When Milsims are not serious enough

Perun
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

This is what happens when grownups cannot admit they simply love playing soldiers with toy guns and become desperate in finding a serious reason for it:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-37039365

:P

BTW, if I lived in Poland, i would certainly join one of those groups: looks like they have a blast ;)

• Moderators

Where's that gem of a topic about people keeping loaded BB guns ready to defend their house with?

did a quick search, no luck!....was an 'interesting' topic :)

A few points.

I understand militias, but preppers are weird, paranoid people who ruin the lives of their families. There is obviously no threat from Russia to Poland, and even if there was, 100,000 young men, most of whom have probably only practiced with airsoft guns, are no match whatsoever to Russia's behemoth of a military force.

I don't think they're all weird paranoid preppers, military training is never a bad thing, but thinking that Russia pose a threat AND that they would he able to fend them off is illogical.

A few points.

I understand militias, but preppers are weird, paranoid people who ruin the lives of their families. There is obviously no threat from Russia to Poland, and even if there was, 100,000 young men, most of whom have probably only practiced with airsoft guns, are no match whatsoever to Russia's behemoth of a military force.

I don't think they're all weird paranoid preppers, military training is never a bad thing, but thinking that Russia pose a threat AND that they would he able to fend them off is illogical.

There is obviously no threat from Russia to Ukraine.

A few points.

Bored at work, so a few points in retort.

"preppers are weird, paranoid people who ruin the lives of their families" - Why? It took FEMA 5 days to reach the superdome. The bloke with a 72 hour pack might not seem that big a prick when he's on the floor bleeding out after he's been lynched for the supplies he had the foresight to prep.

"There is obviously no threat from Russia to Poland" - Just lol...

"even if there was, 100,000 young men, most of whom have probably only practiced with airsoft guns, are no match whatsoever to Russia's behemoth of a military force" - Yeah - cus Russian military might guarantees victory? **cought** Mujahideen

"military training is never a bad thing" - Depends who you ask - see militirization of society debates.

"but thinking that Russia pose a threat AND that they would he able to fend them off is illogical" - I disagree. I think Russia do pose a threat - and I don't think even a bunch of walts playing airsoft in the hope it will help is as illogical as you might think. After all, it's given them an in-road to a BBC video about the plight Polish people find themselves in - that alone has a value to their cause no?

There is obviously no threat from Russia to Ukraine.

Well, here's the thing: a conquest can be divided into at least three substantially different stages:

1. invasion - when you send the troops to defeat the defending army

2. control - when you impose your rule upon the seized teritory (law, taxation, civil authorities)

3. assimilation - when Gauls start wearing togas and speak Latin :P

Russians have had their lesson in Afganistan, just like we recently had both in Afganistan and Iraq: you can swiftly crush the defending force using your overwhelming technological and numeric superiority, and still be forced to leave the country after some years of bloody, frustrating asymetric warfare, achieving nothing except for filling out pockets of the military industry with taxpayers' money and filling black bags with bodies. You need the hearts and minds of the invaded civilian population, you need if not their support then at least indifference to succeed.

So even though Russians may be confident that should they attack, they would have eaten lunch in Warsaw, diner in Berlin and breakfast in Paris, yet they still shall not invade, knowing that they have no means to establish the control over the teritory, not to mention the assimilation of the population. In other words: they could not digest what they could swallow.

Crimea had been only given to the Ukrainian Soviet Republic in the 50ties, as far as I can remember - it was done within the borders of the Soviet Union, so, for want of a better example, it was like giving Chepstow to Gloucestershire. Putin has a huge support among local, Russian speaking population, hence there are no hostilities against Russian army or ciilian authorities there. Yet the costs of "reuniting" Crimea with Mother Russia are devastating to the economy as Russia has to unify the infrastructure (think: financial services, telecoms, public transport, utilities, schools, etc).

The population of Eastern Ukraine is also by and large Russian speaking and culturally distinctive from Westen Ukraine, so they may or may not (depending on whose propaganda you believe :P ) be more in favour of integration with Russia rather than the EU.

Invading Poland, with practically non-existent Russian minority, millions of Poles remembering their basic training from the times before conscription was abolished plus some 100 000 para-militaries, eager to swap their AEGs to AKs (let us not forget, a substantial number of them actually legally owns assault rifles), 115 000 registered hunters and an indefinite number of farmers who stashed their granddad's PPSh and a couple of grenades in the attic, just in case - I cannot imagine what political purpose would that serve?

