Airsoft Forums UK

Player ages

Jam_Man
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Do you 40 something pluses have issues with fitness when playing. Doubt I'll be doing much running, the odd short burst of jogging might happen from time to time :)

Depends on the game scenario, the theme of which to some degree depends on the site (more casual vs more tactical sites). Some sites do games where both teams are supposed to run like madmen to the centre of the AO to grab a "bomb", press the buzzer, etc. These games are particularly appealing to younger players, "speed-softers", or CoD affectionados :P, so only no big surprise there: the younger lads are darting forward and the rest moves at their own pace.

When you go to a site which favours more tactical gamestyle, running will be an option mostly when things go South and your find yourself alone and exposed to enemy fire.

Anyway, don't worry, there is a play style for everyone: from suicidal runners, to stealthy snipers. Airsoft is about having fun, not getting a stroke.

Nonetheless, I remember that after my first day of airsofting, I could barely walk and when climbing stairs I felt pain in muscles I did not even know I have. ;) But that was only after that fist time.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Supporters

Do you 40 something pluses have issues with fitness when playing. Doubt I'll be doing much running, the odd short burst of jogging might happen from time to time :)

I used to when I was middle aged AND fat. Not so much now I've lost the weight.

The trick is to play at your own pace. Find a role that you can fit into and do it well. Don't think you have to be the tip of the spear all the time with the superfit kiddies that just end up being the first to get hit!

I plan on being 2nd wave.Let the younger ones lead the attack.

I've started jogging recently to try to get back in shape but just as I was making progress strained a muscle so now back to square one. One thing after the other in middle age:)

• Supporters

I've started jogging recently to try to get back in shape but just as I was making progress strained a muscle so now back to square one. One thing after the other in middle age:)

Stretch. Always stretch.

I wonder if you will believe this, but I have just turned 70 and airsoft was on my bucket list of things to do before I die. I have wanted to have a go at it for years, but never quite got round to it before. I am enjoying it so far and the site I go to is very welcoming. And if Mick Jagger can still bounce around on stage at his age, I can still strut my stuff too - carpe diem!

Just read this, well impressed and embarrassed Im going on about my age at 46.

44 here and still enjoy it. I leave the frantic charge at the beginning to the younger lads. Some sites seem to attract different age groups more than others but I'd say the majority of players I've seen tend to be in their 20s-30s.

Just read this, well impressed and embarrassed Im going on about my age at 46.

When you get to my age, you worry less about the possibility of embarrassment and more about achieving what you want to do before the grim reaper taps you on the shoulder.

Someone once said that chess is like a lake in which an ant may drink and an elephant may bathe, meaning it is a game which can be played by people of all ages and levels of ability. Airsoft is a bit like this, in that, in that if you wish, you can play it at a frenetic pace, but you can also spend most of a game hiding in a bush or behind a tree.

As the comedian Bill Hicks said, life is a ride....enjoy the ride!

• Supporters

The trick is to play at your own pace. Find a role that you can fit into and do it well. Don't think you have to be the tip of the spear all the time with the superfit kiddies that just end up being the first to get hit!

So true - so very true....

I have improved a little - still crap but at least I'm not as $hit as I first was

I like to keep myself in shape - this week's shape is a sack of spuds (Chubby Brown)

I know I am not going to be last man standing - so wtf I'll be the decoy/sitting duck to draw their attention/fire whilst the experienced/better players on my team grab the opportunity of me getting my ar$ed whipped - or they can enjoy a good laugh at my expense.....

I have just one regret - why didn't I discover this peew peew stuff a lot sooner ?

I'm 40 I also run & mountain bike so fitness isnt really an issue as such, but I have no experience of military stuff or knowledge of firearms so I can run with the young uns but still crap.

I tend to hang back and move using my intelligence, I choose my route carefully & will often watch an exchange before committing myself into it.

I don't think age or fitness is a big decider, If you consider what you can do & match it with what needs to be done then you should be alright really

• Mostly Retired Moderators

It must be said that the older I get, the less afraid of getting hit I am.

So if we're pinned down I'll go charging in if the young'uns are scared of getting lit up by 15 enemies.

I dunno, it's like you feel the pain less as you get older..!

• Supporters

So if we're pinned down I'll go charging in if the young'uns are scared of getting lit up by 15 enemies.

Trust me, get old enough and it starts going back the other way! :)

I'm 51 , only started in February last year but absolutely love the sport wish I had started earlier as after playing at some of the hillier sites by me I can only just walk the day after but that's partly to do with having a dodgy knee so I tend to saunter round rather than run , in the eighteen months I've been playing I've spent a small fortune on gear and guns and recently got into recoil guns so spent even more , all in all a sport for all ages and I'll carry on playing a good few years yet

I noticed the last time I played that the more aggressive I was with my positioning and moving up the less I got hit. I was surprised how many shots miss you when your under fire. I now move in quickly but chose my moment carefully

• Supporters

I noticed the last time I played that the more aggressive I was with my positioning and moving up the less I got hit. I was surprised how many shots miss you when your under fire. I now move in quickly but chose my moment carefully

Seeing as you're more likely to get hit if you stand still, the more dynamic you are the less you should get hit. Doesn't always work of course but still...

• Supporters

If move too fast getting hit will be a relief :)

I know you raise your hand and shout hit, but is it also ok to just have a bit of a lay down? :D

As long as you've got your hand up! :D

As long as you've got your hand up! :D

Hand up what ?

You always turn things the wrong way :D

• Supporters

32, I have found myself at loads of different sites, I would say the average player I come across is 20-35, Male and with a high enough income to justify expensive toys. There tends to be a bit of a cool down when things like kids, mortgages, wives and GF's get in the way, then it picks up again for the older guys who come with their kids. So there are two outlying groups 12-18 coming with dad, and 40-50 ie the dads.

Good on you Beethoven you would be the oldest I have come across, although age doesn't often come up in conversation, the focus tends to be on kit.

Having said that, with all hobbies there are all sorts, I have played alongside and against, the young and old codsofters, cadets (who really should have had better skills), ex forces, serving forces, retirees, students, doctors, lawyers, engineers, stockbrokers, builders, plumbers and brickies. The one thing I think I have found in common with almost all sites is there is always a tree surgeon playing!

Oh and my fitness is shocking!!!! It doesn't help that my ankles are weak from years of rugby and lots of sprains and I had an op to remove some torn cartilage in my knee after a fall at an airsoft site a few years back. I always say I will leave the running to the younger guys but somehow I always end up having to show them how to fire and manoeuvre up the field. It is one of my aims this winter is to sort out a proper exercise routine.

43 & son 16, like others brain is 20 something body is around 60 :D .

Absolutely mate

And I can give you 5 years also..

My wife and our boy both play too. He's 15, running all day and jumping over bushes like I can remember. Then I think to myself, it's scary how long ago that doesn't seem. Life's for living, go do it, there will come a time when I can't, don't want to be sat there wishing I had.

Archived