Mgazine Catch Stuck M4

DuckyIsDaBest
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

When reassembling my G&P m4 RAS I stupidly put the spring on the wrong side of the gearbox when reinserting my magazine catch I was wondering why it was so hard to do... and now it is very stuck in place any advice or help anyone can give me to get it out... preferably without drilling it out...

https://gyazo.com/28a89da378844be108c87f4546fa4313

https://gyazo.com/01a7318442d1e7c6e9d077d9f0a67d2f

https://gyazo.com/e2c301809a7836e0655eefde89ce3cb7

https://gyazo.com/3a667ea55f28278b2646988d1b26d6f9

https://gyazo.com/cf27d32bc2155da73c65742001368dec

• Supporters

shouldn't it just tap through - with a bit of prying from screwdriver if it catch in gearbox "loop" ??

on 2nd pic the mag catch looks really tight on the "loop" when you zoom in:

IcmC0Dq.jpg

just wondering is that where it got wedged ???

bit weird coz it should wobble around - place the end on mag catch and give it a gentle WALLOP !!!!

the trick is to know not where to hit it but just how hard to hit it

seriously apply a bit of common sense to it and a few taps she should come out - weird how it wedged itself in there

but seems to have scraped/wedged on one area of the loop to me

tappy tappy - not wallopy wallop btw - the brute force method is when you really have the hump and no longer give a to$$ if you break stuff off the high quality precision built pile of junk toy gun in front of you (figure of speech btw not an attack on your pride n joy)

I wish it just seems to be stuck on something but can't seem to figure out what i've tried depressing the spring i've tried brute forcing it out i've tried prying it out im at the stage of just getting a saw blade and a drill and buying a new one...

• Supporters

I wish it just seems to be stuck on something but can't seem to figure out what i've tried depressing the spring i've tried brute forcing it out i've tried prying it out im at the stage of just getting a saw blade and a drill and buying a new one...

no no no no no.....

undo all the pins grip n stuff and it will free up loads of slack

undo stock tube, receiver pins and pistol grip if still no joy

you haven't got the thin gearbox pin in there at present...

but in your 2nd pic (I cropped it and zoomed in it btw)

in your 2nd pic the thin gearbox hole looks out of whack/alingment

Have you screwed on the stock tube ultra tight and yanked the box right back to get that mag catch to rub so far forward that it wedged itself in there when incorrectly fitted???

you should be able to free it all up once it has some slack in there.....

the refit should go something like this:

receiver pin & thin gearbox pins

pistol grip - ensuring the grip doesn't pull the box out - if so a bit of filing on grip needed if it pulls box out of whack

actually it usually pulls the motor alignment out of whack than the box itself but suppose it could try to pull box a whisper back

then stock fitted after this and check it doesn't pull the box backwards & possibly up a little....

if this takes place it usually means a small gap is at back of gearbox & receiver - fit a piece of rubber or something to fill that space

normally on polymer receivers a small 0.5mm to 1mm gap it will be ok as the receiver will give a bit

on full metal receivers it won't give and will simply try to pull box backwards and sometimes upwards at nozzle

this can cause the nozzle to rub in hop unit and create bad sealing

check box is straight in lower receiver and if pulled up/back a gap can appear where trigger is mounted out of box in receiver

damn I need to get out more if I now waffle about gearbox/receiver alignment so much

Thanks i managed to fix it before it turned out the magazine catch was slipping under the hole and getting caught ive had to put sorings on both sides... I will take the gearbox alignment into consideration when i next take it apart...

• Supporters

you should only need the spring on the release button side....

if it is a bit loose/light then just stretch the spring a bit when fitting

but as long as you got it out & sorted without dremel hacksaw drill etc....

as for refitting gearbox - yup that is what I found later, there is a recommended sequence when putting in pins, grip, stock

paying attention as you go coz the box can be pulled out of alignment which means it don't mesh properly with hop

(or nozzle rubs against hop unit and can cause more headaches - oh yeah this toy gun stuff is simple - not)

Archived