Sugru R Hop

Hef Legend
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Afternoon All,

Having read up on this Sugru stuff, which I oddly enough found while on a youtube binge of all things innovative and awesome, I stumbled across this stuff and how it can be used for airsoft. Someone had made a video stating this can be used to R hop barrels.......WIth that in mind and after lacking the patience to faff around with the patches, I thought I'd give it a go.

So far I've done 3, one on a ZCI barrel, one on a non bridged VSR barrel and another on a longer windowed Delta Strike barrel.

Took me about 5-10 minutes to get done, I personally used an unjamming rod wrapped in PTFE tape to plug the window, put a pea sized amount on, pushed it in and then rolled the barrel over greaseproof paper on a flat surface to ensure a good finish, I'll have to wait 24 hours before I can test it, but currently it's looking good.

*Apologies fot the dog hair, she's molting!

Rksucn0.jpg

rwnZdu2.jpg

lszwspt.jpg

• Supporters

Have you tried one of those pre R hopped Buckings you can buy from the States. I have one on my PDI barrel and it works an absolute treat.

Just looking now for the YouTube video for your above one looks good

• Root Admin

Sorry to be a downer, but they're awful - I've done a few; they wear extremely quickly and the Daytona group has tested them extensively too against Tygon, silicone and EPDM. You'll be lucky to get 3 months of good performance from them and be ready to adjust your hop constantly as the patch material is worn down. Fyi, the best way for applying them is to use a drill bit of around 5.7 to 5.9mm (depending on whether you want heavier weights to be used or not) as that'll provide a super clean surface if you wipe it off with some alcohol then jam it up in there.

To clarify, this is for the Sugru patches.

If you want real R-hop material then let me know and I'll send you some EPDM. There's still no quick and easy way to do proper R-hopping yet, but those 'fill the whole window' buckings do some pretty close in most applications.

Have you tried one of those pre R hopped Buckings you can buy from the States. I have one on my PDI barrel and it works an absolute treat.

Just looking now for the YouTube video for your above one looks good

If you mean the "Tru-hop" I did some for testing for them......it was shite, material came away and jammed both my guns, feedlips were too long and got chewed up too. I've spoken to them since and they'd changed the later version so I may give it another go.

The idea seemed great and the fitment was really good on the ZCI barrels.

• Supporters

They made a gen 2 now haven't they. I have a gen 1 and 2 for testing and both have been excellent haven't had a single problem yet bar that the gen1 was made thinner than a regular bucking so it left a bit of space in the hop

Archived