7 inch groupings at 1.5 m, So inaccurate, Walther P 88 Spring.

JimmyJay
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

I'm new to Airsoft and I'm loving it. I bought a Walther P 88 Spring and it seemed to have reasonable reviews, metal barrel and slide, all seems to work well but I'm getting appalling accuracy. I can literally see BB's coming out the front in random directions up to about 30° off when the barrel is pointing, this is giving me accuracy of about 7 inches groupings while holding the pistol about just over a metre away. I'm using the rubbish ammunition that came with it and have ordered some smooth .12 g, but what's going on.

I've no experience with Airsoft what accuracy should I be getting for an inexpensive spring pistol, and why is it so inaccurate.

I absolutely love target shooting in my kitchen but because there is no accuracy just doing it for the fun of hearing the pop, I know I can't expect miracles but surely it should be better than this.

• Supporters

Did you get a cleaning rod with it? If you did, clean the barrel with rubbing alcohol with it.

Use 0.25g BBs.

If you are absolutely confident taking it apart, do it, clean the barrel and hopup rubber and apply some teflon tape to the hopup to increase airseal.

• Supporters

I'm new to Airsoft and I'm loving it. I bought a Walther P 88 Spring and it seemed to have reasonable reviews, metal barrel and slide, all seems to work well but I'm getting appalling accuracy. I can literally see BB's coming out the front in random directions up to about 30° off when the barrel is pointing, this is giving me accuracy of about 7 inches groupings while holding the pistol about just over a metre away. I'm using the rubbish ammunition that came with it and have ordered some smooth .12 g, but what's going on.

I've no experience with Airsoft what accuracy should I be getting for an inexpensive spring pistol, and why is it so inaccurate.

I absolutely love target shooting in my kitchen but because there is no accuracy just doing it for the fun of hearing the pop, I know I can't expect miracles but surely it should be better than this.

.12g ammo is at least half your problem here, no one uses that trash, .20 as an absolute minimum.

I c cleaned the barrel with a Q-Tip and then wiped a little silicon lubricant down the barrel. The accuracy is still all over, I have some smooth .12 g ammo in the post to me and shall look to getting some heavy stuff, at the moment I'm just using the pellets came in the box and I'm told they are rubbish

silicon in the barrel is a sh*t idea, who told you to do that?!

heavy ammo is the fix here, imagine hitting a whiffle ball full whack with a cricket bat... then hit a cricket ball, which one is going straighter and further?

I don't know, came up with that myself,:) just dampen the end of the Q-Tip with a little spray.

Looking forward to getting some heavy ammo, do you think it matters that it's such a short barrel, its only 2 1/2 inches the true in a barrel. I thought it would be cool to have a small gun. I'll give some feedback when I get some better ammo. Thanks again.

• Supporters

Barrel length is irrelevant, certainly at the kind of range you're talking about. Your inner barrel needs to be squeaky clean and as dry as possible. same for the hop rubber (if it has one?), cleaning it properly will require some disassembly.

Barrel length is irrelevant, certainly at the kind of range you're talking about. Your inner barrel needs to be squeaky clean and as dry as possible. same for the hop rubber (if it has one?), cleaning it properly will require some disassembly.

thanks for the info by hop rubber do you mean the magazine ? Mine is just hard plastic .

• Supporters

.12g ammo is at least half your problem here, no one uses that trash, .20 as an absolute minimum.

Hey, I use .12s in my launchers at The Mall :) . But OP, for use in a gun, dont use anything below .25g unless you are having issues lifting those. I use .25s in my SMGs and M4, .28s in my pistols, and .35-.4g in anything heavier.

thanks for the info by hop rubber do you mean the magazine ? Mine is just hard plastic .

Not at all. If you look where the BB actually enters the gun there is a small circular piece of rubber called the hop rubber. This presses down on the top of the BB in order to give it spin - therefore increasing range. It also grips the bb so that (in theory) the bb is held in place until it is fired. Some cheaper guns have fixed hops, but on many you can adjust the hop.

gp-airsoft-wa-hop-up-rubber-wp96-for-air

The black part is the hop rubber.

I think what everyone may be missing, is that the gun is a cheap springer pistol, with no hop up

• Supporters

I think what everyone may be missing, is that the gun is a cheap springer pistol, with no hop up

True, but even a cheap springer shouldn't be THAT shit.

• Supporters

True, but even a cheap springer shouldn't be THAT sh*t.

