RiF UKARA -- Ruining my enjoyment

ik0uuu
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

A brief introduction -- My name is Drew and I've been airsofting for almost 2 years now at my local airsoft field by hiring kit. I'm sixteen, and the price of hiring gear is really starting to annoy me, considering I could've bought several of my own with the amount I've spent on hiring. The problem? I'm sixteen. Unfortunately, after being introduced to airsoft by my stepfather who quit the sport when UKARA came into existence, I've developed a real love for the sport. However, he doesn't have any plans to return. Due to the fact that a large part of the fun in airsoft to me is the immersion, two tones really aren't appealing to me. I'm at a loss as to how I might be able to get my hands on my own rifles, mainly due to the fact that my stepfather doesn't plan to come back to the sport, meaning he can't purchase one to gift to me as he isn't registered with UKARA. Any suggestions?

At first this was just an itch. Now it's really starting to annoy me, and it's actually detracting from the enjoyment of the sport I've come to love over the last few years.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Supporters

Technically you can't even buy a 2-tone

it is 18 for a reason, like many things I'm afraid

age of consent is 16 and start a family - yet can't watch an adult movie until 18

I don't make the rules but I'm afraid we have to abide by them wise or daft

It ain't hard to get an adult to purchase a 2-tone and do your own "custom" work

not promoting anything but often is how many roll I tend to hear

soz but that is the way it goes

Changing a two tone to an RIF, is "technically" manufacturing a RIF I think....which is a no no.

Cropzy, thanks for your post - it really wasn't very constructive. Why should I wait until I'm eighteen when it's perfectly legal for me to own one if it's been gifted to me? I suppose you wouldn't know how annoying it is to have spent over £600 hiring kit simply because I'm not allowed to buy one.

We don't get to make the law unfortunately, the government does that that and in this regard they have caused quite a bit of damage to young people entering into the sport. But the law is the law unfortunately.

You are going to get questioned on sites if you turn up with a RIF because the likelihood you got one a legal way is vanishingly small unless your parent is right there playing with you but two tones are relatively common for youngsters. You really have to convince your parents to help you out and if they aren't willing to then you have no legal options.

• Head Moderator

Why should I wait until I'm eighteen when it's perfectly legal for me to own one if it's been gifted to me? I suppose you wouldn't know how annoying it is to have spent over £600 hiring kit simply because I'm not allowed to buy one.

It is quite simple, you are under 18 and by law not allowed to buy a two-tone or realistic gun. Regardless of however annoying it may be to you that aspect of the law is unlikely to change, and like everyone else you will have to wait until you are entitled to buy the gun you want. Few are lucky enough to have a fairy-godmother to gift them a RIF but some can ask parents to gift a two-tone (no UKARA required). At least using two-tone would be a more cost effective method of playing if you can get over the colour; use camo tape for the skirmishes. In the meantime, save the hire cost for the 2 years until you are old enough to get a defence.

• Supporters

Whilst we can't be seen to promote removing the paint it can "wear off"

but is still very questionable - bordering unlawful

I would like to point out that often hire guns may have some markings on them and their mags to identify them

and stop people swapping out a f*cked mag in a hire gun which has been attempted on rare occasions

Finally if you spent £600 hiring and NOW start to raise the question/option of your own RIF/IF

Would of thought your step father or any responsible adult could of purchased a 2-tone 18 months ago

(with parents consent of course)

Which by now the paint would of been wearing a "little thin" to say the least

I mean you could of bought 2 or 3 starters with chargers n stuff

well at least 2 good ones and a modest sidearm too plus loads of ammo blah blah blah

So really the biggest kicker here is you taking 2yrs or so to arrive at this conclusion

• Supporters

Some sites did run a scheme whereby you could buy a rif minus £1, they would hold onto the gun inbetween games, until you was old enough and/or had a defence, then you paid the £1 and it was all your etc.

I'd love to buy second hand - but nobody seems to sell without a valid UKARA registration on these forums, or other forums. If anyone knows of anyone looking to part with a Krytac Trident CRB I'd be glad to purchase it from them for more than it's worth second hand.

Buy second hand, you won't be breaking a law.

