LiPo Charging

Von Nimble
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hey everyone,

So I've just bought a new AEG as the price of gas when using only gas guns is a little unmanageable when I'm skirmishing 2-3 times a week.

I decided to go for a 11.4 LiPo instead of NiMs which I have previously used as the difference between the two is well worth the extra money.

My question is, which my charger for my NiMs be sufficient or should I get a special LiPo charger? If I should what would you recommend?

Cheers guys!

• Supporters

Genuine IMax B6

http://www.hobbyking.co.uk/hobbyking/store/__28146__IMAX_B6_50W_5A_Charger_Discharger_1_6_Cells_GENUINE_UK_Warehouse_.html

there must be numerous posts about this, could buy a clone but tbh get genuine

old laptop psu 11-18v

might need adapters for small tamiya or rewire to deans blah blah blah

that is the type of charger you want

a B3 type that charges through balance lead takes longer to charge and shows no info on battery etc....

if you can run to it Gen B6 is what you should get

• Supporters

A Nimh charger is absoluetly NOT the right thing to use!

Get a decent balance charger like the Accucell or SkyRC iMax b6. Beware that there are many fale copies of the b6 around so get it from a reputable dealer like Hobbyking. http://www.hobbyking.co.uk/hobbyking/store/__5548__IMAX_B6_50W_5A_Charger_Discharger_1_6_Cells_GENUINE_.html

• Supporters

well spotted Lozart....

didn't read that bit he was wondering about using a nimah charger - no no no no no no

Gen B6 will do all types - only one you need really as long as you got the correct plugs/adapters

if you stay on that page for a few mins the price drops with a 5-10% offer £21:68 atm with offer

anything cheaper will very very likely be a clone which I do not advise as they may not be so accurate which can kill your lipo if overcharges past 4.2v per cell and can be dangerous......

Some clones are ok if you test the voltage through a testmeter but I would not advise this clone crap - another £8 well spent to get the real thing

As above, in addition, give the WE equivalents a wide berth, prone to bad manufacturing which has a tendency to cause battery fires, retailers still sell them regardless.

• 5 months later...

A Nimh charger is absoluetly NOT the right thing to use!

Get a decent balance charger like the Accucell or SkyRC iMax b6. Beware that there are many fale copies of the b6 around so get it from a reputable dealer like Hobbyking. http://www.hobbyking.co.uk/hobbyking/store/__5548__IMAX_B6_50W_5A_Charger_Discharger_1_6_Cells_GENUINE_.html

Sorry to dig up a old thread but I'm looking for a new charger and google brings up mostly amazon or eBay links for thewe imax ones.

Firstly , is the charger you linked ready to go ? E.g. power cable to plug into uk mains included if not any links for the correct one ? Also does hobby king incur the tax or are they like China and declare cheaper so avoid ?

Cheers

• Supporters

Hobbyking have a uk warehouse so no import tax etc

You can get charge leads cheap, I have just ordered a new set off leads from component shop, through eBay (item number 231423831449 £4.24)

Edit, just looked at the hobby king imax, I dose not come with a power supply, but all you need is a 15v supply, like a laptop charger

Hobbyking have a uk warehouse so no import tax etc

You can get charge leads cheap, I have just ordered a new set off leads from component shop, through eBay (item number 231423831449 £4.24)

Edit, just looked at the hobby king imax, I dose not come with a power supply, but all you need is a 15v supply, like a laptop charger

I didn't think it did but thought I'd ask just in case.

Would this do the job? https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B00ECWZKDE/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1485205121&sr=1-1π=AC_SX236_SY340_FMwebp_QL65&keywords=15v+dc&dpPl=1&dpID=51Nl8bVBciL&ref=plSrch

I am guessing there isn't a way of knowing if this one is fake or genuine ? http://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/172401169819?_mwBanner=1

• Supporters

Think it needs to be capable of 50w I'll have a look at mine when I get home

You could always get the imax b6ac, it has a built in power supply

Edit put 100w instead off 50w

Edit 2 no idea on that b6ac

Think it needs to be capable of 50w I'll have a look at mine when I get home

You could always get the imax b6ac, it has a built in power supply

Edit put 100w instead off 50w

Edit 2 no idea on that b6ac

Yeah I linked to a eBay AC version however depends if it's genuine or not , the hobby king AC version is lsited as globAl shipping so not sure If it will have the right plug on it for UK plus it will probably be shipped from outside of EU knowing my luck lol.

The dc version seems quickest route being from a UK warehouse just finding the right laptop supply

• Supporters

Cheers I've gone for the smaller one and ordered a power pack for it. cheers for the link/ help!

Hey everyone,

So I've just bought a new AEG as the price of gas when using only gas guns is a little unmanageable when I'm skirmishing 2-3 times a week.

I decided to go for a 11.4 LiPo instead of NiMs which I have previously used as the difference between the two is well worth the extra money.

My question is, which my charger for my NiMs be sufficient or should I get a special LiPo charger? If I should what would you recommend?

Cheers guys!

get the imax b6 AC ; it comes with the uk power leads

• 1 month later...

Sorry to bring this topic back up, I'm late moving into the LiPo world and just wanted to clarify some of the info that's been said!

I've currently got a WE charger which doesn't display levels or do discharging, plus I've heard they're terrible, so I'm looking to pick up the IMAX B6 mentioned earlier. Can anyone clarify that these are the right things to be looking at?

https://hobbyking.com/en_us/imax-b6-50w-5a-charger-discharger-1-6-cells-genuine.html

https://hobbyking.com/en_us/hobbyking-105w-15v-7a-switching-dc-power-supply.html

Genuine B6 and an adapter for plugging it into the mains? (I've got a UK cable to replace the US one in the picture). So I'm guessing I power the charger though mains - adapter - DC input?

Probably should have taken physics at school... 

Thanks!

• Supporters

yup input voltage is 11v to 18v - so you could also charge it with a car cigarette lighter adapter too

(correct lead of course)

input voltage is 11 to 18v and psu amp rating should be 3 amp to 5 amp

can use an old laptop psu- think an old IBM one works with a 5.5mm jack on it

BUT - trouble is certain laptops change their psu's often not just plug but power ratings

I am not responsible if you blow it by plugging in say a 20v psu with incorrect polarity

so unless you are competent with a test meter & can check/fit the correct plug & ensure correct polarity...

Get the recommended psu they offer to work with B6

Try to order from UK - if you order from US or HongKong it could take a while and slight risk of stopped at customs

(more so from the states imho)

Not rocket science to use - but a few settings might throw you a bit until you get used to the menu system

really it is very easy to use unless you change battery type - LiPo to LiFe still does my head in a little

if you stick to charging LiPo's then it is a breeze to use any capacity any voltage - no drama at all

Quicker than charging through the balance lead - check/balancing the cells - job done

On 17 August 2016 at 3:39 PM, Von Nimble said:

Hey everyone,

Cheers guys!

Like the others say IMAX B6 AC, go for the AC version if for the uk it comes with a UK plug.

Many thanks for the assistance chaps. I managed to find the AC version from over here with a UK plug, as most seemed to state US on the contents description. Not sure if they'd have actually come with US one, but I didn't fancy taking the chance!

Lets just hope the one that turns up is genuine like the picture...

Archived