Teen carrying RIF nearly shot by armed police in Birmingham.

Tamberlin
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Idiot should have been shot, f******* twat.

Another fool endangering our sport.

• Root Admin

I put £5 on this being an air pistol/air gun and not a 'BB gun'. Say what you will about airsoft, but it's not easy to get an RIF online these days. Over the counter I've heard of it happening though, but getting an air pistol is 100x times easier than an RIF and both are more than real enough looking to warrant armed police rocking up.

I just wish the media would do a bit of digging or make a distinction between the two if possible, but in fairness that's perhaps a bit too much nuance for the casual reader so I 'unno.

• Supporters

Call

yoU

Next

Tuesday

doesn't even cover it - kudos to joe public being vigilant but ultimate bell-end of the year award goes to some lucky to be alive twat

FFS - see now THIS is why you have to be 18 to buy airsoft

jeez wouldn't be shocked to see them raise age limit to 21 or 25 or just ban everything including Nerf

Trying to be all Gangster but came across total w@nker

Yes - we have all done some not so wise things - but jeeez ffs think a bit & wtf just happened in the news and how rightfully society is on such high alert

Waaaaaaa! Our sport's in danger! They're watching us all the time!

That said, this morning in the news they said "German politicians are planning stricter gun laws in light of the recent shooting." This despite the fact that they guy illegally bought an illegal gun. Ok. I guess politics really doesn't have to make any sense.

• Root Admin

The Daily Mail constantly recycles or withholds particular bits of news until a time when it thinks a headline will grab more attention (in this case, the shooting in Munich). It's one of the reasons why one should always approach their articles extra carefully. They are the second best selling UK newspaper for some of the same reasons that The Sun is the best selling.

That said, in this case the article is also on Birmingham Mail's website yesterday, so perhaps it's possible they were waiting for the footage to be released or something: http://www.birminghammail.co.uk/news/midlands-news/watch-moment-16-year-old-11650630

• Supporters

Also (having now actually bothered to watch the link) why the hell is the Daily Mail reporting this now when the incident happened years ago?

In the wake of a series of terrorist attacks and the heightened atmosphere of alert in city centres, the shocking footage has been released by the police to highlight the increase in incidents of people carrying fake guns over the last three months.

During this period officers have been faced with 80 incidences of people carrying replica, ball bearing (BB) or air guns in public.

There is concern that this number could increase during the summer holidays.

According to the Birmingham Mail, Inspector Richard Webb, from the firearms unit, blamed the increased availability of the weapons online and a 'gaming culture' for the spike in recent fake firearm incidents.

He added, 'They could come face-to-face with armed police officers because that is how we respond to reports of a gun.'

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3705465/Shocking-CCTV-captures-moment-16-year-old-boy-carrying-toy-gun-nearly-SHOT-armed-police.html#ixzz4FPOtH514

Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

Because people are mostly stupid. Mostly.

Just a few months ago you had the government working group looking at firearm lethality talking to the police and finding that there were no reported injuries with airsoft rifles and that banning them or overly restricting their power would be disproportionate considering they cause no damage. Just a few months later those same police forces want to highlight the number of incidents? I smell something fishy, we have been lied to somewhere and when I weigh up a Daily Mail article against everything else I can be pretty certain its once again the news lying....sigh.

It never ends.

I got hit over the head with a shovel at a milsim yesterday (very very lightly and by a good friend who knew I wouldn't mind) - shovel kill !

Ban all shovels I say - they're deadly weapons.

Im searching for the phone number of the Daily Mail as I type.

• Supporters

Just a few months ago you had the government working group looking at firearm lethality talking to the police and finding that there were no reported injuries with airsoft rifles and that banning them or overly restricting their power would be disproportionate considering they cause no damage. Just a few months later those same police forces want to highlight the number of incidents? I smell something fishy, we have been lied to somewhere and when I weigh up a Daily Mail article against everything else I can be pretty certain its once again the news lying....sigh.

It never ends.

It's not about lethality or injuries, it's about dickheads carrying RIFs in public and nearly getting themselves shot.

It's not about lethality or injuries, it's about dickheads carrying RIFs in public and nearly getting themselves shot.

The point was the entire quote was there was no issue with airsoft weapons, the police were not requesting that they be banned, which was what the Green party member was wanting to happen as part of the adjustments to the firearm bill. It was a about 2 hour long working group discussion about lethality but the government minister said he had spoken to the police and they had no interest in restricting airsoft guns nor their power as they weren't a concern.

Sorry should have made that clear in my initial quote, I figured most people watched it since it was posted in this forum a few months ago or at the very least so the ensuing discussion. I assumed its my problem.

• Supporters

The point was the entire quote was there was no issue with airsoft weapons, the police were not requesting that they be banned, which was what the Green party member was wanting to happen as part of the adjustments to the firearm bill. It was a about 2 hour long working group discussion about lethality but the government minister said he had spoken to the police and they had in interest in restricting airsoft guns nor their power as they weren't a concern.

Sorry should have made that clear in my initial quote, I figured most people watched it since it was posted in this forum a few months ago or at the very least so the ensuing discussion. I assumed its my problem.

No, I get where you're coming from the point I was making was that the reason behind the video of two kids nearly getting themselves shot having resurfaced was that the Police are trying to raise awareness that if you carry a RIF in public you risk getting yourself double tapped in the chest rather than "airsoft is baaaaad, m'kay".

You're absolutely right that the working group discussion (I watched it too, the woman trying to say they were dangerous was laughable in her ignorance) decided that they're not a problem in terms if injury/lethality, but that wasn't why the article was being recycled.

No, I get where you're coming from the point I was making was that the reason behind the video of two kids nearly getting themselves shot having resurfaced was that the Police are trying to raise awareness that if you carry a RIF in public you risk getting yourself double tapped in the chest rather than "airsoft is baaaaad, m'kay".

You're absolutely right that the working group discussion (I watched it too, the woman trying to say they were dangerous was laughable in her ignorance) decided that they're not a problem in terms if injury/lethality, but that wasn't why the article was being recycled.

And yet she was part of this group and her voice was being heard at quite a high level.

This is indicative of many things and there is a wider, national discussion to be had here - Why are people such as her invited to participate on the media and other high profile forums when their ignorance and prejudice should disqualify them from even being considered in the first place? Indeed, laughed out of the door.

It erodes away at the truth because if a message is repeated enough, loudly enough it gains a certain amount of purchase: A lie will circle the globe before the truth has got it's boots on sort of thing, as some sections of the public will assume there's something in it and no smoke with out fire.

Not just airsoft, although it's a good example, but many subjects.

Holy Fucking Shit, This Kinda stuff is gonna ruin it for everyone and yeah your right its probably an air pistol not a RIF, is there any way we can do anything to help against these myopic morons?

• 2 weeks later...

How many of these incidents are caused by people with the cheap BB guns? you can get them off market stalls and those random tat shops at seaside areas far to easily still. I also saw a fair ground giving cheap BB guns away as prizes for a shooting game, I didn't see anyone producing any relevant proof of defence there ... so really the answer is to actualy enforce the Laws, online retailers and genuine airsoft shops have done a good job of it especially with ukara making it easy aswell. but now someone needs to be cracking down on the types who are selling to anyone and everyone without a care because they are just looking for a quick quid or 2 in there till and probably don't care what damage they are doing due to having nothing to do with the sport

Lol, according to the comments under the article. A BB gun is a lethal weapon.

They can be, point one at an Armed Policeman and you may well get shot!

Archived