What does your partner think of you playing airsoft?

Beethoven
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Mine didn't like the idea at all at first. Perhaps like most people, she had no clue about what airsoft is about. She didn't like the idea of having 'guns' in the house. Being a pacifist and a CND supporter, she is generally against anything to do with military affairs. She didn't want me to use my guns in the garden, for fear of the neighbours alerting the police.

However, she has now reconciled herself to it. I have managed to persuade her that airsoft guns are not firearms and are safe provided that they are used responsibly. i have also managed to persuade her that I am in no real danger, providing I wear eye protection, a face mask and a helmet. She also quite likes the cammo jacket I wear. Also, she quite likes the idea of me getting more exercise, by running about in woods.

The next step will be to persuade her to come along to an event and even participate - now that is going to be a much more formidable task.

My Mrs thinks I have too many guns, and the clothing I have is sufficient for playing. Hahahahahaaaaaaaa!. I'm just getting warmed up!

The Mrs thinks it is really, really geeky.

She likes the idea of it being an exercise/social event though and actively encourages me to go. Perhaps if she ever caught wind of just how much it costs for all my toys...good job she never ventures into the loft...she has no idea what I own, and what is new!

My oldest daughter is fascinated by the idea of it (probably because her uncles and aunties have been known to do a skirmish or two) and I'm sure she'd love to give it a go (only a decade away...).

• Supporters

My wife doesn't mind as long as I go the same weekend as the F1 is on.

• Supporters

Where were you yesterday then?

Adulting.

Which mostly consisted of throwing my back out lugging bags of rubble to the dump.

mine is like the OP she hates war & conflict. at first she was against it but she now understands that its good to get out of the house and have a diverse social life.

She now doesn't mind it, she's even had a go with the 1911 GBB I have and quite enjoyed target shooting, she just doesn't like the idea of getting shot so I doubt I will ever get her to play. Although I've told her I want to organise a private day for my stag do & want her to take part.

• Head Moderator

My wife wasnt greatly impressed at first.

She came to help out at a milsim, carrying out some non shooting roles and had so much fun, especially on tne social front, that she is a convert.

She still thinks I have too many guns (how many guns do you need?).

I just point out how many shoes she has when she can only wear one pair at a time.

She hates guns and anything that looks like them , she also finds it geeky and just laughs. I just remind her she's never going to own a horse and yet she spends money on horse riding lessons 😂 she soon shuts up although she does call my glock cute ...

.my better half doesn't mind. As she sees it, it keeps me out of trouble, lets me mix with friends and blow off steam.

The fact it's so expensive kit wise, means that I never have money for drinking etc.

My wife doesn't like the idea of me getting hurt even if it's a little red mark or two that will disappear after a few days, overall though she doesn't mind as long as I spend time with her and our son too.

She does say I have enough guns but we all know that will never be true, she does like the guns we made a deal so i could put a gun rack on the man cave wall.

She also owns an m4 and a 1911 for when we go to the range which she does like. But I always bring along a new gun and she's like where's you get that one I haven't seen it!

Also our 7 year old son loves to come in the man cave and tell me which is his favourite gun.

I'm a lucky one,

She doesn't mind me playing has even had a go herself and wants to go again, also doesn't mind what I spend either :)

I'm also very lucky. We both have our own hobbies etc and as long as we still have enough time and money to enjoy together its all good.

She does worry that I might get hurt but has seen the precautions we all take to reduce the risk etc and she is happy with that.

• Mostly Retired Moderators

Mine is surprisingly ok with it.

Like others, she is very anti-violence and anti-gun, and I'm made to keep them out of sight of my three year old son. But otherwise, she's very accepting of it - she even gave me permission to buy a new gun to go with my other rifle and pistols ( ;) )

The group that gives me the biggest headache over it though is my co-workers. They give me so much shit.

"So you're just playing soldiers in the woods? Grow up!"

"So, it's like a rip-off of paintball then?"

And then the inevitable "But how do you know when you've been hit?!"

My favourite is when they'll say something like "Stop wasting your money on toys guns!" - but they will regularly spend hundreds on drink and fags. Not really my cup of tea, but I won't tell them to stop :)

Infact, I hate explaining it to people really, which is a shame because people won't find out about airsofting otherwise.

The conversation that always starts "Well, it's like paintball.... but better"

• Supporters

Infact, I hate explaining it to people really, which is a shame because people won't find out about airsofting otherwise.

Keep doing it though. You never know when you're going to meet a willing convert!

Mine is surprisingly ok with it.

Like others, she is very anti-violence and anti-gun, and I'm made to keep them out of sight of my three year old son. But otherwise, she's very accepting of it - she even gave me permission to buy a new gun to go with my other rifle and pistols ( ;) )

The group that gives me the biggest headache over it though is my co-workers. They give me so much sh*t.

"So you're just playing soldiers in the woods? Grow up!"

"So, it's like a rip-off of paintball then?"

And then the inevitable "But how do you know when you've been hit?!"

My favourite is when they'll say something like "Stop wasting your money on toys guns!" - but they will regularly spend hundreds on drink and fags. Not really my cup of tea, but I won't tell them to stop :)

I've bought my guns into work as a sort of Show & Tell once just so they know why I'm looking at gun pictures during lunch.

I work in a small place out in the sticks with a garden and pond so it was fine to show and shoot. I certainly wouldn't do it in a town office block say.

• Supporters

Thats because no matter how you try and put a spin on it airsoft sounds a bit sad and pathetic. At the end of the day its grown men/women dressing up and running around with toys guns.

Just don't try and explain and expect them to understand because until someone plays they will never get it.

• Supporters

My GF doesn't mind it too much, she sees it as a way of me getting out of the house and having fun but refuses to play it as she doesn't want to get shot but i have tried to convince her to come, at least just turn up and can spend all day in the safe zone if she wants, that might get her to convert.

As for work colleagues, it was one of them that bloody got me into it!

He circulated an email to anyone interested in going once, i went and was hooked, since then myself and he have convinced several others to play the sport.

Archived