Vehicles in MilSim events?

Tamberlin
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

I've been drooling over some of the Russian MilSims recently, particularly the video on RedwolfTV that showed the event that Tim attended.

In the video, there are a plethora of off-road vehicles, which I wasn't surprised at. But there were also a lot of tanks and military-duty armoured vehicles.

Has anyone ever attended a skirmish with tanks or helicopters or other military vehicles? What're your experiences? How would you get them for the skirmish, are they normally hired, or would you have to know someone? ;)

I am just intrigued that such beasts seem to be often obtainable for large MilSim events.

P.S Do you think any of the shots from the helicopters ever hit anyone? :D

The few times I've seen/heard of vehicles being used it's been private owners who lend them out (possibly rent them out). RIFT 'The Ridge' has a FV432, but during gameplay it's used as a static piece (probably a health and safety or insurance thing - they often charge for rides in it at the end of the day once the site is clear). Combat Elite has a Saracen which I believe is used occasionally for transporting people about, and I spoke to one of the organisers who mentioned plans to have vehicles as a sort of one-time-support option during games.

So I think it's a case of knowing someone who owns something and is willing to get their collection involved. Definitely something I look out for though, I'm a sucker for tanks and armored things. Also I'd travel a long way to have the chance to rain BBs on people from a chopper :P

The few times I've seen/heard of vehicles being used it's been private owners who lend them out (possibly rent them out). RIFT 'The Ridge' has a FV432, but during gameplay it's used as a static piece (probably a health and safety or insurance thing - they often charge for rides in it at the end of the day once the site is clear). Combat Elite has a Saracen which I believe is used occasionally for transporting people about, and I spoke to one of the organisers who mentioned plans to have vehicles as a sort of one-time-support option during games.

So I think it's a case of knowing someone who owns something and is willing to get their collection involved. Definitely something I look out for though, I'm a sucker for tanks and armored things. Also I'd travel a long way to have the chance to rain BBs on people from a chopper :P

The FV432 would be very fun, that's sort of what I expect to see at large scale MilSim events. The Saracen looks incredible, it's kind of the reason I want to be a support gunner :P

As far as I know, I think you can buy some sort of helicopter package, at least for some of the US games, which will let you fly up in one. I saw a guy with a stubby M4 and an EOTech shooting at people who looked like ants. What a waste! :D

Us Bolsheviks have a couple of members who occasionally bring their BDRM or BMP1s along.

We have vehicles at the Okto Eight Milsim games.

We have max 50 players so by no means large scale.

Last game we had 2 x WMIKs and a FFR Land Rover and an open top series three plus transits and 4x4s.

We have had a Russian GAZ in the past (now stripped for refurb) and we have a BRDM in the fold.

Helicopters are VERY expensive and UK health and safety kind of limits how they can be used in a game. Mainly limited to insertions and extracts in no firing zones.

We have vehicles at the Okto Eight Milsim games.

We have max 50 players so by no means large scale.

Last game we had 2 x WMIKs and a FFR Land Rover and an open top series three plus transits and 4x4s.

We have had a Russian GAZ in the past (now stripped for refurb) and we have a BRDM in the fold.

Helicopters are VERY expensive and UK health and safety kind of limits how they can be used in a game. Mainly limited to insertions and extracts in no firing zones.

That many vehicles for only 50 players?? Woah, that must've provided some very interesting gameplay! What's the etiquette for using a vehicle, by the way? Can you just hop in the back or start support gunning or is it normally more pre-determined than that?

Etiquette is each vehicle has a designated driver or commander and you just flag them down and ask for a lift depending in the vehicles role in the game. Some vehicles are combatants and some are just transport around the site.

Okto has its own Facebook page, Okto Eight Milsim.

Have a look at the photos from the last game.

The local had helicopters :D

https://youtu.be/mgKEYa1e9fg?t=3m53s

Dunno if Khatanga Conflict (The next big summer series,starts on the 20th) will feature helos.

Otherwise it's just hiluxes and players can bring their own vehicles. One particular example being an awd toyota previa with an MG mount

• Supporters

I have mixed feelings. Safety first so they should go very slow and the more armored it is, the less the drivers sees.

