Local Police and home use

waffel360
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hi There Not only am I new to this Forum, I have never been on a forum before (took me 30 minuets to find the "start new topic" button) but as i enjoy airsoft a lot I am trying to start.

My first Question is:

is it a good idea to let me local police office know that I have a RIF.

Question two:

I have seen some people say its ok and some say its not ok to fire your gun in your garden that is next to a alley/footpath and i cant find a .gov page on it. Here is a google map marker to give you an idea of the type of alley (it is not my house but the garden is laid out very simerly in my area).

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/dir/52.0482453,1.1547163//@52.0484057,1.1553097,309a,20y,144.79h/data=!3m1!1e3?hl=en

Just gonna try answer this short and clearly.

My opinion: NO

I don't know the law on this, so not gonna pretend I do. But to save you lots of hassle and grief, don't fire your rifs in your garden. Especially if you don't get on with your neighbours. Or you might get the police smashing down your front door.

• Supporters

As long as no BB gets out of your property, it's perfectly fine and legal to shoot in your garden.

No need to tell the police about your RIF, it's legal to own one if you are 18+.

It is sensible to talk about it with the neighbours so they won't get scared and call the police on you.

1. You don't have to tell the police about them , however if you want to use them in your garden then might be worth whie giving your neighbours a heads up about them so they don't phone the police if they see you in the garden.

2. It's legal to shoot on your own property however the bbs cannot leave the garden if they do then you are breaking the law also I wouldn't do it if the general public can see you as that would be asking for trouble.

• Supporters

From a copper:

1: You don't have to notify police that you own a RIF or an IF especially if its an airsoft gun, UKARA is only for the seller to be satisfied that anyone buying a RIF is an Airsoft player.

2: You must ensure that you have permission from the landowner (either yourself, parents or friends) to shoot on that land

3: You must ensure that no BBs (even ricochets) leave the land on which you have permission to shoot on.

Long story short, as long as you have a decent back stop to stop any BBs aimed or ricocheted, you can target shoot out the back garden all day if you want, you may want to let your neighbours know before hand that you will be shooting BBs Guns in your back garden and that you have made all the necessary arrangements for safety. Whilst they may object, they cannot stop you from shooting in the back garden where you have permission to do so.

Reference:

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1968/27/section/21A

As above - I'd say just don't. Even if you tell your neighbours that you own Airsoft toys and use them out back, one day their visiting granny, or a joiner doing the skirting, or a new neighbour who hasn't been briefed is going to see you walking about with a gun... What happens next is on you.

Agree with Skarra on this one. Most of us joe bloggs from the public can't tell the difference. As someone who works on construction, there was a large job I worked on for a long period of time in which a Plummer worked in a clients house where he had put a lot of time and effort to create very realistic looking objects such as knives, swords etc etc. Needless to say, as creative, realistic and crafty they were, he got a bit of a fright, police were notified and the door went around an hour later.

I imagine it's the same for RIFs, especially in the state of the world at the moment.

Agree with Skarra on this one. Most of us joe bloggs from the public can't tell the difference. As someone who works on construction, there was a large job I worked on for a long period of time in which a Plummer worked in a clients house where he had put a lot of time and effort to create very realistic looking objects such as knives, swords etc etc. Needless to say, as creative, realistic and crafty they were, he got a bit of a fright, police were notified and the door went around an hour later.

I imagine it's the same for RIFs, especially in the state of the world at the moment.

Oh I was just on about the neighbour's joiner looking out the back window and seeing a dude with a machine-gun next door... If anybody invited trades folk into their place and doesn't take at least reasonable effort to not freak them out, that's no better than accidentally on-purpose letting your dressing gown tumble open and expose your twig and berries to them - it's just not on.

Oh I was just on about the neighbour's joiner looking out the back window and seeing a dude with a machine-gun next door... If anybody invited trades folk into their place and doesn't take at least reasonable effort to not freak them out, that's no better than accidentally on-purpose letting your dressing gown tumble open and expose your twig and berries to them - it's just not on.

Believe me, the twig and berries statement isn't far off, some of the sights we've seen will haunt me into the next life..

Just a though, but if you need to test fire your RIF, try doing so in your loft if it's big enough to get up into and you can put something up there to catch any BBs.

Our house layout is a bit crap but has a straight run into yard from living room with about 40 feet of room I stand inside and shoot targets in the yard. Thankfully tho back of our house is well covered.

Our house layout is a bit crap but has a straight run into yard from living room with about 40 feet of room I stand inside and shoot targets in the yard. Thankfully tho back of our house is well covered.

This is saddening. Folk too afraid to play with their toys in their own home. No wonder the lawmakers are able to trample on everyones fun.

Adhere to the law and use your common sense, at least while you are still allowed.

Hi There Not only am I new to this Forum, I have never been on a forum before (took me 30 minuets to find the "start new topic" button) but as i enjoy airsoft a lot I am trying to start.

My first Question is:

is it a good idea to let me local police office know that I have a RIF.

Question two:

I have seen some people say its ok and some say its not ok to fire your gun in your garden that is next to a alley/footpath and i cant find a .gov page on it. Here is a google map marker to give you an idea of the type of alley (it is not my house but the garden is laid out very simerly in my area).

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/dir/52.0482453,1.1547163//@52.0484057,1.1553097,309a,20y,144.79h/data=!3m1!1e3?hl=en

In regards to shooting next to an alley or footpath, you might be thinking of the law in which it is an offence to fire a firearm - including air weapons - within 50 feet of the center of a public highway, if someone is injured as a result, even accidentally.

https://basc.org.uk/airgunning/advice/basc-air-rifle-code-of-practice/

Sure, but how would they know?

Think about it for a moment. Also, all those toy guns with orange tips are imports.

i'd say the best thing to do would go into the country and shoot, thats what i do, ask for permission to shoot in a field from a farmer or something

Archived