Balloon Wars idea

jurassicpaul
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hi Everyone,

Dusted down an idea I had 10 years ago which may be of interest to people here. It's a game based on airsoft which borrows elements from laser tag and involves having a balloon on your head. Yes, I wasn't going for realism, but thought it could be a lot of fun. Anyway, I'd be interested to know your thoughts:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b4AytrPETm4

Cheers,

Paul

hi, love the innovation, hate the concept.

I want to shoot people and have them shoot me.

If it don't sting then it isn't fun (as the actress said to the bishop)

I just like playing airsoft.

Playing airsoft with a balloon tied to my head? erm no thanks

I like the fact that you have come up & tried a new idea though

Thanks for feedback everyone. Yes, it is pretty daft :huh: - think Laser Tag or Nerf guns are probably better comparators in terms of the audience I envisioned for it. I thought the silliness of it might make it more appealing for people who wouldn't normally consider playing gun / combat games, but hard to know with only one prototype to play with!

I like the idea, not in its own rights but could be included into some fun games, such as a VIP target game, where the VIP can only be killed by hitting a balloon attached to their back or somewhere, or for team training to try ensure your aiming and placing your shots. But then again I am one of the seemingly few players who values not just "spamming the fuck outa a bitch."

Kind of makes me think of the funny mutator's you used to get on the original unreal tournament.

One of them was when you killed someone your head used to expand like a balloon, the more you killed the bigger it got (And thus making you an easy target). it was very silly but extremely fun to play online because the better you were the more of a target you became.

The balloon idea has been decisively burst on this forum.

However, the problem which gave rise to it remains, i.e. can there ever be a viable alternative to shouting 'hit' and putting your hand up?

Given the rapid advances in technology, it would be great if some wise monkey came up with a solution whereby hits are detected and registered by a sensor or sensors attached to our clothing.

The balloon idea has been decisively burst on this forum.

However, the problem which gave rise to it remains, i.e. can there ever be a viable alternative to shouting 'hit' and putting your hand up?

Given the rapid advances in technology, it would be great if some wise monkey came up with a solution whereby hits are detected and registered by a sensor or sensors attached to our clothing.

This exists. Sensor fabric has been around for years - DARPA and the MoD have spent a fortune developing it to name but a few. I don't think it's cost effective for Airsoft manufacturers to adapt it to our needs, even after it gets cheaper, and nobody else would care enough to do it as necessary I don't think.

Plus, I wager most sites and the purist 'But Airsoft is a sport of honesty' types would fight such things.

Used to play this at Epsom Tunnels, had a balloon tied to the back of your rig or belt, was usually right at the end of the day and pistols only, was fun.

I am always meticulous in acknowledging being hit. However, I sometimes overdo it by accident.

In two recent games I was skulking in the woods when it suddenly started to pelt down with rain. I thought I had been hit and acknowledge it, but then I discovered it was the heavy rain spots, not bbs. It happened twice, just when I had someone in my sights.

Now Airsoft on space hoppers is a plan! Pistols only and only allowed to shoot when off the ground? I'm in, anyone else?

O. M. G. YES

O. M. G. YES

Nah I fall off them bastid things with two hands holding on, sod trying to hold a pistol and aim too..

Only have selected players on space hoppers for particular tactical situations, like cavalry. Only less dignified.

Only have selected players on space hoppers for particular tactical situations, like cavalry. Only less dignified.

Can I be in the armored division in one of these???

41YpKugNXtL_SX315_SY375_.jpg

b180de36131b6fc7ca81ab89ab94090b.jpg

41YpKugNXtL_SX315_SY375_.jpg

Now a three balloon mario cart would be epic......only cooler lol

Pistol only of course

I'll get to work on the Mario Kart variant...

When my son was little we used to take out a load of glow in the dark balloons & play Mario Combat when camping. three Balloons each two men enter one man leaves, balloon fight till all balloons are burst.

Top fun when your drunk and trying to entertain a young child, my mates used to literally cue up to have a go. He was almost unbeatable lol

Archived