On one of my first night games the jeep with the mounted machine gun came to help us in the firefight, but I was laying on the ground and it came right towards me so I had to stand up and move and of course I got shot. Then it stopped behind us with lights on so the enemy could finally see us and we got wiped out.

On an other game the vehicle should have had the max speed of 5km/h (walking speed) so I drew my pistol and went to shoot the crew, but they sped up and I ended up running around it while it zigzagged between the players with the crew laughing. I was sad. :)

So much depends on the driver.

But a few times vans were used to transport my fireteam to distant locations on the field and that was cool, we could turn things around.

The heavy vehicles are mostly useless though. They are expensive and as a player you might sit on it once and that's it. They don't really change the battle. Using them as a static element is not any better than using a car or a tent. They can't roam around and "kill" everyone because of safety reasons.

4x4s and vans are useful.

I love Russian loadouts and The Bolsheviks look very, very, very cool :D

Join up then

Berget usually has insane amounts of vehicles, a good proportion of which are players own generic cars and vans, converted specifically for it :P

I've played 2 okto weekends & used vehicles both times. They have a max speed of 5mph. Crew hit they use a kill rag & when vehicle disabled, they use hazard lights.

I've taken control of the front seat gunner both times & been transported around, they don't mind doing it if you ask them or if they need the help.

As Baz JJ said above, they rent the vehicles & we had many riding around for coalition forces, rebel forces & UN vehicles each doing there own tasking by either the forces or by the organiser.

Andy at ucap Sandpit loves to wheel his array of vehicles out for special game days.

As n1ckh said the okto games have had plenty rocking about. They are good fun! Shooting a landrover full of rebles while they attempted a sneaky assualt on a village was one of the high lights of last game for me!

I love Russian loadouts and The Bolsheviks look very, very, very cool :D

Also part of Bolsh. At our next game we have loads of vehicles planned. Always private games twice a year we do. so the only way you can experience it is by joining.

Also part of Bolsh. At our next game we have loads of vehicles planned. Always private games twice a year we do. so the only way you can experience it is by joining.

I'd like to join, however I don't have a full Russian loadout and I'm also not over 18.

I'd like to join, however I don't have a full Russian loadout and I'm also not over 18.

How old are you? Yeah full Russian loadout is required. But its fairly easy to put together something basic. Let me know if you need any advice.

I must admit, those Bolshevik videos have piqued my interest (I've always been a fan of all things Russian). Are there special requirements to joining up? Other than Russian gear and attending the special events?

I must admit, those Bolshevik videos have piqued my interest (I've always been a fan of all things Russian). Are there special requirements to joining up? Other than Russian gear and attending the special events?

Not really. The main rule is attend at least 1 of our Bolsh bashes a year. We usually have 2 a year. Theres also plenty of other games we play but those arent essential. If you would like to join. Find us on facebook and request to join. You will be asked a few qualifying questions but its pretty straightforward.

• Supporters

The sandpit have a ton of stuff, 2 snatch landrovers, a WMIK, the DAF truck, a RM snow trac, the 432 and some wheeled APC thing I can't remember the name of. Oh and don't forget Dora the explorer and the Quads which are mostly used by the marshals. There are also people who bring along their own vehicles for Milsims, some have been heavily adapted. Like there is a camo 4x4 van thing with a turret type thing.

Rules for getting in the snatches is pretty easy, if you fits you sits. If you can get your hands on a M249 and want to be ragged about in the top cover for the snatches then go for it but honestly my back is still protesting about that one. Depending on how Andy is feeling and how the vehicles are behaving there is a pretty good chance they are out on normal skirmish Sundays.

The ribs belong to someone else (Stirling I think) who often use the pit for their Milsims, if they hang around for the Sat night and there is a Sunday skirmish they sometimes get them going then as well.

As far as I am aware the Helicopters that sometimes get used are always transport infil/extraction and there are really strict rules about not fireing from them or at them. It would be really easy for a stray bb to do damage and cause a crash so not quite the super exciting gun fest you are probably expecting.

Archived