Hey guys, disabled here, will I in any way not be allowed to play airsoft?

scaphrax
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

So yeah, as the topic says, I have achondroplasia, another common term for it is dwarfism, slightly taller than the average person with this condition because I had 2 operations in the past, currently standing at 4ft 9 inches. Anyway, my brother in law's stag-do group wants to invite me to come along to their airsoft events ( they've done airsofting for a good year and a half now ), but I'm just kinda worried that I'll probably be rejected to play or will be discriminated in any way.

I can't imagine any sites rejecting or discriminating against a player for a disability. There are sites out there that have regular players in wheelchairs, and they're made just as welcome as everyone else. I'd say don't worry about it; just turn up and you'll have a blast.

The only thing sites reject players for is cheating and unsafe play. You'll be fine :)

Is hand size a consideration here? Perhaps OP might want to go to an airsoft shop first and find out which guns are most easily used? 4' 9" doesn't seem short to me at all though. I've definitely played along side shorter players.

• Supporters

So yeah, as the topic says, I have achondroplasia, another common term for it is dwarfism, slightly taller than the average person with this condition because I had 2 operations in the past, currently standing at 4ft 9 inches. Anyway, my brother in law's stag-do group wants to invite me to come along to their airsoft events ( they've done airsofting for a good year and a half now ), but I'm just kinda worried that I'll probably be rejected to play or will be discriminated in any way.

I know of a player at The Mall who was paralyzed from the waist down or something similar (wheelchair-bound permanently), and he had no issues at all. You may want to contact the site you will be attending and just let them know - at worst you may have to fill out an extra form or something, but I can't imagine it would be an issue. I have to do this all the time as I am a Type One Diabetic. It is yet to affect sites allowing me to play in the three years I have been playing in both the US and UK. And you will find that most airsofters don't tolerate any kind of spiteful discrimination. Bantering between mates is common, of course, but for the most part people are very good at letting rude or inappropriate players know the error of their ways (and most marshals as well - I know Luke at The Mall would have no problem dealing with any issues like that very harshly - if you do that kind of crap then you are just an a** and shouldn't be playing in the first place...).

In short - there will probably be players taller and shorter than you, younger and older, thick and thin, and with guns and skill levels fluctuating between knowing how to load a gun to the uber-elite players who wreck us all. Enjoy yourself, and go have fun :)

• Supporters

Seen a few players with varying degrees of physical disabilities play with no real issues. Had a young lad on the first forum game whose disabilities were probably more of a hindrance than yours when playing airsoft but he had a great time and didn't let it hold him back.

No site or player should have an issue or treat you any different to any other airsofter. Just go along and have fun.

Edit; Ignore Spazs comment about uber elite players they are an airsoft myth.

Being a dwarf is a tactical advantage and I'd happily have you on my team not only could you be popped in little spaces for ambushes but you could also be alot harder to hit and better in a sniper or support role. Imagine a tiny ghillie suited sniper not standing above the bush he's shooting from. I'd have ya lol

It's probably worth letting the site you are visiting know in plenty of time, what your limitations might be. They can then plan a selection of games for the day that won't leave you feeling left out.

It's probably worth letting the site you are visiting know in plenty of time, what your limitations might be. They can then plan a selection of games for the day that won't leave you feeling left out.

Wise words!!

• Supporters

He is a bit short his limitations are he can't see over tall things.

What special games would you have for someone with dwarfism?

Protect Snow White from the evil Queen?

Recapture the yellow brick road?

King of the lonely mountain?

I suppose you could have a Return of the Jedi game and dress him up as an Ewok ☺

He will be fine and from what I know of most people with disabilities will just want to get on with it without any special treatment.

To the op sorry if that came across as offensive I am just joking around and don't mean to cause any offence. Best of luck with your first game.

I suppose you could have a Return of the Jedi game and dress him up as an Ewok ☺

He will be fine and from what I know of most people with disabilities will just want to get on with it without any special treatment.

To the op sorry if that came across as offensive I am just joking around and don't mean to cause any offence. Best of luck with your first game.

See you had me laughing, great sense of humor I wouldn't be insultedone as long as every female dresses like padme and leya

If his disability goes beyond the height limitations, such as not being able to sprint or less physically able or not being able to reload etc. Also I am sure a quick chat with the site regarding the anxieties would help to put the posters mind at ease.

Savage jokes but that had me laughing nw mate XD, im used to it anyways.

Savage jokes but that had me laughing nw mate XD, im used to it anyways.

I was thinking of issues like slow running speed, which might require games will less running about. They might position some boxes inside bunkers that have high windows. But mainly I was aiming advice in general for anyone with a disability. Most sites will put the effort in to make sure everyone of all abilities has a good day, but you cannot expect them to be able to make any necessary changes at the last minute.

See you had me laughing, great sense of humor I wouldn't be insultedone as long as every female dresses like padme and leya

Absolute legend of an attitude right there lol

My son has been playing for two years & only just reached 4'10" his short stature is a real advantage to his playing style.

Does the dwarf no do well in game of thrones?

The only thing that the op should consider IMO is if it's a cqb site he may get knocked over/ trampled on. I nearly wiped out a wee boy at cqb because I had a full facemask on and never seen him. But being small isn't really a issue

Archived