TM VSR G-Spec

Shaddow
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

So, I recently managed to get my hands on a 2nd hand TM VSR G-Spec completely stock.

Doing some shooting in my back garden, I noticed the bb velocity seemed quite low. Speed was slow by the time it hit my target at the far side of the garden. (Around 20 meters).

I plan on upgrading trigger etc with laylax parts, but until I can save up a bit more money, I want to upgrade a few parts to possibly allow me to use the VSR in a game and be able to out-range AEG's. (Doubt it will at the moment).

I've not stripped it yet, and plan to do so tomorrow and give it a good clean / oil all over.

Can anyone recommend what the limit of upgrades would be (Spring power wise) using stock internals? I have seen some comments about trigger box cracking if spring power goes too high.

Or possibly just upgrading the sears, (hop rubber?) and spring? Again, what power can I take the spring up to with uprated sears?

I don't want to spend £100 on basic upgrades only to spend more on trigger etc.. upgrades in a few months time.

Any advice on low cost basic upgrades? (£30-£50)

I know spring power is not everything, and there are many other factors that will affect performance, but most of those cost quite a bit more than what I can afford. Looking to try and get a better velocity and range from basic upgrades.

Thanks

• Root Admin

The TM VSR is basically the most upgraded of all the BASRs in airsoft. Please use the search and also check out http://www.airsoftsniperforum.com/41-vsr-rifles - you'll find all the answers that you want.

In my opinion: Buy a new hop up chamber and make some barrel spacers or just leave it stock for now. Check compression in the cylinder - disassemble, relube the piston and guide rod, then put PTFE on the piston head threads (assuming you're able to unscrew the piston head as most TM ones are pinned). Clean the barrel and hop rubber with isopropyl alcohol to get rid of any dirt and grease, then use PTFE to seal the bucking to the barrel (just give it 5-10 wraps around where the bucking meets the barrel).

You need to give it a good clean and relube before doing anything though.

Don't touch the spring as you'll ruin your sears.

Thanks.

Ive read many a thread on the upgrades and know that almost every part of the VSR is upgradable. Unfortunately most of the higher spec stuff comes with a price.

Ive considered upgrading just the sears and spring as I understand the sears will break if just the spring is upgraded.

ASPUK sell the SHS Sears for £35, so could couple this with a spring upgrade. But then interested in knowing what is a suitable spring upgrade not to damage the trigger box (Which will be the next weak link in the chain).

I will be doing all the things you mentioned above. Having 5L of isopropyl delivered today, so plenty of cleaning fluid as well as pure silicone spray lube.

• Root Admin

Sniper rifles are not cheap. Skimp and you will end up outranged by AEGs.

Check compression and the other things before considering a new spring. You need a new guide rod and cylinder for most spring changes anyway.

• Supporters

I purchased a JG BAR 10 G-Spec because I couldn’t get my hands of a TM G-Spec and typically the day after I purchased it Wolf Armouries got them back in stock, I had a TM G-spec about 3 months ago and sold it all on because I’d only used it a hand full of times. I’m putting an SDIK kit into my BAR 10 now and I’m looking at upgrading the hop chamber, barrel, bucking and add some spacers in there as well.

I was thinking about maybe getting an ASPUK trigger unit but given I’ve got the SDIK kit for a 45 degree trigger I’m unsure if upgraded trigger units are the same.

Guest PT247

You'll not be able to just upgrade the sears and spring as the cylinder on the TM VSR is sealed. To change just the spring you'll need a new cylinder, cylinder head, spring guide, piston and then the upgraded spring. If you plan on upgrading to a zero trigger in the future then it would be a total waste of money buying a 45' piston and sear set.... As Prof stated.... PTFE tape the bucking and sort the hop if money is tight... Action Army hop chamber is fantastic and good value too.

I actually upgraded my VSR completely before even contemplating upping the spring to an M150 and skirmished it successfully at 320fps with no MED for quite a few games. I'd not go back to that velocity now I am used to just shy of 500fps mind! lol :D

Sealed cylinder should not be an issue. Seen plenty of guides how to drill out the lock pin.

Just grab my dremmel and make a few careful cuts.

Will have a look at the AA Hop.

Archived