In addition to my above post, the seller technically isn't breaking the law either - I have valid defence... I AM an airsofter - UKARA is only ONE form of defence. With this in mind I'd even be willing to have something set up with a seller here for them to buy a new Krytac Trident CRB with the intention of selling it to my guardian who can gift it to me - perfectly legal. I'm also sure that my guardian would be happy to pay slightly more than you did originally, all things considered.

• Supporters

In addition to my above post, the seller technically isn't breaking the law either - I have valid defence... I AM an airsofter - UKARA is only ONE form of defence. With this in mind I'd even be willing to have something set up with a seller here for them to buy a new Krytac Trident CRB with the intention of selling it to my guardian who can gift it to me - perfectly legal. I'm also sure that my guardian would be happy to pay slightly more than you did originally, all things considered.

The seller would be breaking the law because you are under 18 so you cannot legally buy any airsoft gun. Also until you are 18 you cannot have a legal defence so you are wrong on that point.

They would also be breaking the law if they sold to your guardian as they do not have a defence either.

While it is not illegal for you to own an airsoft gun it is contrary to what many believe illegal for you to attempt to buy one under 18.

In your above post you are attempting to obtain an airsoft gun by fraudulent means and offering a cash incentive to anyone willing to help you to commit a crime. That in itself is a crime already.

I did feel sorry for you until that point but that sympathy has been totally destroyed. Your own immaturity has shown why you must be 18 as by then hopefully most people have grown up. I sincerely hope that you give up this game before you turn 18 as you personally show the sort of character we don't need in airsoft or owning airsoft weapons.

Time for you to go away I think

• Head Moderator

I'd love to buy second hand - but nobody seems to sell without a valid UKARA registration on these forums, or other forums. If anyone knows of anyone looking to part with a Krytac Trident CRB I'd be glad to purchase it from them for more than it's worth second hand.

Because selling to you would break the law. We want to keep this hobby / sport within the VCRA rules and not damage it for everyone. UKARA has meant there is a mechanism to moderate sales of RIFs and has probably helped prevent the use of airsoft guns being banned and ruining everyones enjoyment.

You do not have a valid defence because you are under 18. When you are an adult you can get site membership and retailers will sell to you. You have already stated that your guardian does not play airsoft, so similarly does not have a defence to buy a RIF. This is not the forum to try and obtain an airsoft gun illegally, or find loopholes to obtain one.

• Mostly Retired Moderators

ik0uuuu, you should give GearTech a message.

He does amazing paint jobs for Airsoft guns, and he also does brilliant "Alternative" Two-tones.

Plus, he could probably knock up something like a cool Red & Black Digital Camo type of paint job if that would help..

The best thing is, his work is really affordable.

He's got a thread here:

http://www.airsoft-forums.co.uk/index.php/topic/30118-custom-paint-work/

And you can see the rest of his work here:

http://www.geartechcustompaint.com/

And he's very responsive to PMs, and friendly, so give him a shout.

Check out these guns! They're awesome! (Sorry for stretching the page guys...)

wasp1.jpg

Specna-Boba-fettt.jpg

Asimov-M4-6.jpg

• Mostly Retired Moderators

I have read the thread.

I was just trying to point him away from trying to get a RIF illegally by showing him that a gun doesn't have to be boring just because it's a Two-tone.

His stepdad could easily buy a two-tone from GearTech, painted like something out of Call of Duty, or Battlefield and it could be a cool one at that.

I also posted it because it might just help someone else who stumbles across it, looking for a two tone gun.

The fewer people buying two tone guns and modifying them into RIFs, the better, no?

Apologies however, I won't do it again.

• Head Moderator

Is white a two tone color or not?

From another thread. http://www.airsoft-forums.co.uk/index.php/topic/31703-best-two-tone/?hl=tone

• transparent
  • bright red
  • bright orange
  • bright blue
  • bright yellow
  • bright green
  • bright pink
  • bright purple

White is not on the list of two-tone options (white can be considered realistic due to snow camouflage)

Pretty sure you misunderstood me ImTriggerHappy, and turning me away from the sport because you mis-understood? Right.. okay - I think you're more of the type of player that we don't need in airsoft - rude. I'm not even going to try to explain what I was saying - what you said wasn't what I was getting at.

Archived