Dirtying up your loadout?

Mr Monkey Nuts
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

So I have a conundrum, Im l33t, like super l33t oper8r, beard on fleek, tatts, DMR, midcaps, cold steel, comtacs and enough patches to make a quilt. *

In fact Im so super l33t opor8r, I don't even have to put in any effort in any more, i just walk onto a field all like "whad up? i got a big glock. PEW PEW PEW" and bitches fall **

I very rarely find myself crawling through the mud like noobs *** so my kit is all sparkly clean, (Thanks mum x)

So the real question and point of this topic is to discuss what techniques people use to "wear" their kit and make it look well used and battle worn. My gun looks good with the worn paint job, but the rest of my gear is in need a work over.

* I'm really not.

** That only ever happened once.

*** Its my knees you see.

Spray paint.... from a distance.

Tan, or a light grey will give a suitable dusty look, but be careful, your not aiming to cover the whole thing ;)

A stiff wire brush will also take off any extra spray and scuff up the fabric and hard items such as knee pads/helmets etc.

For uniforms wash it alot. British MTP starts to fade a little bit once its been washed and ironed loads.

Play alot more in the rain and mud and dont be afraid to get probe alot,

Lots of leopard crawls in your rig will soon sort it aswell

• Supporters

Personally, I'd go down the 'just use it route' because your kit will only give you X amount of usage and the more you deliberately scrape, scratch and generally wear it out while not actually using it for its' intended purpose, the less actual proper usage you'll get before things start to come apart and fail. Now this varies a lot with different materials and type of gear obviously and the key factor's always going to be what the stuff costs originally. If you're only talking about issued PCS or whatever then getting replacements when stuff eventually goes isn't the end of the world, but my experience has generally been that it doesn't take more than a couple of skirmishes in the woods for things to start to get that slightly roughened edge about them and real wear will always, no matter what people claim, be more authentic and realistic than fake wear by its' very nature.

Archived