CM16 Raider - Long vs Short

Jam_Man
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Looking at possible first rifle and the CM16 raider looks like a recommended starter rifle and am planning to trial one shortly.

Is there any difference in performance between the short and long barrel versions? Obviously the shorter barrel preferable in CQB type skirmishes, but in an outdoor skirmish is there any differences in accuracy etc?

• Supporters

Nope none at all really.....

It "might" be a tiny whisker more tighter grouping in a longer 357mm barrel than a 233mm

but I've got longer barrels that shoot all over place and some shorter barrels that a pretty damn tight

So on that note a longer barrel does not guarantee better accuracy on its own than a shorter one

this is more true if a longer barrel might have more possible imperfections or dirt/debris in it if you really wish to study it in great detail

they are the same gun - just choose one you prefer in the end

All I will say you can fit a slightly longer say 250mm tbb in a short Raider or even a 300/357/363 & fit a supressor or something to hide it

(or a 4" outer barrel extension to make it a long raider)

with a longer raider you are stuck with the longer outer barrel at least

The Raider is an excellent starter, the dust cover doesn't drop down like the cheaper M4 carbine model but I guess they have to cut costs

(both carbine & raider models have a sprung loaded cover to adjust hop - my only real critisism of them really)

it has rails for any goodies you wish to bolt on so it is a wiser model I guess than the carbine, decent internals - better than any JBBG gun

the plastic polymer body takes some beating and will last you well plus easy to sell on if/when you decide to upgrade

or keep as a good backup gun or loaner if a m8 comes along

Basically - any of the G&G's will do you proud, ICS's imho are a close second but my own preference is G&G starters are still #1

As you go up in price this may not be the case but around £150 maybe £170 mark nigh on any G&G will do ya

(avoid blow back models if you look at other G&G's - yes it is a feature but think to me you just want a good steady workhorse like Raider)

soz if I've confused you more - they are same gun really

Your reply was useful in addition to the one I found, appreciate it.

I do like the GBB pistols, find them good fun to shoot, have read to go with a basic AEG for a rifle and that will do me for starters. Like the rails so will make use of them at some point too.

Not that they have them in stock but Zeroone have the M90 and M100 springs for the same price as an upgrade, is there any reason not to go for the M100 or does that make them too powerful for some sites?

Diverting from the actual gun a bit, is it worth getting some sort of sight from the outset? I understand the cheaper ones are pretty pointless, whats the starting price for a decent one?

• Supporters

nah - get a decent set of accessories would be more useful.....

if possible go lipo than nimah batteries

another mag or two

good eyepro or full face mask

fancy bollox eotech or other sights - nah.....

for starters the rear sight is removable but not the front sight

so you need risers or something

too many people get a stfu scope/sight with a 500ft range when the gun will only hit 150ft

yeah it makes targeting easier but think other stuff would be a bigger priority:

loadout - boots, gloves maybe, good eyepro is a must of course, just half decent stuff for the rest

charger - spare battery n mags, decent bb's

yeah at some point you can get a nice sight - plus protection unless you want it shot it to $hit on your first unlucky outing

but it can wait tbh is my opinion but others might say differently

Clothing Im ok for now, got some hiking boots that will be ok, although if I see a bargain for combat boots will pick some up. Have a set of army surplus camo now

Making a list of the gun accessories ready for when Im on the database, will go with the extra mag(s) first.

I bought the CM16 Raider Long a couple of weeks ago and it will be making its first outing this weekend coming up in Aberdeen! I haven't tried the shorter version, but just holding the longer version feels more comfortable for me.

RE: accessories, you don't need to wait around to get any, you can purchase them without being "on the database" (by which I assume you mean UKARA?). I've bought a set of low-mid cap mags, an angled foregrip and a NuProl copy of a Comp M3 red dot and sight protector. As has been mentioned above, the front sight isn't removable so does somewhat get in the way.

I'll post back, if I remember, how it goes!

I bought the CM16 Raider Long a couple of weeks ago and it will be making its first outing this weekend coming up in Aberdeen! I haven't tried the shorter version, but just holding the longer version feels more comfortable for me.

RE: accessories, you don't need to wait around to get any, you can purchase them without being "on the database" (by which I assume you mean UKARA?). I've bought a set of low-mid cap mags, an angled foregrip and a NuProl copy of a Comp M3 red dot and sight protector. As has been mentioned above, the front sight isn't removable so does somewhat get in the way.

I'll post back, if I remember, how it goes!

Cool.

If you could post links to any of those items if you got them online that would be handy.

If I buy a few bits now the total cost of the gun will be a little more wife-friendly when it happens !

Cool.

If you could post links to any of those items if you got them online that would be handy.

