Are .25 BBs too heavy for TM M9?

Petar
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hi guys,

I have 4000 .25 BBs from my WE M9,and since i ordered Tokyo Marui Samurai Edge M9 which has low FPS especially with duster gas.

I'm worried it will shoot bad,or even damage the gun.

Should i buy lighter BBs for my new M9?

• Supporters

It won't damage the gun, but it might not perform the best. Try it and see how you get on, if you don't get very good range then the hop may not be able to lift them with a very low FPS. Failing that, just try some 0.2s

• Root Admin

AFAIK the Samurai Edge M9 is the old fixed design, so it may not lift .25s without packing the bucking a little (which is tricky, because it's not a full sized VSR bucking like the newer TM pistols).

Almost all TM pistols shoot pretty low muzzle energies though. The newer ones are made to stand up to green gas, but the older stuff was only ever intended for the Japanese market where their muzzle energy limit is 1J, so they were made to shoot like that. It's the reason why TM have got so good at making hop units over the years.

It's more of a display gun than anything, but you might get it shooting well. As others have said, the .25s won't damage the gun, but they might drop off a bit early if the hop can't lift them (as it's fixed for .20s).

• Root Admin

I think the key variable here though is you're using a more powerful gas.

I could absolutely be talking out of my botty because I've not thought about this before nor researched it, but a BB travelling faster over the patch has to have had more backspin imparted on it? Could explain why yours is working better with a .25? I dunno.

If you're not getting enough hop, there's a mod you can do with a piece of plastic (like a small cutting from a drinking straw) which basically pads some more room between the arm that squeezes the hop rubber and the rubber itself. It really helped with my WE G19's, although I can't be sure the same mod is actually possible on a TM M9 as I've never got my hands on one for long enough to strip it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XAG36_7o18o

• Root Admin

That's for adjustable hop units though - the old Marui design uses a very simple fixed hop that's essentially just a small pad that protrudes into the barrel - there is no bucking in the usual sense.

There are ways to do it, but it's not easy :(

• Supporters

.25s should be fine, i've personally found using heavier BBs to be better. I currently run .28s in my G17 but that is upgraded throughout. When it was all standard i used .25s without any issues at all. If you can't get hop try a Maple Leaf I Key or F Key depending which style hop arm is in there, given it's a TM i would imagine you'd have the old style bigger arm so an I key would be perfect. I have an I key in mine and it's excellent. I've tried the plastic mod mentioned above but it didn't really make much of a difference I found.

• Root Admin

Guys guys guys. Please heed the fact that this is an old Marui design - the hop is fixed and is made for .25s. Any posts about the newer Glocks, Sigs, M9A1s etc. probably aren't helping OP because they all use VSR buckings rather than the fixed hop that doesn't use a bucking at all :)

I agree totally that most Marui pistols with a decent VSR bucking (Maple Leaf or Prometheus/Nineball/First Factory/LayLax purple) will lift up to a .30 with the right padding, but this is about getting range out of a fixed hop that uses no bucking.

Hey guys,thanks for info.

I forgot to mention that this is newer model and it has adjustable hop-up.

I'm not planning to go in skirimish with it,I will use it for shooting in my apartment from distance about 5 meters.

• Root Admin

If that's the case then switch the bucking to a Nineball/LayLax/Prometheus/First Factory (all the same brand) or Maple Leaf. The Maple Leaf Autobot buckins are better these days because Prometheus's QC has gone down the pan a bit lately and they're using old moulds.

If you're shooting indoors though then muzzle energy really won't matter at that range and nor will the hop. Don't worry about it shooting pretty low compared to WE - that's the case with all Marui pistols.

Archived