Yea. TBH, I once bought an $20 sing (so 10 quid) springer on the Singaporean black market (airsoft is illegal (or at least it was) in Singapore) that shot about 100 FPS. Even that had good range for what it was...

Yes it has no hop up, I'm hoping it's the ammo, I'm waiting for polished BBs I ordered .12 g they may be light but over 1.5 m I'm hoping they'll give me accuracy. It's the damnedest thing, no exaggeration currently to see a bullet come out the end of the gun at a 30° angle is just bizarre. The gun is shooting strong, is punching through the target and making a good mark on the cardboard behind.

Polished means literally nothing, .12 is the BB equivalent of a whiffle ball.

Without a hop up there's nothing to stabilise the BB so accuracy will always be sh*t, if you want better accuracy get a better gun!

I hear you about the ammo but I bought them before I knew, although I'm no expert surely light ammo is like a badminton shuttlecock, it must travel straight for a little bit. If it's a crap gun I'm gonna contact the shop because this is ridiculous, is not fit for purpose. I appreciate the info though.

• Supporters

Without a hop up there's nothing to stabilise the BB so accuracy will always be sh*t, if you want better accuracy get a better gun!

Actually I think in Taiwan there are indoor competitions with bolt action rifles where they shoot at coins standing on their edges at about 10m. They go for extreme accuracy and those guns don't have hopups. Hopups give range but cause variance thus instability.

• Supporters

I think I might've had exactly what you've got, bought it for £5 from an airshow absolutely years ago.
Accuracy sounds equally appauling.

Have you looked at it from the front end? Maybe even down the barrel - with it unloaded obviously - sounds as if there's an obstruction at the end of the barrel, maybe part of the outer barrel has some little spurs on it from the moulding or something?

That or the inner barrel could be some whacky huge diameter and not be of uniform width.

Try getting a McDonalds straw, stick it down the barrel and try shooting with that as your barrel instead. If you can get one to fit down there at least. Seen people use straws for barrels before - obviously it wouldn't be a good idea for long range accuracy, or under skirmish conditions, but in your kitchen with what sounds like the world's worst spring pistol, I doubt it's going to do anything short of improving things.

I think I might've had exactly what you've got, bought it for £5 from an airshow absolutely years ago.

Accuracy sounds equally appauling.

Have you looked at it from the front end? Maybe even down the barrel - with it unloaded obviously - sounds as if there's an obstruction at the end of the barrel, maybe part of the outer barrel has some little spurs on it from the moulding or something?

That or the inner barrel could be some whacky huge diameter and not be of uniform width.

Try getting a McDonalds straw, stick it down the barrel and try shooting with that as your barrel instead. If you can get one to fit down there at least. Seen people use straws for barrels before - obviously it wouldn't be a good idea for long range accuracy, or under skirmish conditions, but in your kitchen with what sounds like the world's worst spring pistol, I doubt it's going to do anything short of improving things.

Thanks very much for your advice and comment. I think I found some answers by Bulldog BB pellets have arrived and they've improved things enormously, still not stellar. I had a group of 2 1/4 inch firing 10 shots at 2 m with a two-handed grip. I still had one mad flyer that shot off at about 30°.

I've examined the barrel and it looks in very good shape, very smooth and a mirror finish. The slightly weird thing is that the new Bulldog BB's are ever so slightly smaller than the ones that came in the box, I don't know if that makes a difference.

I think you're absolutely right, it's not very good Airsoft pistol, I like the look and the smallness but it's pretty much a waste of £17. What do you recommend for something that is more accurate, I'm definitely thinking of upgrading to something better. I quite like the spring concept, being able to dash off a few shots here and there but I may look at CO2, they look fun.

• Supporters

Me and a friend just went halves for a third friend's birthday and bought him one of these:

http://gunfire.pl/product-eng-1152196253-75D-COMPACT-pistol-replica.html

I appreciate you may not have a UKARA license so don't order from here or it will be seized at customs. The point I'm making though, is that the difference between the CZ75 in the link, and the springer you've been discussing is astonishing. the CZ75 was £62 when we ordered it (the price is fluctuating a lot recently), and it shoots better than my WE G19's did stock (before I upgraded them).

Worth every penny to spend a little extra for a better pistol.

--Edit - for a bit of clarity, you'll be getting 7 inch groupings from this pistol when shooting it at 50-60 metres, not 1.5.

From 1.5m with this you should be making a single hole in the paper and the rest of that mag through the hole :)

7inch groupings at 50-60m.... not real metres, maybe 'airsoft metres'.

Archived