If I buy a few bits now the total cost of the gun will be a little more wife-friendly when it happens !

Best off waiting until you've played a few games before you buy stuff which you will carry during the game.

Got first skirmish in a couple of weeks.

Best off waiting until you've played a few games before you buy stuff which you will carry during the game.

Good advice but only going to stick to the basics, like the mags etc. Ive bought camo gear but not getting any webbing/vests etc just yet till I get a taste of it.

Well, I've remembered to come back and post, so here I am!

The gun held up well. I'd only used it once before down the end of the garden just to ensure it was firing off properly before setting off to Scotland! A 10 hour drive and an extra day later I can happily report that the gun held up very well! I was using a 2400mAh 7.4V LiPo battery that was charged the day before the event and I imagine was nowhere near depleted by the end of the day.

I was using the G&G mid-cap (79 round) metal magazines and initially there did seem to be a feeding issue that would result in poor firing capability after every magazine change - however this had disappeared after a few hours so I'm putting it down to the gun "bedding in". The adjustable hop was nice and easy to use, I had a small tinker with it for some of the game arenas that I took a 'longer-range' approach to, and it seemed to adjust very nicely using the supplied 0.20g BBs. I found using the stock to it's most-extended-minus-one stop was easiest for me, but then I am a lanky sod with long arms; but the stock was very easy to change on the fly, which I happened to do a few times - compacting it in when going CQB. As I mentioned above, I bought the 'L' variant with the longer barrel. Whilst not a drawback or bad point on my experience, there were a few times where I could have done with a shorter barrel - but these were only in the very CQB elements.

One thing I will say though, I bought the gun based on the very highly-regarded reviews from this site, YouTube and other airsoft communities; especially drawn in by its good (for the price range) internals, robust construction and light weight. Now I won't shy away from the fact that I gave the gun a 'good show' if you will and certainly wasn't afraid to haul it around whilst I was crawling on the ground, sliding into cover, etc. I have now found that the barrel and rail do have a slight wobble to them as if it has come loose somewhere. When I have a bit more spare time, possibly this weekend, I'll strip it down and have a poke about and work out what's come loose. But from a good solid 8 hours of (ab)use, it fared very well, was above my expectations and whilst I do have an itch to replace it, that's in no way influenced by the guns performance but more for my own thirst for something 'new'.

TL:DR: a solid gun that provides a really good entry into airsoft without breaking the bank. It has the versatility to hold up against much more expensive hardware, and quite frankly p***es over the cheaper alternatives.

Well, I've remembered to come back and post, so here I am!

The gun held up well. I'd only used it once before down the end of the garden just to ensure it was firing off properly before setting off to Scotland! A 10 hour drive and an extra day later I can happily report that the gun held up very well! I was using a 2400mAh 7.4V LiPo battery that was charged the day before the event and I imagine was nowhere near depleted by the end of the day.

I was using the G&G mid-cap (79 round) metal magazines and initially there did seem to be a feeding issue that would result in poor firing capability after every magazine change - however this had disappeared after a few hours so I'm putting it down to the gun "bedding in". The adjustable hop was nice and easy to use, I had a small tinker with it for some of the game arenas that I took a 'longer-range' approach to, and it seemed to adjust very nicely using the supplied 0.20g BBs. I found using the stock to it's most-extended-minus-one stop was easiest for me, but then I am a lanky sod with long arms; but the stock was very easy to change on the fly, which I happened to do a few times - compacting it in when going CQB. As I mentioned above, I bought the 'L' variant with the longer barrel. Whilst not a drawback or bad point on my experience, there were a few times where I could have done with a shorter barrel - but these were only in the very CQB elements.

One thing I will say though, I bought the gun based on the very highly-regarded reviews from this site, YouTube and other airsoft communities; especially drawn in by its good (for the price range) internals, robust construction and light weight. Now I won't shy away from the fact that I gave the gun a 'good show' if you will and certainly wasn't afraid to haul it around whilst I was crawling on the ground, sliding into cover, etc. I have now found that the barrel and rail do have a slight wobble to them as if it has come loose somewhere. When I have a bit more spare time, possibly this weekend, I'll strip it down and have a poke about and work out what's come loose. But from a good solid 8 hours of (ab)use, it fared very well, was above my expectations and whilst I do have an itch to replace it, that's in no way influenced by the guns performance but more for my own thirst for something 'new'.

TL:DR: a solid gun that provides a really good entry into airsoft without breaking the bank. It has the versatility to hold up against much more expensive hardware, and quite frankly p***es over the cheaper alternatives.

Thanks for the write up.

Been at the range every weekend and whilst I do like the CM16 raider Ive also taken a shine to the all metal version which is a bit more money, but when you take into account it comes with a battery doesnt work out too much more.

Archived