New to airsoft - Kit recommendation

LewisUK
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Supporters

Spend a bit more and get an FMA one with the dial adjuster. It'll fit much better.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Moderators

I have similar protection your looking at, i also have Rev fan googles with thermal lens (yet to remove foam but i will to aid venting and Thermal lens has decided to come apart, no reply from Rev yet....3 months on)

My fan googles still produce droplets that are annoying when in your LOS, last time i played i swapped back for my ESSV12's with some fogtech wipe and was much happier (they have foam removed). Ive also used sawflies, they too got foggy while standing around., with mask and helmet, give good protection around sides, well for me

Wear the same ear/face pro as well as the half face pro, both fitted to my fast helmet with simple youtube method

Also for most GMA games now i wear a cap or boonie with the face/ear pro

No longer wear anything on neck and just wear ubacs with sleeves rolled up, helps to keep you cool, got hit on neck to side of Adams Apple, worst hit ive had, just a normal pain like anywhere else, even been hit between goggles and mask, below eye, you may be worrying to much, ITH will tell you, he'd play in a pair of speedos if he could and enjoy it:)

most of it is trial and error, what may work for me may not work for you. Also, a lot of the eye pro needs some kind of movement to help air flow, so sitting in a bush under the midday sun, with your neck wrapped up, your going to heat up and you goggles may fog. I have about 6 pairs of various eye pro now!

note - ive been cycling to work recently, not sure why, but under my skid lid i wear my oakley sunglasses, stop at a set of traffic lights....fog in seconds, move away, it clears....so a little comparison for you....hahaha :)

best go, wife has returned!

I just started too so I have started buying stuff

I went with the:

Bolle X1000 Goggles

Mechanix M-Pact Gloves

Warrior 901 Chest Rig

British Military Surplus MTP UBACS Top and Trousers

Helmet wise I am trying to het a British Military MK6 or MK7 helmet

I will be buying a Half Face Mesh Mask once I receive my clothing to see what matches

Will end up getting a scarf/Band at some point

Knee and Elbow pads

Good Hiking shows and good Hiking Socks

I have had some cheap revision locust goggle things from fleabay for a year now that i picked up for about 3 quid. They provide a great seal and once i'd taken out all the foam from the dust filters i havent had a single instance of fog, even on hot days :)

something like this: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Revision-Desert-Locust-Goggles-/302053824177?hash=item4653cf96b1:g:v4QAAOSwZVlXwJAf

I just started too so I have started buying stuff

I went with the:

Bolle X1000 Goggles

Mechanix M-Pact Gloves

Warrior 901 Chest Rig

British Military Surplus MTP UBACS Top and Trousers

Helmet wise I am trying to het a British Military MK6 or MK7 helmet

I will be buying a Half Face Mesh Mask once I receive my clothing to see what matches

Will end up getting a scarf/Band at some point

Knee and Elbow pads

Good Hiking shows and good Hiking Socks

I got the Bolle x1000 goggles as well (although the rx version) and am pleased with them. I have a half face mask as well. I wear a cap which covers most of my forehead, so I think I have face protection covered. I am not too worried about being hit anywhere else, although I do wear gloves.

You can wear rated shooting glasses under mesh of the fencing mask stylpe.

Second this. I'm new to airsoft, but I used my shooting glasses. Not only are they prescription (so no need to mess around with contact lenses on the field), but they conform to US Mil-PRF-31013 ballistic levels, so they're more than adequate for airsoft.

• Root Admin

Using partial seal is of course a decision that's up to you, but personally I wouldn't recommend it. BBs can and do get under and over them and I think most of us know of at least someone who's had a close shave and switched to full seal.

ESS V12s are great for prescriptions too - the VICE insert is cheap and only has about a 1/3 rim so doesn't get in the way. I think it cost me £57 for mine with the ultra thin, UV and anti-scratch coatings.

Again though, some people do perfectly well with it. I'm just not sure if I'd recommend open eyewear to a beginner.

Must admit that i tend to go for the Dye i4 as it soooo comfy and never fogs. I used to play paintball years ago and always went for the dye goggles as the thermal lense is the best on the market. The only problem is after a couple of games the foam gets damp, well no....It gets wet. I take a couple of hand towels just to dab dry it between games. I do have the Nuprol mesh glasses which are also very good paired with a snood type doofer which protects my lower head.

I seen a set of goggles on eBay that contain a fan inside has anyone tried them?

