greasing a gearbox

mimozine
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

i had been advised by someone to remove the "green gunk" greese from my gearbox and put some descent stuff in. now im not very teched up yet, i have taken a gearbox apart to chacnge spring before, bit of a nightmare actually. but since i thought i would try changing spring, piston and piston head on this gun i bought some teflon greese too. to be honest i was expecting a larger pot, its stupidly small.

anyway do i need to remove all old greese first? and if so whats best method?

and where do i apply the grease and with what?

thx

• Supporters

Don't listen to "someones". If a gun works fine, don't touch it. The only grease you should remove is the one in Classic Army boxes or if they opened and regreased your gun at taiwangun.com.

The best way to clean is to remove everything from the gearbox, and clean it in paint thinner, acetone, alcohol or similar stuff that dissolves grease. Regrease the places where things move, except the electrical contacts, during or after reassembly. The metal to metal contacts with lithium based grease the airseals with silicone grease. Less is more, don't use much. Especially at the airseals. Maybe you can use the teflon grease instead of lithium based if it's thick enough.

Make sure you do the simming properly, and after reassembly, set the motor height too to the new shimming.

• Supporters

image_zpsaio0q8t2.png

grease/oil what's the difference?

Ainsley has distracted me here, not sure if it's a serious question but the answer remains the same:

Oils are liquids, greases are generally paste. Liquids will collect in puddles because of gravity (not good for gearboxes, think about it) whereas greases stick to things.

Archived