Watching the bbs or aiming with a sight ???

NathyB
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

I got a red dot acog sight for my m4 played on Sunday and just found my self watching where the bbs went speaking to few people they said they only really use them in CQB games or is it some thing you have to get used to what are people's thoughts ?

I was playing a woodland game by the way

• Root Admin

Switch to midcaps.

Hicraps just make it too easy to blat away and use the stream to aim with.

Don't get me wrong: I still certainly do it from time to time, but it is a bit spammy and using your optic does - in my opinion - make things more fun. For woodland this tends to be the case.

• Supporters

I think it depends. People who play a more speedsoft style probably just blaze away and watch the bbs. However, people like me who come into airsoft through actual shooting will most likely use their sights. All my airsoft guns are perfectly zeroed (well, as much as they can be), so I usually only need to fire 2 shots or so to hit someone. It also allows for snappier engagements I believe, and certainly allows me to carry midcaps instead of highcaps. My friends I play with all use high caps and the tracking-the-bb style of aiming.

Playing with low caps I can't afford to stream the bbs out. I'm usually on single shot aiming down the sights with 2-3 shots at a time.

However when I do use my Hi cap I do end up spamming. I feel a bit lazy for doing it.

As I am cross eye dominant and short sighted I watch the stream, but I only use low caps and single shots.

• Supporters

Unfortunately a bb will be affected by the slightest gust of wind, or anything really etc etc (in an outside environment)

With this in mind a sight is only there as a rough guide as to where a bb may land/travel.

If I am sniping I aim with the sight 1st shot, then correct for wind etc with the 2nd shot, if no hit correct again etc.

For most other roles I aim then just walk my shots to target ;)

• Supporters

I generally don't bother aiming down sights as I find it pretty easy to point and shoot when you hold the gun in a similar manner to if you were aiming down sights. I think it's easier to do with some guns though as you get a good feel for how the barrel is lined up.

I got a red dot acog sight for my m4 played on Sunday and just found my self watching where the bbs went speaking to few people they said they only really use them in CQB games or is it some thing you have to get used to what are people's thoughts ?

I was playing a woodland game by the way

Did you spend any time zeroing or testing the accuracy of the sight with the gun or did you just slap it on and roll out? In all fairness, I did the latter with a RDS and it worked out fine as long as I am the left a bit.

I don't aim using the sights really. I use a full-face Paintball mask and on my old FAMAS, there was no way to get a line of sight down the weapon itself in a meaningful way for sight aim purposes. So my style (such as it is) evolved to get a general idea where I want to fire from the shoulder, then adjust the rounds as necessary. I'm far more reserved on the trigger these days, so it does make it harder to get people first shot.

• Supporters

Bit of both for me, especially outdoors a tiny bit of wind will put your shots off target no matter how perfectly zero'd your sights are.

Put the red dot on the person and pull the trigger, observe fall of shot and adjust if required before firing again!

It really depends a lot on the engagement range. Within the broad effective range of an airsoft gun (20m - 30m or so) I'll use the sights. I use less ammo and make less noise for the same amount of kills. Beyond that range, when BB's are prone to stray it becomes more effective to use the stream in order to exploit physics and arc shots onto target.

Archived