Ordering from the USA

callumbagshaw
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hi all,

Just a quick question regarding importing a RIF from the USA to here in the UK.

I've found a gun I'm after on an american site, and it's about £70 cheaper than any UK dealers I'm aware of.

The rifle is roughly £159, and shipping is roughly £30 - still making it a good £20-40 cheaper than most UK sites.

I was wondering (I did google but it confused the f**k out of me), how much import tax would I have to pay on this?

Is it worth it, or should I just buy local?

Cheers.

• Supporters

http://www.dutycalculator.com/new-import-duty-and-tax-calculation/saved_calculations/view_details/206369638/

£6.29 Duty

£40.59 VAT

Add onto that whatever brokerage charges that the carrier stiffs you for (Parcel Farce is £13 if I remember correctly).

Basically if the gun here is £250ish or less then I wouldn't bother.

http://www.dutycalculator.com/new-import-duty-and-tax-calculation/saved_calculations/view_details/206369638/

£6.29 Duty

£40.59 VAT

Add onto that whatever brokerage charges that the carrier stiffs you for (Parcel Farce is £13 if I remember correctly).

Basically if the gun here is £250ish or less then I wouldn't bother.

Cheers mate, that's everything I need to know - I'll stay local and support my nearby suppliers :)

It's not particularly relevant to the OP's question, but I have heard on the forums that some overseas retailers somehow don't bring with them any import tax, and some of them also declare the items for quite a bit less than you'd be paying for them. Can't remember which retailers though.

However, unless it is impossible/really difficult to get it in the UK, I'd just say support UK businesses.

• Supporters

It's not particularly relevant to the OP's question, but I have heard on the forums that some overseas retailers somehow don't bring with them any import tax, and some of them also declare the items for quite a bit less than you'd be paying for them. Can't remember which retailers though.

However, unless it is impossible/really difficult to get it in the UK, I'd just say support UK businesses.

That generally only happens with Chinese or specifically HK based retailers and it's a bit pot luck. The problem with that of course is that if there's a problem in transit the insurance will only cover you up to the value on the package, not what you paid for it.

Currently of course EU based vendors like Gunfire and Taiwangun are exempt from import duty.

Archived