The war in Afganistan was one of the key factors which contributed to the fall of the USSR. Why Putin would consider another such disaster?

Well, at least this is why I think that we cannot extrapolate the situation in Ukraine to Poland. ;)

Wow, you guys need to see the stuff that we have in the States! Back in my home state of Maryland, I had at least 2,000 rounds of ammo for my Arsenal AK at all times, about 2 months of food for 5 people, and tons of other guns and ammo to defend the home with. Prepping is a big thing in some places, where people don't feel comfortable with the current world/government situations. So it's no wonder Poland is gearing up, considering Putin took over parts of Ukraine, and he's still supporting the separatists in Ukraine.

Wow, you guys need to see the stuff that we have in the States! Back in my home state of Maryland, I had at least 2,000 rounds of ammo for my Arsenal AK at all times, about 2 months of food for 5 people, and tons of other guns and ammo to defend the home with. Prepping is a big thing in some places, where people don't feel comfortable with the current world/government situations. So it's no wonder Poland is gearing up, considering Putin took over parts of Ukraine, and he's still supporting the separatists in Ukraine.

Well, I cannot deny, that Putin is a much more plausible excuse for prepping than the zombie apocalypse or the invasion of LVOS (lesbian vampires from outer space). But then again, I fully subscribe to what Simon Chambers wrote in "Devil's Playground": "we are at war, had been for some time, and most of the world was still asleep to the reality of it". Russia is a distraction for the public from the mess that we have found ourselves in thank to Mr Bush and Mr Blair. :P

Well, I cannot deny, that Putin is a much more plausible excuse for prepping than the zombie apocalypse or the invasion of LVOS (lesbian vampires from outer space). But then again, I fully subscribe to what Simon Chambers wrote in "Devil's Playground": "we are at war, had been for some time, and most of the world was still asleep to the reality of it". Russia is a distraction for the public from the mess that we have found ourselves in thank to Mr Bush and Mr Blair. :P

In Maryland, we had tornadoes, hurricanes, and really bad thunderstorms and snowstorms. That stuff meant you had to be prepared for anything in the future. And I must add, we do have lots of people who hate Bush and that's why we didn't vote for Jeb in our Republican primary election.

In Maryland, we had tornadoes, hurricanes, and really bad thunderstorms and snowstorms. That stuff meant you had to be prepared for anything in the future. And I must add, we do have lots of people who hate Bush and that's why we didn't vote for Jeb in our Republican primary election.

I appreciate that: when you start prepping with situation & risk analysis and you use means proportionate and adequate to identified threats. But teaching your family bushcraft as a response to the threat from Russia, hell, that's some bad risk analysis skills for me, that, or finding a convinient excuse.

I grew up on war stories - my grandnan has been through three wars, my grandparents either fought in the WW2 or had to live under nazi occupation (slave labour camps, prisons, gestapo, the whole nine yards). They managed to survive even though did not know how to make a bow out of squirell intestines and elk antlers ;-)

Don't get me wrong, please, I do not dismiss the idea of prepping (I have a few books on survival in my library) but I find that UCP clad bloke, who prepps for war with Russia by hiking in the forests of North-East Poland, totally ludicrous - for the reasons I waffled about in my previous posts: wrong response to an unlikely threat.

He is wearing UCP. In a Polish forest. To hide from Russians.

• Head Moderator

Where's that gem of a topic about people keeping loaded BB guns ready to defend their house with?

Believe that this is the thread - http://www.airsoft-forums.co.uk/index.php/topic/29604-airsoft-gun-for-home-defence/?hl=criminal#entry227762.

All about using an Airsoft gun for home defence and it raised some interesting posts.

• 2 weeks later...

https://youtu.be/yzbCkHxNxvc

Check this out there hardly preparing for war training with bb guns

Well...

1 - It's they're, not there.

2 - Have you watched the video fully?

The event you mention was run by the Polish Defence Ministry as part of a national program of civil defence training. Yes - they use airsoft guns but it's not like a random bunch of skirmishers from Leeds. Even the US Marines have used airsoft weapons for training purposes. That in and of itself doesn't necessarily mean their whole training regime is flawed.

But my main point about your post... The dude the video follows, Damian Duda, who is running around with "bb guns" from about the 16 minute mark at that airsoft event - also shows the camera team the real functional AK that he keeps in his cupboard at the 5 minute mark. He also takes them to his firing range where they use more real weapons for target purposes, and explains through the video other things. So, there's more to this than just random walts being lame...

Archived