I'm currently using the mesh mask and full mesh goggle type. As someone said further up distance aiming they get a bit blurry with your eyes adjusting.

• Moderators

I seen a set of goggles on eBay that contain a fan inside has anyone tried them?

I'm currently using the mesh mask and full mesh goggle type. As someone said further up distance aiming they get a bit blurry with your eyes adjusting.

what are they?, ESS, Smiths, Revisions, FMA?

or just some fan goggles?

as Proffrink said, check the rating / details to be sure. There is a list somewhere of the classes etc you should look at, although I'm sure someone more in the know would let you know anyway if you asked :)

Look at this on eBay http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/131611393568 these are the fan ones I seen not bad priced and look decent. But can't see any ratings listed for them.

ESS Ice, Revision Sawfly for ballistic glasses, or Heroshark (mesh)

The ess and revision can be bought from military surplus groups on FB and hero sharks also on FB.

Also check out TacBeltsUk on FB as he makes quality lower face pro.

DO NOT BUY any viper gear, it's cheap crap. All falls apart. FB groups are a great place to scour for good quality gear at affordable prices.

And welcome to the forums BTW! :D

• Supporters

DO NOT BUY any viper gear, it's cheap crap. All falls apart.

Not entirely true I have a viper tac vest I use for cqb as a simple way to carry my crap. Its 3yrs old, probably about 70ish games and its still going strong and I am very hard on gear.

A lot of there stuff isn't great but their newer stuff has been improved.

• Moderators

Look at this on eBay http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/131611393568 these are the fan ones I seen not bad priced and look decent. But can't see any ratings listed for them.

They look like FMA ones but on my phone so can't zoom in, Firesupport sell the FMA goggles with fans, I have a pair, not used yet as currently gone back to my ESS v12s

when I started out I bought a viper dump pouch fell apart after 6 games, an adjustable holster 2 games and 5.56 triple ammo pouch 4 games. took them all back to shop where they just handed over replacement without asking for receipt/proof of purchase. Along with an eye roll and head shake :P

Just did my full first day at CQB with this kit for head protection yesterday;

KombatUK Mesh Cap

Revision Desert Locust

TMC Strike Mesh Mask

Black Shemag

Got shot in the fact a fair bit as well :P

The cap, while not providing the best protection did stop a few headshots from causing skin breaks, which is exactly what I wanted, so that works fine, looks good and holds the straps in place for my mask and goggles.

The goggles, got shot in them a good 5 times, BB's just bounced off, not even a mark and in terms of fogging, did not fog ONCE - Didnt even need to use any anti-fog stuff. Only issue i had was as i sweat a lot i ended up with a film of sweat on the inside of the goggles, which i could just wipe off :)

The mask, well its a mesh facemask that covers the ears, it works. and fits with the goggles most of the way round, there is a tiny gap on my nose but likelihood of being shot there is minimal :D

Shemag- Wore it for 1 game, took it off as it was cooking my neck. Just gonna stick to using my collar for neck protection for now!

Thanks for the tips on kit guys, really happy with my set up at the moment, also got a starter gun from the site I play at (Got my UKARA yesterday) which is just an AEG AK47 Short barrel, recommended by the marshals there, got 2 high cap mags with it as well.

Link to Pics due to massive pictures:

http://imgur.com/a/YNZek

Definitely looking forward to more games :)

• Moderators

glad it worked out, my only difference is i have fan goggles or i use ESS V12s :)

• Moderators

Try multifunction headgear (available in most camos).

I gave up wearing that as well as got too hot 😀

Not entirely true I have a viper tac vest I use for cqb as a simple way to carry my crap. Its 3yrs old, probably about 70ish games and its still going strong and I am very hard on gear.

A lot of there stuff isn't great but their newer stuff has been improved.

I was talking to a guy yesterday who was a walking Viper catalogue. He sung its praises so cant be too bad.

• Supporters

I was talking to a guy yesterday who was a walking Viper catalogue. He sung its praises so cant be too bad.

That might be just because he doesn't have a clue though. Lots of people buy it from their local airsoft shop and think its amazing but honestly mostly it isn't. Even nuprol make/rebrand the odd good item but it doesn't make them a name you can trust.

I am a firm believer in paying silly money for airsoft clothes is a bit stupid and I say this because I have done that not out of poor man jealously. But that doesn't mean that you have to be blind to that fact that a lot of cheap stuff is garbage.

I know a guy who says god is real but I think he is delusional as well.

Archived