Battery Spec.....How important is Discharge rate?

Shaddow
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Morning All,

I recently bought a battery from a local airsoft show for my Ares Amoeba AM-013 (Honey Badger).

The battery is a VP Airsoft 7.4V 1300mAh 30C+

Wanting to get a second battery, I thought id see what else is about and look more into the spec.

On the Ares website it states the following:

"Our improved 3rd Gen Electronic Firing Control System (EFCS) can withstand around 30A firing current..."

Is this the same as the battery discharge?

The current battery seems to work fine, but not been out full day skirmish, so only had limited use.

The battery itself has the following spec:

Max Discharge Current 39A (30C Continuous)

78A (60C Burst)

I don't want to risk burning out any contacts through high current, or will the weapon only draw what it is capable of?

Doing some reading into Lipo batteries, I understand the C rating is just the max discharge the battery can handle, and will be controlled by the unit using the battery.

Thought id rather be safe and double check this.

Thanks

• Supporters

20c absolute min

25c is the norm

30c is plenty tbh for most but the utter crazy mofo's

What a gun draws amps wise varies a lot I have been finding out recently

Higher speed motors really draw the amps and drain batteries quick

eg: speed/fast motors can easily drain 20amps stock gears to 30amps or more if badly shimmed/high speed gears

Torque motors on a higher speed gear set will produce similar rof to a std gear & speed motor but about 66% of the amp draw

Just finishing up a short M4 build using a 13:1 set, torque motor producing 24rps on 7.4v 25c but drawing just under 15amps and less heat

(has a 205mm with 229mm barrel options so needed a slightly higher spring - aprox m110 me thinks to get 335fps but I'm pretty pleased)

Thanks for the info.

Another battery related question. I have a IMax B6 charger which allows discharge and storage charge of the batteries.

To charge the battery, I set the charger to 1A

On storage charge, the charger defaults to 0.1A, but can go up to 0.6A for a S2 battery. Any special rules to follow, or reason to use 0.1A opposed to a higher discharge current?

The 0.6 is a number that is stated in the manual as maximum discharge for a S2 LiPo.

The batteries I am using are 7.4V 1300mAh.

Thanks

• Supporters

Unless you're planning to store the batteries for an extended period, I wouldn't worry about storage charging them.

• 1 month later...
  • Moderators

back on this topic, 2 of my lipos are not as 'hard' as other 2, and slightly squashy... :rolleyes:,

They are all stored usually for a month or so but as I have 4 I don't always get to use them all so they may stay charged longer, I do try to rotate them as I can, and play half game with one and then swap guns etc for afternoon games

so, what's the advice then, buy a IMax B6 charger for discharging them for storage, or leave them as is.....tempted to get this from FS when I place an order

http://www.fire-support.co.uk/product/kong-power-balancer--discharger

get mixed info and seems I may have to fire a bit more in games to drain them a little more :)

back on this topic, 2 of my lipos are not as 'hard' as other 2, and slightly squashy... :rolleyes:,

They are all stored usually for a month or so but as I have 4 I don't always get to use them all so they may stay charged longer, I do try to rotate them as I can, and play half game with one and then swap guns etc for afternoon games

so, what's the advice then, buy a IMax B6 charger for discharging them for storage, or leave them as is.....tempted to get this from FS when I place an order

http://www.fire-support.co.uk/product/kong-power-balancer--discharger

get mixed info and seems I may have to fire a bit more in games to drain them a little more :)

Take them to a lipo doctor.

• Moderators

:D was just going to bury in the garden when the patio gets redone

• Moderators

haha, :), off to FS this weekend or next so will chat with them when there and if needed will dispose of them properly if becoming 'dangerous' :)

• Moderators

So I really need to get the item then to discharge the batteries to prevent any other damage etc

Archived