best way of maintaining gas guns?

mimozine
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

i have had a few gas guns in my time, many many years ago now. fun till they start leaking/ being tempremantal.

anyway always said i wouldn't get another just stick to my aeg's, good old reliables. anyway i screwed that up and bought myself a ruddy gas gun. bah.

so can anyone give me some tips on what to do to keep it running well for a long as possible please, and what products they use to do so. its been so long since i used one i cant remember what i used to do.

Guest PT247

There are two schools of thought regarding leaving mags gassed or not. If you aren't inclined to strip the mags then leave them partially gassed with a gas containing silicon. If however you are happy to do a vit of maintenance and also if you use a gas that has no silicone (hpa tapped, propane or abby brut for example) then leaving them empty is a good option on condition that you regularly disassemble them and soak the o-rings in silicone, them being empty stops the pressure of the gas squashing the o-rings deforming them and shortening their life!

• Supporters

Silicone oil for seals and o-rings.

Silicone grease for plastic/plastic contact.

Proper lubricant for plastic/metal or metal/metal. Guarder MoS2 is good for this, or if you want to be fancy and smell minty, froglube.

PTFE grease for metal on metal (not for the bore, use silicone). Oil for bearings. Don't flood and maintain regularly.

For the barrel: Clean with isopropyl alcohol then a thin coat of silicone to stop BB residue sticking. Do not get silicone on your hop up rubber/bucking.

Ah, this post is convenient, for me. I just took the hop apart in my G17 to fix a problem with bbs not firing with a completely vertical backspin, and the hop unit was full of silicone oil. Is washing up liquid fine for cleaning the unit and the rubber?

• Root Admin

I wouldn't submerge the unit in any water because you're going to have to make sure it's really, really dry before putting it back, but you can clean the bucking with it. Don't use a scourer, obviously.

And buy some isopropyl alcohol!

I wouldn't submerge the unit in any water because you're going to have to make sure it's really, really dry before putting it back, but you can clean the bucking with it. Don't use a scourer, obviously.

And buy some isopropyl alcohol!

Bought some about 5 months ago. :)

Well, we've got a heatgun here, but probably better not getting it wetter than it needs to be. :)

• 9 months later...

I'm gonna bring this thread back from the dead, since my question fits:

I am exchanging the hammer spring in my TM G17. Since I will do this only once, hopefully :D I wanted to clean the whole gun while in the process.

For the "standard" maintenance of my G17, I use the Abbey 35 silicone gun oil and I am more than satisfied. But since the hammer is metal on metal I need some grease...did anyone of you ever use the Abbey LT2 grease for such purposes?

Archived