Help with first AEG

Sev
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hi all. This is my first post here and sorry it's a long one!

I am about to acquire my UKARA and looking to buy my first AEG. I am looking to spend £300-£350 and I'm looking for a solid platform that can adapt with me as I continue to get obsessed with the sport. I want something solid and reliable that will require minimal upgrades to perform well and shoot under but as close to 350fps. I have narrowed my choice to two weapons but there are pros and cons to each.

****G&G Advanced (Top Tech) TR4-18 Gen3****

This gun has everything I'm looking for to be honest and it's perfect. Yes, it would be nice to have better trades like the VFC or TM but the internals sound much more superior, which is more important for me. Here are the good and bads:

PROS

* Full picatinny rail on top, sides and underneath so easy to fit attachments

* Apparently a quality hop up

* Pneumatic blowback looks and sounds good

* Stock iron sights good

* Really nice grip

* Feels nice and weighty (albeit a little nose-heavy)

* Fantastic trigger response and ROF

* Support of my local shop who LOVE G&G

* Prefer the HK416 look

CONS

* Mosfets aren't best quality and can heat up and/or burn out

* Gearboxes can crack

* Blowback can pack up and makes upgrades/repairs a pain

* (big issue) M4 mag compatibility problems

****Krytac Trident CRB****

I looked at this gun before I was turned towards the 418. This gun would also be a fantastic option and whilst I may prefer the look and feel of the 418 this is also a fantastic looking weapon.

PROS

* Keymod rail system looks awesome and different

* Numbered hop up for easy adjustment

* Better compatibility with most M4 mags

* Ambidextrous fire selector

* Internals sound a little better than the 418 maybe? (Reinforced gearbox etc)

CONS

* Some units had badly milled barrels or issues with accuracy

* Short stock spring (so I've read) and lower FPS out of the box

* Keymod rail requires rail sections to be purchased extra

* My local shop won't have the same tech support with this gun

Please correct me if any of the above is incorrect. My local Airsoft shop is really pro G&G and this is both good and bad. I have been able to get a good hands-on with the 418 and I will have the support right there should anything go wrong. The downside is that should I opt for the Krytac, which they do not stock so I would have to buy elsewhere, I won't have that same level of support at all. It also means I can't try the Krytac and would have to buy that trusting in its reputation and hope that I don't get a lemon!

If any of you guys can offer any help, advice or experiences of either guns then I would be really grateful. I'm sorry for the super long post but I feel I need to turn to the community to help me with my first AEG purchase! Thanks!

• Supporters

Forget ASG so quickly? :)

Nope the Scorpion is great and definitely in my top 5, I have just bought one thats going to a friend as his first gun.

Its just as much as I like it I am not blind to the fact that there is better.

I am not a TM recoil owner I do not has a pair of rose coloured glasses I judge purely on merit.

Who is your local shop?

Zero One Airsoft (Bournemouth)

As a TM owner, out the box the recoil series are epic

I'd love you grab one but I need to stick to a budget. I also have to buy mags, batteries, charger and sling :)

I must admit I am tempted with the Krytac but would really like to get my hands on one to try it out.

Nope the Scorpion is great and definitely in my top 5, I have just bought one thats going to a friend as his first gun.

Its just as much as I like it I am not blind to the fact that there is better.

I am not a TM recoil owner I do not has a pair of rose coloured glasses I judge purely on merit.

I'm in the market for a new good (outdoor), but so torn by the choices, VFC M27 is leading atm, but its so expensive (especially so if I replace the internals).

• Supporters

Rose coloured glasses.

You can get so many guns that will out perform them for less money.

Build quality = Real Sword

Best trigger response = Scorpion Evo

Best quality internals = Krytac

Best feeling recoil = RM4 (Bolt is heavier but rest of gun is crap)

Best all round in order

Real sword

Krytac

Scorpion

Tm recoil 416/scar

Rm4

Most expensive = TM recoil.

Love TM recoils but epic? No not anymore.

Rose coloured glasses.

You can get so many guns that will out perform them for less money.

Build quality = Real Sword

Best trigger response = Scorpion Evo

Best quality internals = Krytac

Best feeling recoil = RM4 (Bolt is heavier but rest of gun is crap)

Best all round in order

Real sword

Krytac

Scorpion

Tm recoil 416/scar

Rm4

Most expensive = TM recoil.

Love TM recoils but epic? No not anymore.

I wasn't stating they are the be all and end all, just that out the box their performance is damn good. Granted they are more expensive, but you're paying for the recoil, empty mag cut off etc. Build wise they don't use the greatest materials. However they do last, they shoot very well and require little upgrades.

