Best starter pistol

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hi all.

Looking to get a pistol and would like some advice, especially regarding brand/quality etc. Just looking for the best for the money really. Here's the few I'm looking at :

WE Sig P228 GBB Pistol.

KJW Sig P226 GBB Pistol GGB0307TM

Tokyo Marui FN Five-seveN Black GBB Pistol

WE Glock 19 Gen 4 GBB Pistol

Leaning towards the Sig p228, (Just like it the most) but I hear TM are a highly rated brand. Wondering how WE stack up. Know nothing about KJW. Price is not an issue as they all fall into the 90-110 sorta range.

Thanks.

TM Hi Capa all the way. I've heard that the Armorer Works' ones are pretty damn good, I have the TM one and out of the box it's a great gun. Don't let the fact it's plastic put you off either.

• Supporters

Out of that selection I'd say the TM FiveSeven all the way. Buddy had one and it was an absolute nail driver!

• Root Admin

TM Hi-Capa, TM Glock, TM M9, TM 5-7, TM P226: Basically anything TM that isn't the 1911 (poor gas capacity due to thin mags). Pistols are mostly for looks but the hop is what matters for range, and Marui beats basically everyone on that out of the box. Pick what you like the look of.

People really do like TM ^^. Will have a look at the Hi-Capa.

As I said in the OP I'm leaning toward the P228, but since TM is highly recommended, what's the differences between the WE P228 & TM P226? Can't really notice any.

And has anyone used WE? Thoughts on them?

• Root Admin

Honestly the WE P228 is pretty excellent. I don't rate most of their stuff but they seemed to get it right with the Sig series they made. The main difference would be the metal slide vs. a plastic one - WE is metal; TM plastic.

Honestly the WE P228 is pretty excellent. I don't rate most of their stuff but they seemed to get it right with the Sig series they made. The main difference would be the metal slide vs. a plastic one - WE is metal; TM plastic.

So if it were between those 2, go for the WE for the better materials/metal slide or the TM for overall "better recommended" brand?

• Supporters

So if it were between those 2, go for the WE for the better materials/metal slide or the TM for overall "better recommended" brand?

A little while back AI mag did a "staff guns" piece on editor Ben Webbs WE P226. He waxed lyrical about how it was just as good as any other gas pistol and that yes, the metal slide made it a bit rubbish in the winter compared to a TM but that the kick from the blow back made up for it. When I was looking at a P226 I asked him directly on FB (as we're friends on there) "Which one is best then, the WE or the TM?" and he said "TM, every time".

WE mags are notoriously leaky (if you go for a WE P226, get P226 E2 mags as they are allegedly a lot better). The TM will have better gas efficiency because of the plastic slide.

A little while back AI mag did a "staff guns" piece on editor Ben Webbs WE P226. He waxed lyrical about how it was just as good as any other gas pistol and that yes, the metal slide made it a bit rubbish in the winter compared to a TM but that the kick from the blow back made up for it. When I was looking at a P226 I asked him directly on FB (as we're friends on there) "Which one is best then, the WE or the TM?" and he said "TM, every time".

WE mags are notoriously leaky (if you go for a WE P226, get P226 E2 mags as they are allegedly a lot better). The TM will have better gas efficiency because of the plastic slide.

So sounds like the TM will be a little easier in the long run as well. Didn't know about gas efficiency either.

Thanks all. Will probably be a TM P226 then

• Supporters

Never had any issues with my we g18c (gen 4) or its mags (got them when gen 4 was first released)

Then again never had any issues with my tm pistols

I think it's more about how you treat them to be honest, plenty of lube and love lol

I have a TM P226 E2, TM M92F, TM Detonics and a TM M9A1.

The P226 E2 is incredibly 'snappy' - the recoil on green gas is something else. Good range too. It is fairly light without the magazine. However, when the mag is in, gassed and loaded, it feels very balanced.

The M9A1 is very heavy, feels almost like a real gun, in fact (I am was a pistol shooter pre-1997) and the recoil on gas is lovely, It is very, very proficient at tossing a BB very far when the HOP has been set.

The M92F is the old version with a set HOP. It is fairly light, but again, nicely balanced when fully loaded. It fires well and fairly far. I only use Abbey for this one.

The Detonics is an absolute riot to fire. It kicks and jumps like a mule and again, fires far.

I would recommend TM pistols whole heartily. Yes, they are plastic, but they will fire first time, every time if you look after them.

Archived