Best goggles for not fogging

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hi, so this is, as i've found, a massive problem and that is goggles fogging up.

I was curious as to you guys (the experienced players) opinions on what is a good pair of goggles that in your experience don't fog or have minimal fog. I have seen ones with fans but have been told that they still fog and are just a gimmick.

Any suggestions would be great guys and gals

From Brad

• Supporters

Fan goggles are absolutely not a gimmick, they definitely work.

ESS Profile turbofans or smith optics turbo fan goggles are my recommendations, I have a pair of ESS ones and the combination of the fan and the anti fog coating on the inside of the lens means i have never fogged while wearing them.

• Head Moderator
  • Supporters

As a man that sweats like a paedophile in Mothercare, I can wholeheartedly endorse the ESS Profile Turbofan goggles. The only time I had them fog a bit was on a warm, damp day when I hadn't bothered to clean them in the afternoon from a mornings play. Then they fogged a bit at the top in the middle but that's all.

Before venturing in buying the so called "fog free" eyeware protection take in consideration your type of gameplay and what actually causes fogging. Having extra layers of clothes, extra equipment, helmet, balaclava, etc. will result in excessive heating leading to fogging. Being tacticool has its ups and downs. Look into full faced masks aswell, I personally use a Dye I4 and didn't experience fogging yet.

• Moderators

I have revision desert locust fans, thermal lens and anti fog wipes, where as no fogging or as much as I used to get, I still get droplets running down, but can live with that. Mentioned before that I was told you still need to move for 'air flow ' I may also remove foam from them

After some ESS Ones as well.... Once saved 🙂

• Supporters

i never play at night, so wouldnt know :P

Doesn't work well in dark CQB sites either....

Revision Bullet Ant work well for me (with the foam dust catchers inside ripped out). They've only fogged on muggy evenings when I've camped somewhere. Fine 98% of the time though...

A friend has a modified paintball mask with fans on. Works very well!

• Moderators

All my eye pro fogs up from time to time, from ants to sawflies to fan goggles (a little ) as Ian at tactical kit told me, it's about air flow and as others said, what you wear around your face/neck/head is also a factor when dispersing heat.... Everyone is different 🙂

• Mostly Retired Moderators

I've just plumped for a pair of these from Fire-Support:

FMA-TB1029-BK.jpgFMA-TB1029-BKa.jpg

http://www.fire-support.co.uk/product/fma-regulator-goggle-updated-version-with-fan-black - £29.00

I watched a few videos of them, they look..... ok?

While I'm dead sure they'll be nowhere as good as the ESS Turbofans, I'm sure any help to ditch fog is better than none. I'll report back once I've tried them out for a game.

If they are absolute rubbish I'll try the open rimmed Bolle X800s.

And if all else fails - Time to be a big brave boy and try contact lenses so I can wear shooting glasses instead.

From my experience so far, if you sweat allot.. Your pissin in the wind.

Im a slim guy but sweat like a trooper, I got a set of Revision desert locust fan goggles, and if im sitting still too long.. They steam up. Hopeless from then onward.

My biggest issue is i wont play without a mesh lower cover, it seems to trap all the hot air and thus rises into the goggles.

• Supporters

Th eone thing to bear in mind is that whatever you use, keeping them spotless on the inside will reduce the likelihood of fogging.

i have ess v12, they have a ventilation port (you can flip the side out to let in more air while still protected) they don't fog too much, from my short usage thus far....would recommend but they are an outdated option.

an important factor you haven't mentioned is, what exactly is sorrowing your goggles? i find thats more important than the goggles them self eg: wearing a cap or helmet and a lower mask increases the amount of fogging due to reduced airflow. maybe try your goggled without those and see the difference

• Moderators

Carefull with the FMA giggles, the lens will mark and 'dent' check out a video by a French guy in Airsoftpeak

I posted it up before on here, just use search function, it may show up

Let me know how you get on anyway as I can't get ESS or locusts in tan so this was a cheap option

I think you can fit ESS or smiths lens but they need modification

Revision Bullet Ants work well for me especially with the Prescription insert. A good anti fog cleaner keeps fogging to a minimal and all the foam has been removed to help with the airflow. Taking the insert in and out for cleaning is a little bit of a pain but that's my only gripe about them.

• Mostly Retired Moderators

Carefull with the FMA giggles, the lens will mark and 'dent' check out a video by a French guy in Airsoftpeak

I posted it up before on here, just use search function, it may show up

Let me know how you get on anyway as I can't get ESS or locusts in tan so this was a cheap option

I think you can fit ESS or smiths lens but they need modification

Yeah, I did see that video.

It did make me wonder about them, but the guy had a 400fps rifle with his flash hider right up against the lens, so I would say that would only be extremely rare circumstances.

I'm hoping 350fps from 15ft away should perform better.

A fella called Airsoft mike did another video with a Glock 18 from 6ft and they performed much better. I'll report back anyway, I'll give them a test in the garden before taking them out for a game.

Otherwise I'll go straight to the Bolles.

• Supporters

I'd place absolutely no trust whatsoever in the lens those goggles come with.

Produced at minimum cost in a chinese factory with next to no QC. The reason ESS/Smith/Revision/etc goggles (lenses really) cost a lot of money is because they rigorously test EVERY batch to make sure they do what they need to do. They then stamp those lenses with the rating they've tested them for and ensure 100% that your goggles will stand up to the abuse you expect. If they don't, you can sue the manufacturer.

FMA... not so much. If you consider the cost of the frame, strap, fan, wiring etc... then factor in the Fire-support markup, VAT, shipping cost from china etc I'd be amazed if that lens cost any more than £1. Would you trust your eyes to a £1 lens?

• 3 weeks later...

Coming from paintball scene, most goggles mist or fog up. Look for ones with a thermal lens they tend to fog up less quickly than other lens. I have used a motorcycle visor demisting solution on most of the goggles i have used, with the exception of gloop all seem to work ok.

I have used JT, Scott, Empire goggles.

not having used fan assisted goggle i can comment on them.

I've been using mesh for years now. Don't think I'd ever go back to regular lenses. I've tried loads of goggles including ESS turbofans, and although good, when you add, face protection, helmet and playing indoors, they will still fog in my experience.

I mostly play cqb and often at night, mesh is the equivalent of slightly tinted lenses. I've not had a problem using mesh at night, neither inside or outside, as mentioned, you don't notice it after a few minutes.

Although I use mesh, I still buy decent goggles, ESS, Revision, Arena etc. and then have had mesh installed by 'Bitter End Goggles' (he's in the US, ex matelot, great guy http://bitterendgoggles.com/), or Heroshark (based in the UK, has a facebook page http://heroshark.co.uk/). My goggles have taken plenty of hits, and there's not been any dents or anything untoward occur.

There's no way I'd ever use any other mesh goggle products, even the ones I see for sale in the UK are too cheap, both looking and monetarily, for me to trust my eyesight to.

Archived