I've owned most brands, including Krytacs and the ERG RM4. The ERG's recoil was great but performance wasn't for the price. Krytacs are great for the price, that's pretty much a given and most would agree. However considering a Sopmod new can be had not far off the price of a Krytac, the only actual thing I've found my Krytac does better than my recoil is trigger response and ROF. even at 50 fps less my TM outranges the Krytac CRB I had, was more consistent too.

Anyways, each guns has it's own merrits, just depends on what you want out of it.

I have both rifles.

I like the blowback on the 416; it sounds a lot better. However, with optics etc, it feels much heavier than the CRB and its fussier with mags.

The CRB is more compact, lighter, but the hop is easier to adjust. I can use my beloved PMAGs on the CRB. Mine came with a lower powered spring so the FPS is lower than tne 416 on a stock basis.

I prefer the buttstock on the CRB but it comes with a black plastic flash hider which had to be removed to expose the thread for suppressors etc (I had a new metal flash hider fitted as I wanted a shorter rifle).

Hi all. This is my first post here and sorry it's a long one!

I am about to acquire my UKARA and looking to buy my first AEG. I am looking to spend £300-£350 and I'm looking for a solid platform that can adapt with me as I continue to get obsessed with the sport. I want something solid and reliable that will require minimal upgrades to perform well and shoot under but as close to 350fps. I have narrowed my choice to two weapons but there are pros and cons to each.

****G&G Advanced (Top Tech) TR4-18 Gen3****

This gun has everything I'm looking for to be honest and it's perfect. Yes, it would be nice to have better trades like the VFC or TM but the internals sound much more superior, which is more important for me. Here are the good and bads:

PROS

* Full picatinny rail on top, sides and underneath so easy to fit attachments

* Apparently a quality hop up

* Pneumatic blowback looks and sounds good

* Stock iron sights good

* Really nice grip

* Feels nice and weighty (albeit a little nose-heavy)

* Fantastic trigger response and ROF

* Support of my local shop who LOVE G&G

* Prefer the HK416 look

CONS

* Mosfets aren't best quality and can heat up and/or burn out

* Gearboxes can crack

* Blowback can pack up and makes upgrades/repairs a pain

* (big issue) M4 mag compatibility problems

****Krytac Trident CRB****

I looked at this gun before I was turned towards the 418. This gun would also be a fantastic option and whilst I may prefer the look and feel of the 418 this is also a fantastic looking weapon.

PROS

* Keymod rail system looks awesome and different

* Numbered hop up for easy adjustment

* Better compatibility with most M4 mags

* Ambidextrous fire selector

* Internals sound a little better than the 418 maybe? (Reinforced gearbox etc)

CONS

* Some units had badly milled barrels or issues with accuracy

* Short stock spring (so I've read) and lower FPS out of the box

* Keymod rail requires rail sections to be purchased extra

* My local shop won't have the same tech support with this gun

Please correct me if any of the above is incorrect. My local Airsoft shop is really pro G&G and this is both good and bad. I have been able to get a good hands-on with the 418 and I will have the support right there should anything go wrong. The downside is that should I opt for the Krytac, which they do not stock so I would have to buy elsewhere, I won't have that same level of support at all. It also means I can't try the Krytac and would have to buy that trusting in its reputation and hope that I don't get a lemon!

If any of you guys can offer any help, advice or experiences of either guns then I would be really grateful. I'm sorry for the super long post but I feel I need to turn to the community to help me with my first AEG purchase! Thanks!

post-7324-0-62886500-1467566908_thumb.jpegpost-7324-0-76650200-1467567019_thumb.jpeg

I have both rifles.

I like the blowback on the 416; it sounds a lot better. However, with optics etc, it feels much heavier than the CRB and its fussier with mags.

The CRB is more compact, lighter, but the hop is easier to adjust. I can use my beloved PMAGs on the CRB. Mine came with a lower powered spring so the FPS is lower than tne 416 on a stock basis.

I prefer the buttstock on the CRB but it comes with a black plastic flash hider which had to be removed to expose the thread for suppressors etc (I had a new metal flash hider fitted as I wanted a shorter rifle).

image.jpeg image.jpeg

Thanks for the reply. Did you find the 416 reliable enough? Did you manage to find decent-feeding midcaps or have to modify the magwell? The fact I don't have a shop locally stocking the CRB is an issue for me otherwise I would probably opt for that. Did you replace the stock spring yourself, and what did you use?

Never had any problems with my gen 2 416 although I've heard a lot of horror stories. Midcaps are a problem but i dont tend to use the 416 for milsims where I need to use them - the CRB meets this need. I just use it with the stock spring which gives me about 310fps.

