Is this legal?

LewisAirsofter
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

So I have a two tone AK47 (orange) and if I add a gearskin to it is it legal?

The gearskin: http://www.odintactical.co.uk/GEARSKIN-REGULAR-High-End-Self-Adhesive-Cover-p/gs-600.htm

Hmmm me likey.. I have a few things which may end up camo'd up now :) good find

I doubt it. Camo tape doesn't meet the VCRA definitions of two tone at all so this would change its definition from an imitation firearm to a realistic imitation firearm and hence be considered manufacturing unless you had a suitable defence.

I doubt it. Camo tape doesn't meet the VCRA definitions of two tone at all so this would change its definition from an imitation firearm to a realistic imitation firearm and hence be considered manufacturing unless you had a suitable defence.

Except that it'd be on an airsoft site, so the owner could just say another airsofter a the venue did it, just remove it afterwards.

Except that it'd be on an airsoft site, so the owner could just say another airsofter a the venue did it, just remove it afterwards.

The law says absolutely nothing about it being OK to manufacturer a RIF on an airsoft site. The assumption is that by being on an airsoft site you are proving that you are a skirmisher but again the VCRA does not claim that is sufficient, its all about insured sites and a membership system. I know why people make this argument but people need to know its not actually "true", there is no case that confirms this isn't considered manufacturing.

• Root Admin

It also doesn't define a valid defence properly (beyond saying that UKARA is one form of it for airsoft skirmishers), which is why this sort of thing can be fine.

You're right to err on the side of caution, but so long as you're not an idiot about it came tape is fine. Don't know of a site that isn't OK with it.

The law says absolutely nothing about it being OK to manufacturer a RIF on an airsoft site. The assumption is that by being on an airsoft site you are proving that you are a skirmisher but again the VCRA does not claim that is sufficient, its all about insured sites and a membership system. I know why people make this argument but people need to know its not actually "true", there is no case that confirms this isn't considered manufacturing.

Actually my point was that the OP would not need a defence because 'someone' else would do it. And that person would likely have a defence - not that I condone getting some ignorant person to do it for you.

It's not an offence to commission manufacturing a RIF is it?

I could imagine the criminal charges... "HE PUT CAMO TAPE ON A TOY GUN!!!! HES WORSE THAN A PEDO!!! SHOOT HIM!!! NO NOT WITH THE TOY GUN WITH A REAL ONE!!!! WHAT DO YOU MEAN ONLY RICH PEOPLE AND THE POLICE HAVE GUNS I AM THE JUDGE AND I DEMAND HE IS SHOT FOR HIS CRIIIMES!!!"

• Root Admin

I mean I agree it's silly, but he's asking if it's legal or not: Not whether it's stupid or not.

Is it legal? Questionable. Valid defence needs to be had to manufacture an RIF, but whilst UKARA is the mentioned airsoft valid defence it is not to the exclusion of all others.

I mean I agree it's silly, but he's asking if it's legal or not: Not whether it's stupid or not.

Is it legal? Questionable. Valid defence needs to be had to manufacture an RIF, but whilst UKARA is the mentioned airsoft valid defence it is not to the exclusion of all others.

Manufacturing implies something permanent, camo tape and equivalents aren't permanent.

http://www.cps.gov.uk/legal/d_to_g/firearms/#a04

CPS uses the word "modify" I'd hardly call that implying permanence.

CPS aren't a legislative body, only a enforcement one, if you are going to interpret at least use the actual legislation.

Prosecutors aren't the judiciary however.

It's legal to do almost anything you want with an IF after you have purchased it. You can be 18 and over, buy an IF - and even in the same transaction purchase a new lower receiver and butt stock.

As far as I'm aware, changing the appearance of a two-tone airsoft weapon, into an RIF - be it with paint, tape, stencils, bunny rabbits..... falls under "manufacturing" as people have said before me.

It is manufacturing, but the defence against prosecution for manufacturing is simply that you were doing it for the purposes of "the acting out of military or law enforcement scenarios for the purposes of recreation" (an example of which is 'airsoft skirmishing') at a site with third party liability insurance.

It's up to you to decide whether you felt you could prove this to be the case.

Probably best to just err on the side of caution. Firearms/gun laws have some rather grey areas that seem to be open to interpretation on both sides! But I'm sure if you can prove you have been skirmishing or are on your way to a site then I can't imagine any issues. If you were suffering a failure of intelligence and waving it around in public then good luck in court ...if you haven't been shot by armed police first

Im probably in a bit of minority in that I like the two-tone red and black M4 variants. They remind me of the the full bore versions used in 3-gun competitions.

Archived