AEG Magazine first use

Jam_Man
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Bought a number of new midcaps for my rifle.

Understand to break them in right you need to use some silicone oil , fire a small number of bbs, then increase incrementally to a full magazine.

What silcone oil is best, has it got to be specific to airsoft, like Abbey, or is something like WD40 useable? (just read thats a no no)

• Supporters

Don't put silicone in it. It will get on the BBs, and from there to the hopup and then bye bye aimed shots. Also, dust and dirt will stick to the silicone, jamming the mag later.

If dirt gets in the mag, take it apart and clean it.

Putting increasing number of BBs without forcing is right.

• Supporters

Don't put silicone in it. It will get on the BBs, and from there to the hopup and then bye bye aimed shots. Also, dust and dirt will stick to the silicone, jamming the mag later.

If dirt gets in the mag, take it apart and clean it.

Putting increasing number of BBs without forcing is right.

There are differing opinions on this. Never put silicone oil directly into the mag but I do know some people who swear by the bbs with a slight dusting of silcone spray method. The idea is you feed a few through your mag and then throw them and then feed some normal bbs through a few times to remove excess. This is meant to make the mags work better but I have no idea if it makes any real difference either way. I tried it with one mag but noticed no real effect whether good or bad.

• Supporters

I have always just filled them as far as I can and used them, fill them a bit more next time... etc etc.

Oil in there is not a good idea imo.

If you look at from a mechanical point of view then you should lubricate the mag spring. If you have a spring running inside an enclosed system its always lubricated.

There is a fear among certain people that silicone lubricant should be feared but the truth is every time you fire a gbb you lube the bb. The gas that propels the bb contains silicone which will coat the bb and gun internals everytime you fire it. You also use silicone lubricant inside the gun that will travel through it everytime you fire it.

As long as your hop rubber or the bb itself isn't swimming in it then its entirely normal. I clean my hop on my gbb pistol after every game and my aeg hop every few games because I know that everytime I pull the trigger I am blowing crap over the bucking and barrel.

I use Rocol silicon spray on the parts of the gun that I want to be dry lubed and either abbey or another pure silicone on o-rings or any other silicone rubber part that rocol is not suitable for. Rocol is not recommended for silicone rubber but to be honest I have never seen it have an adverse effect either.

Basically lubing the spring is fine as long as you dont go silly and you remove any excess before using it.

• Supporters

There is a fear among certain people that silicone lubricant should be feared but the truth is every time you fire a gbb you lube the bb. The gas that propels the bb contains silicone which will coat the bb and gun internals everytime you fire it. You also use silicone lubricant inside the gun that will travel through it everytime you fire it.

As long as your hop rubber or the bb itself isn't swimming in it then its entirely normal. I clean my hop on my gbb pistol after every game and my aeg hop every few games because I know that everytime I pull the trigger I am blowing crap over the bucking and barrel.

FYI most airsoft gas is composed of around 1.8% silicone oil ( the company I work for looked into manufacturing it)

Archived