I wouldnt get too hung up on suppliers.

I bought both my rifles from Pro Airsoft Supplies (at different times).

I'd go for the Krytac.

I have had my Krytac LVOA for a few months now and it has performed superbly.

I got it from Pro Airsoft Supplies and got good service from them.

I have upgraded the spring to an M100. The original came with an M90? and although it performed really well and chrono'd at 310, I wanted a bit more range. With the M100 it chrono'd in the 340's and the range and accuracy is impressive.

As for build, well it is more solid than some of the real firearms I have handled and has survived falls, bumps and drops with no damage and minimal marks.

I am so chuffed with it that i'm saving for the PDW and maybe the DMR when they release it.

CBH

Another aside is that I've found the keymod is a lot smoother to handle generally than the conventional rails which can be a bit uncomfortable to handle.

The Krytac SPR is probably a closer equivalent size-wise to the G&G 416.

Thanks for the reply. Did you find the 416 reliable enough? Did you manage to find decent-feeding midcaps or have to modify the magwell? The fact I don't have a shop locally stocking the CRB is an issue for me otherwise I would probably opt for that. Did you replace the stock spring yourself, and what did you use?

I'd go for the Krytac.

I have upgraded the spring to an M100. The original came with an M90? and although it performed really well and chrono'd at 310, I wanted a bit more range. With the M100 it chrono'd in the 340's and the range and accuracy is impressive.

As for build, well it is more solid than some of the real firearms I have handled and has survived falls, bumps and drops with no damage and minimal marks.

I am so chuffed with it that i'm saving for the PDW and maybe the DMR when they release it.

CBH

Thanks. Pretty set on the Krytac now I think. I just need to find one! Did Pro Airsoft Supplies fit the spring for you or did you do that yourself?

Another aside is that I've found the keymod is a lot smoother to handle generally than the conventional rails which can be a bit uncomfortable to handle.

The Krytac SPR is probably a closer equivalent size-wise to the G&G 416.

I was after the Tr4-18 Light so the CRB may be closer in length. That said, I'm mainly playing woodland stuff atm so the SPR wouldn't be a bad choice. Seeing as I can't afford a second gun for a while I may opt for the CRB to be a little more versatile, though.

What midcaps would you guys recommend for it?

The CRB is a good all rounder. There is no perceivable benefit in a longer barrel in airsoft and rhe CRB is a good medium length when extended out (I have the stock on almost the maximum number) but at the same time I now have a tactical light and laser on it for milsim FIBUA.

It comes with a high cap which my earlier photo shows but I actually use mid caps only.

Ive got BAMF and PTS EPM which are more realistic.

I'd go for the Krytac.

CBH

What would a M110 chrono at roughly? 380 ish? Looking to upgrade my spring on my SPR, is it a simple enough job to swap out?

Also, how high can you go spring wise before the springs too powerful for this gun?

Thanks. Pretty set on the Krytac now I think. I just need to find one! Did Pro Airsoft Supplies fit the spring for you or did you do that yourself?

I was after the Tr4-18 Light so the CRB may be closer in length. That said, I'm mainly playing woodland stuff atm so the SPR wouldn't be a bad choice. Seeing as I can't afford a second gun for a while I may opt for the CRB to be a little more versatile, though.

What midcaps would you guys recommend for it?

Did it my self. Not too difficult.

This is a more up to date shot of my Krytac CRB with PTS EPM mags on.

post-7324-0-25420600-1467653399_thumb.jpg

This is a more up to date shot of my Krytac CRB with PTS EPM mags on.

CRB PTS.jpg

That is a lush weapon! I've just purchased a CRB from Pro Airsoft Supplies. Managed to get their last model in my preferred FDE. The guys there were super-helpful and took the time to answer all questions I had. They are also going to swap in a spring and get it firing as close to 350fps as possible before they ship it to me. I am seriously looking forward to getting my hands on it!

They recommended Ares Ameoba midcaps, which were a decent enough price for a box of 5. Got those for now but will definitely look for PTS EPMs as they spring up!

Thanks for all your help guys!

If you ask them they will take off the US plastic flash hider that is glued on. I preferred them to do it in case I damaged anything trying to get it off.

That is a lush weapon! I've just purchased a CRB from Pro Airsoft Supplies. Managed to get their last model in my preferred FDE. The guys there were super-helpful and took the time to answer all questions I had. They are also going to swap in a spring and get it firing as close to 350fps as possible before they ship it to me. I am seriously looking forward to getting my hands on it!

They recommended Ares Ameoba midcaps, which were a decent enough price for a box of 5. Got those for now but will definitely look for PTS EPMs as they spring up!

You wont be disappointed.

Archived