GBB - Colder Climate

AshOnSnow
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

I'm new to airsoft. I'm sure we've all noticed the drop in temperature just recently to remind us that yes, winter really is coming :P

I've heard that gas pistols don't work so well in cold weather. Are there any fixes/remedies that can be done to combat this? I have a night op coming up that I've paid a fair amount of money for, where temperatures might drop to around 5 degrees, and with just the one pistol I'm taking, it would be a real bummer to turn up and then find my primary weapon is useless!

It's a P226 (WE F226 R), I've been using ASG 0.20 Blaster ammo with ASG UltrAir Green Gas.

Should I switch over to a different gas?

best GBB pisols are the TM ones, plastic stops cooldown, folk seem too keen on metal way too much when it comes to airsoft.

You could always buy the ultimate gas pistol... the Mk23 NBB, In summer I can get over 100 shots out of a magazine at >300 fps, in winter I'd expect to still be able to fire off a minimum of 2 full mags without losing fps!

If using a gun with a metal slide try the NUPROL 4.0 gas in the large bottles. The large bottles not only allow more fills but you'll maintain a higher psi per fill for longer too.

I have the WE P226 and use the Guarder power up gas in the colder months to compensate a little.

Do you know if it comes in smaller bottles (I can only find the big 2000l canisters, and ideally I'd like to be able to keep one in a spare mag pouch)

• Supporters

I have the WE P226 and use the Guarder power up gas in the colder months to compensate a little.

The stuff in the black can? I tried that in my old Socom Gear M9 once. Chronoed at the best part of 400FPS!

Dont think so. I only have the big cannister.

Do you know if it comes in smaller bottles (I can only find the big 2000l canisters, and ideally I'd like to be able to keep one in a spare mag pouch)

Ha.

Bought it this summer so havent used it in a game yet, only test firing in the garden. I use ordinary green gas or CO2 through the summer months and wont switch until it gets really cold. Mags close to the body solves a lot of issues of course.

The stuff in the black can? I tried that in my old Socom Gear M9 once. Chronoed at the best part of 400FPS!

That grenade thing is epic!

mags in your armpits before the game :P

Or those handwarmer packets in your mag pouches :P

No issue with the mechanism or hop up on the higher power gas?

The high power gas will perfoem in the cold like low power gas does in the warm. Think of it like viscosity.... A car manufacturer will recommend a different oil viscosity dependant on the part of the world it will be used in. At room temperature both oils will have different properties but outside in operation in their respective climate they would appear the same.

No, but its a secondary and I do milsims so I probably fire less than a pistol mag each weekend.

No issue with the mechanism or hop up on the higher power gas?

of course the alternative is CO2 but dont think WE sell co2 mags for these pistols.

I have one for my WE M92.

The mags are expensive enough, without having to worry about getting two different types.

What do you think about using .30s with Nuprol 4.0? Or is that overkill and likely to bend my pistol over and give it a rodgering? (Pistol is my primary (and only!) weapon)

.3s seem a bit overkill for a pistol. I normally use .25s.

Don't know about Nuprol 4.

The Power Up gas has arrived in the UK now as Fire Support had a delivery.

the weight of BB will not cause your gun an issue, if however it is too heavy your hop will not lift it or it will travel so slow the person you point it at will think they are in Bullet Time in The Matrix, and ninja around the round!

IMO you should use a weight of BB that will travel above 280fps that the hop can lift consistently.

the weight of BB will not cause your gun an issue, if however it is too heavy your hop will not lift it or it will travel so slow the person you point it at will think they are in Bullet Time in The Matrix, and ninja around the round!

IMO you should use a weight of BB that will travel above 280fps that the hop can lift consistently.

The pistol itself is only 260fps on .20

I absolutely love pistols, but they are designed for a specific purpose and you are going to find using a pistol as your only weapon limiting. While I Appreciate you may have budget issues, you probably need to start thinking about buying a rifle to compliment your pistol.

I absolutely love pistols, but they are designed for a specific purpose and you are going to find using a pistol as your only weapon limiting. While I Appreciate you may have budget issues, you probably need to start thinking about buying a rifle to compliment your pistol.

I'm still getting a feel for what best suits me before going out and buying a rifle. Plus, I need to sort out UKARA and stuff first. From the games I've played so far, I tend to be settling into a stealth/dmr role. Not quite as long range as sniper, but even with the hire M4s I've been using, I don't think I've ever felt the need for full auto once. So, I think I need to start looking at a semiauto dmr - maybe if there's an HK417, or MK11, that can be upgraded to fire .30s at 350-400 with decent accuracy.

I have an idea of a DMR setup that would work well in the sites I play at - MK11/M16/HK417 type, adjustable stock, foregrip/bipod combo, 4x ACOG with either mounted mini RDS, or a fullsize RDS on a 45 degree offset rail mount.

I think I'm probably best off still playing a few more games in different places until I'm sure, then having one made to spec with custom internals. And I can always get an inexpensive CM16 raider or something like that as well for when things call for a bit more close quarter work.

.... I think I need to start looking at a semiauto dmr - maybe if there's an HK417, or MK11, that can be upgraded to fire .30s at 350-400 with decent accuracy.....

I doubt you'll find a UK site that will allow you to use a DMR that runs at 400fps on 0.3g BBs, even 350fps on 0.3g is too hot for a lot of UK sites!

The site I play at the max fps on a DMR using 0.3g BBs would be <328fps although most others I think would allow up to 345fps

Archived