep mud/streams. One French (I believe) player was unlucky enough to find himself knee deep in mud during a game, and I was up to my shins in another part of the game site.

No torches does sound odd. I'd have thought that would be a serious health and safety issue.

One item to take? I'd say good supportive boots or knee pads. Definitely helped a lot.

Bought new boots for it a few days ago. I'm not sure if there is an "other" team - it appears to be more of an objective based search and destroy op, rather than a typical team v team.

Although yes - pitch black, no torches and being encouraged to bring our own "inventive" melee weapons does sound like a bit of a recipe for disaster!

No torches is f*cking retarded, what if you get lost?!

£14k on NV is more than I've heard of anyone spending, PVS15's are less than that new!

I think getting lost and disoriented is part of the aim of the organisers in terms of atmosphere.

idk - i just searched night vision on amazon and clicked the first one that came up: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Armasight-Dual-Tube-Vision-Binocular-Phosphor/dp/B018RQSY6K/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1475777338&sr=8-1&keywords=gen+3+night+vision

• Supporters

They give you a small torch but you can only use it in an emergency to signal a marshal. Using a torch otherwise I think will get you kicked off the game.

It's on an old abandoned WW2 army site with bunkers, trenches, rubble piles and all sorts, and I think it's going to be pretty much pitch for the last half of the game. It's not lit as far as I know, so yeah, I posted in the classifieds for a helmet and some elbow and knee protection.

I think getting lost and disoriented is part of the aim of the organisers in terms of atmosphere.

idk - i just searched night vision on amazon and clicked the first one that came up:

Personally, I'd never attend an event with a rule like that, quadruply so if the site is as you describe. I'll be my left bollock right now at least 1 person minimum trips over and does at least some damage to themselves, if not worse. If that doesn't happen, it'll only be through the most insane, incredible good fortune imaginable.

The people organising this thing have their priorities ALL f'd up. The phrase is "Safety First" for a reason, not "Immersion in to some insane apocalpytical situation that's so utterly dire you can't even find a bloody torch First.. Safety Second". Just ridiculous.

If you're determined to go, I'd strongly recommend you get a small, red filtered light and use it. They're enough just to see what's at your feet but incredibly hard to spot from more than a few metres away, won't light up around corners/through windows of buildings you're in. If the staff give you grief for using something like that.. they're complete and total morons.

No torches is f*cking retarded

This.

You all seem pretty much in agreement on this one, so perhaps I've misread something

Game Rules (copied and pasted)

Conditions:

Minimum Age 18

For safety – ALL players must be familiar with Com’s Site 3 (ie played at least ONE Skirmish Day)

350fps Maximum for ALL Weapons.

Members – Priority Booking.

Anyone who isn’t sure if their Membership is up to date – please contact us BEFORE Booking is Open! All Non – Members will have to wait until 7:30pm before they can book in.

Any Member who is booking in Non-Members BEFORE 7:30pm as a group booking will be instructed that those players will be placed in a queue if any spaces are available after 7:30pm!

REFUNDS OR CANCELLATIONS WILL BE HONOURED UP TO WEDNESDAY 12TH OF OCTOBER.

Times:

Gate Opens at 4pm – Closes at 5pm. (Please do NOT be late!)

Briefing 5:30pm – Event Starts at 6pm ---> Endex approx 11:30-12:00

Hot Food Served 4pm-5:30pm (Free hot drinks available all evening)

Camping Available please state on booking if required.

We are running a usual Open Skirmish on SUNDAY – please let us know if you wish to take part and we will knock £5 off your Walk On Fee! J (please pay for the Sunday Skirmish on SUNDAY!)

Equipment & Kit Rules:

Pistol and Shotguns ONLY. NO HPA NO ELECTRIC. NO FULL AUTO. NO SNIPERS. NO PYRO, NO BFG's!

Pump Action Shotguns available for Hire (please add £10 if required)

NO PERSONAL TORCHES TO BE USED AT ANY TIME DURING THE EVENT

(However, for SAFETY, you may carry one and use it ONLY in an emergency if required!)

Maximum of TWO Airsoft Weapons may be carried at any one time.

You may use your own Pistol and Shotgun . ** STRICT** Max 350 fps rule and Chrono of ALL weapons will be undertaken. ALL R.I.F.T Airsoft Game Day Regulations will be upheld.

Ammo and Magazine Quantities will be regulated to a MAXIMUM of 5 Pistol Magazines & 10 Multishot Shotgun Shells per Weapon per Scenario (you may reload when we return to SAFEZONE!)

PLEASE REMEMBER GUYS; This is not a Skirmish - use your ammunition wisely!

Melee weapons allowed, 1 per person, nothing dangerous! (Be inventive)

Dress to impress! Look The Part! You are a Professional Fully Trained Member of Bio-Corp Industries with Combat Experience!

NO Joggers, Trainers or Loungewear! Military or PMC Loadout required!

A FULL SAFETY BRIEF & RULES WILL BE GIVEN BEFORE THE START OF THIS EVENT.

• Supporters

idk - i just searched night vision on amazon and clicked the first one that came up: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Armasight-Dual-Tube-Vision-Binocular-Phosphor/dp/B018RQSY6K/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1475777338&sr=8-1&keywords=gen+3+night+vision

They'd be great for looking at something about 2 miles away!

• Supporters

For safety – ALL players must be familiar with Com’s Site 3 (ie played at least ONE Skirmish Day)

It's alright, they got the safety covered with this part. Who wouldn't be able to learn where every single step, random piece of debris, broken floor and protruding pipe is at a site after a single sunday skirmish right?

*le facepalm*

Truly absurd.

Bought new boots for it a few days ago. I'm not sure if there is an "other" team - it appears to be more of an objective based search and destroy op, rather than a typical team v team.

Although yes - pitch black, no torches and being encouraged to bring our own "inventive" melee weapons does sound like a bit of a recipe for disaster!

Yeah, we played games like capture the flag, also had to take over a small village type area.

Either way, like everyone is saying, a small torch to at least see where you're going at times is a good idea.

Planner chaos and confusion only leads to injury through not being able to see, and anger as I imagine people really will just shoot at anything that moves if everyone is scattered!

Archived