How good do you think you are at Airsoft?

Beethoven
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Here are my good points:

I always acknowledge hits;

I follow the safety rules;

I obey the Marshalls;

I don't get into arguments with other players.

However, in all other respects I am a pretty mediocre player. So here are my bad points.

I get hit a lot in games;

I seldom hit anybody (although in a couple of games I did rather well, but more by accident than design). I perhaps need better guns or new glasses:

I tend to be at the back of the group, skulking behind trees, rather than in the vanguard of the attack or defence;

I often don't understand what is going on during a game and sometimes find the battle scenario too complicated.

However, despite all this, I enjoy the excitement and hustle and bustle of airsoft, so I suppose it proves the old adage that it is the playing, not the winning, which is important.

Yet to fire my guns in anger. Just been used for target practice. I use my lads rc car for moving target practice. And have a pretty long run right through house for static practice. I am a pretty good shot. But find out my level this Sunday at delta 3

at the end of the day, its a hobby not sport (despite what some people would have you believe) and there are so many different metrics that you could use to measure how good you are - so I think it's more important to choose an element of the game you like and try and work on/enjoy that.

for example, I like getting up quite close, and being up at the front of the action, so I might get shot a bit more that people who hang back a bit, wouldn't say it makes you a worse player than someone who hangs back and gets easier "kills", but gets shot less though.

Compared to the teenagers and other lads who have been playing a while I think I am pretty pants to be honest...but time will tell...I have only played a few games...lol :rolleyes:

• Supporters

I agree with OP's rules. And, TBH, I started at The Mall 2 years back with a similar mindset. Now though, I play with an understanding that I am paying and playing to get hit, and I plan to take as many of you with me as I can. Speed isn't my main attribute except at the beginning of a game - I prefer stealth. So I go far ahead and let the enemy pass me (got a video coming up that shows this). I am proficient with most weapons, and carry a wide variety. (Run with both GBBPs for general engagements and a NBB mk23 at The Mall for sneakyness, my VSR and 2 GBBPs for woodland, or my SCAR and pistols). Factor in my real training (think military), but minus out my randomness and G17 randomly failing from time to time, and I'd say im decent enough. Good enough to nail Trigger in the bum (but we wont bring that up again as he wiped about 20 of my team before I got him as I was hiding in a corner ;) ).

1bhme8.jpg

• Moderators

I play to have fun, shoot a few bbs and go home with a few red marks 😀😀

It's what I pay for 🙂

My first game I died a lot and I was covered in welts. My second game I had practised with my new shiny combat machine and did a lot better, I was less aggressive and a lot more accurate and I understood my rifle. A few years later I am fitter, faster, can shoot better on the move, throw grenades better and basically have improved in every way. Good? I don't know about that but improving, which is the main point. I am fair from the unknowing newbie I started as.

I have been playing for over two years & in that time I have learned a lot about tactical awareness, deciding when to be aggressive, when to work with a group and when to go it alone and attack from a different direction.

With all this knowledge at my disposal I have found a whole new level of crapness that I am. But I'm there to have fun and as long as I am having that I don't worry about how good or bad I am.

good days and bad days

good days, as mentioned above, I am a god, pushing forward assaults at break neck speeds, crawling through brambles and taking out enemy held chokepoints on my own, running through a fortified position like the doom marine.

bad days, beginning of a game, getting hit by the kid with the sniper at 200m due to wind, slipping and crashing through everything making a racket that a mk4 tank would be proud of, getting into a friendly fire incident and knocking half of them out due to (one of the very rare) well placed grenade throw.

for me, good things is that I tend to be friendly and happy to lend things out to keep people in the game and normally very honest/practical about hit taking (I won't shout out hit if knife killed or hit by an especially sneaky bad guy).

bad thing, I'm getting a bit fed up of the guy running around the corner I'm defending while me and 3 others are pouring plastic into them from point blank and not calling hit until he's gotten a few of us, last time that happened I didn't call it, but I think I was justified on that occasion.

I wear expensive gloves and use them to point the rentals where they need to be advancing in front of me so I can move up - therefor I am better than most.

I must sit to the left of IMTRIGGERHAPPY, yet another GOD here. Love it when your defending and all you have to do is move around about 10ft into new cover and when they return from re spawn they think you've left the position as your not where you shot them 1st. Like lambs to the slaughter :ph34r::D

• Mostly Retired Moderators

It depends for me.

Some games, utterly atrocious. No kills, and hit lots.

My most recent game I went home with nothing and lost the receiver pin out my M4 because I was trying to flank by climbing up a steep muddy slope.... Before sliding about 16ft down the slippery hill because the mud gave way. Very damaged pride.

My last game at EAG Dorking however... Amazing! So many good hits, brilliant teamwork and barely got hit.

That was a good day.

I think it speaks volumes about airsoft however that I still enjoy the bad days. I've never gone home grumpy!

I played my first airsoft game a couple weeks ago. When I went through on the front line, just kept getting hit. Then I tried skulking around - I took a good few bramble thorns in places best not mentioning! But I finally found a great spot just to the side of an enemy advancement point and turned their main supply route into a killzone. Used my multi tool pen knife thingy to cut a branch off one of the bushes and literally shuffled along the ground holding the branch in front of me like some comedy movie, but it worked (LOL) and using black BBs, they never found me. Turns out, skulking can pay off once you hit the right spot. I think I was lucky though - could take someone lots of days out on the field to find such a spot.

Maybe there are things in my background that I don't think I'm using but subconsciously am, but I think really it's just a matter of not caring how good you are.

Airsoft is a game. You're there to have fun. If you get hit, that's fun - good on the other team. If you get a hit, that's fun - good on you. If you go through some bushes, you're doing so because you chose to because you thought it would be fun. Good on you. If you don't want to go crawling through scrub and setting up camp somewhere, don't do it. Simple as.

I think you need to stop thinking about how you can play airsoft better, and start thinking about how you can play airsoft more enjoyably.

There is a hint in all that - play airsoft.

• Supporters

The cod generation have a slight advantage over us of the goldeneye era. Lol

And yet we of the Flashback era still kick butt....

I honestly have no bearing on whether I'm a 'good' airsoft player

I mean plus points

I always play honestly- we have unlimited respawns half the time so i don't understand why you would

I'm not afraid to push up- using a firehawk for most of the time makes it necessary

Always got grenades of both splodey and smokey variety which is useful at points

I like working together with people and I'd like to say I'm Decent at small scale tactics- also happy to run across communicating with other groups of players

Downsides

Not the best at engaging at long range- snipers and i don't mix

Need to develop awareness of boundaries when prone- only got done for out of bounds once but it bugged me for the rest of the game (crawled through bushes and didn't look up until i fired at the other team)

Could probably improve my accuracy too

And finally i get hit a lot due to all the running around

My first game was terrible I kept misting up and didn't have a clue where I was going or what I was doing.. My back then gave way half way through the day and I struggled even more but I still went home enjoying the day overall, I invested in some much better Goggles and some cat crap and the second game despite the site being a little over crowded I got a lot more kills and enjoyed the day a lot more, I think having GOOD basic gear is the key to enjoying it or not as misting up can easily spoil the day

Archived