Advice for first airsoft sniper rifle

980ti
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Looking to buy a sniper and was wondering whats the best for an average experienced player.

have looked at the well mb01 and found some upgrade parts like the trigger box and springs from airsoft pro

any advice on what brand and models like WELL's MBxx series would be greatly appreciated

thanks

The best compatibility for parts is always with the Tokyo Marui VSR, its got the widest lists of parts and the nice tight tolerances to begin with but its also too low FPS to competitively use out of the box and its too weak internally to run just a spring upgrade, so you need to dump some money into it from the outset. People buy them to get the TM hop unit and replace almost everything else. Its the best base so its what I would recommend but there are other possibilities that are cheaper and more usable out of the box to begin with but have some differences in compatibility. The main thing to consider is you need to upgrade to 500 fps and with high consistency and accurate parts from the outset, go in with that mindset and research your parts and £1000 later you should have a decent gun.

Don't be fooled by the 450fps on the tag if you can go to a shop and ask them to prove it with a chrono, I got my son a sniper MB4407D from an online shop which stated 450 fps when restricter taken out, low and behold it ran at 255fps with no restricter to take out? no it sits awaiting a full upgrade to the internals which will run at around £200.

• Supporters

Don't be fooled by the 450fps on the tag if you can go to a shop and ask them to prove it with a chrono, I got my son a sniper MB4407D from an online shop which stated 450 fps when restricter taken out, low and behold it ran at 255fps with no restricter to take out? no it sits awaiting a full upgrade to the internals which will run at around £200.

That sounds like an air leak. Tighten up the cylinder head.

That sounds like an air leak. Tighten up the cylinder head.

Hi, I've had it apart PTFE tapped the air nozzle and still no good, think it was the cheap stock internals thats why looking to upgrade all internals. As you stated the We MB44 range parts are hard to come by and at around £200 to upgrade i'm looking at possibly just buying a new Gas sniper.

Hi, I've had it apart PTFE tapped the air nozzle and still no good, think it was the cheap stock internals thats why looking to upgrade all internals. As you stated the We MB44 range parts are hard to come by and at around £200 to upgrade i'm looking at possibly just buying a new Gas sniper.

I wouldn't go gas unless you plan on HPA tapping it as they are very inconsistent. My KC-02 (which is bloody lovely and awesome and amazing and my favorite airsoft gun) is very accurate and has fantastic range but even with all the mods and upgrades it still suffers with temperature changes. I honestly do love it but spring is king when it comes to sniper rifles IMO

I wouldn't go gas unless you plan on HPA tapping it as they are very inconsistent. My KC-02 (which is bloody lovely and awesome and amazing and my favorite airsoft gun) is very accurate and has fantastic range but even with all the mods and upgrades it still suffers with temperature changes. I honestly do love it but spring is king when it comes to sniper rifles IMO

Hi PT247,

Any other spring rifle you would recommend as the MB44 had a very stiff spring to pull back, hence the reasoning behind getting a gas sniper

• Root Admin

Mancraft SDiK is a far more reliable 'gas' solution. The Wolverine Bolt is getting good reviews too. Both massively reduce the spring power (SDiK) or completely remove it (Bolt).

Also if your sniper has gas then stop feeding it so many beans.

h273OU7.png

Mancraft SDiK is a far more reliable 'gas' solution. The Wolverine Bolt is getting good reviews too. Both massively reduce the spring power (SDiK) or completely remove it (Bolt).

HPA isn't everyone's cup of tea though.

As far as rifles I'd recommend, the TM VSR is #1 in my book.

You can run a longer inner barrel and/or a tighter bore which would allow you to run a softer spring for the same fps. Lube also helps.... of the right kind, in the right places does wonders, as does ensuring the screws are not in too tight as they can rub on the bolt adding friction and premature wear!

• Supporters

My advice for a beginner/intermediate BAR... Don't. Now, I won't persuade you otherwise, so if you are going down this route, then, as stated, be prepared to spend a lot of money. Start with a VSR or clone, build it up (yourself - dont have a tech do it for you), and you will be fine. Also, something people almost never mention - practice with it. I have just finished my VSR build. Usually when I finish a gun (this was my 11th gun build) ill fine it a few times to make sure it works, zero it, then zero my sight to match it. But for a BAR, you will want to spend a lot of time behind it before you seriously field it. A 10 round burst will make up for any sort of inaccuracy on the user's part - but you will have only one shot. Do not miss your chance to blow. This opportunity... wait... what was I talking about again?... :D

I guess it would depend on what sort of range you want to engage targets at....as an intermediate player (like myself) maybe you should look at a weapon that can give you an all round solution...I own a JG SL9 (AEG) which runs semi/full auto and is very accurate up to around 130 - 140ft....but the advantage is, because it fires at 350fps (0.2g) I can still engage targets at close range with out reverting to my side arm.

Nb...I have made no upgrades to my rifle bar adding a scope and suppressor(for the look only :) )

i picked up a secondhand mb01.

added an m150 spring, sealed the hop. had a good few hundred rounds through it and its going well. The sear hasnt crumbled to dust in spite of everyone telling me that this was certain to happen the second i looked at it. it dosent show any signs of extra wear. the only fault i can find is you get the odd flier. The whole thing including upgrades cost me less than £100. oh and polish your barrel..... a lot, dont bother with an expensive tightbore.

Ammo is very important, the heavier the better. but finding a balance is key. too low velocity and you will be missing moving targets, too high and accuracy is poo.

Im not going to claim it shoots as well as something thats had a lot of money sunk into it, but it works.

sniping is hard work, you are gonna get shot a lot before it starts to click. but when it does its way more satisfying.

Future plans are a jj hop unit which is on its way, and mancraft.

@ PROFFRINK....It means it is not classed as a DMR / Sniper rifle so I can still engage targets (at the site I attend) around the same distance as other guys using normal AEGs...where as the guys using DMRs / Sniper rifles with a higher FPS rating have to switch to a side arm / secondary weapon when they get within a certain distance of targets.

I bought a Well MB 01 for messing around in the garden, just because I like L96s. Out of the box they're very average, but you don't have to spend money to make them a lot better. Other than a home made aluminium hop arm everything in mine is stock. Not necessarily as it came from the factory, but no fancy upgrade parts. It now hops a 0.4g ASG white easily (they're very good by the way) and will hit a three inch target 9/10 at 27m, which is a far as I can shoot at home.

It's not as powerful as stated in the gumph, but it'll push a 0.2g BB out at 420 fps Which would be enough to get you started.

And don't forget fiddling with guns is fun!

Archived