Selling 2nd hand RIF

Hockallz
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hi guys.

I have an RIF I bought years ago before there were changes in legislation. It's a full metal body, black handgun and looks very realistic. My intention was to get into airsoft but for one reason or another I haven't and it's been sitting in my shed a number of years. I know somebody who wants to buy the pistol, my query is whether I am legally allowed to do so, or am I even legally allowed to keep the bb gun?

• Root Admin

OK, please read the stickies in this subforum as they answer most of your questions: http://www.airsoft-forums.co.uk/index.php/forum/12-uk-law/

Basically, VCRA - the law that governs some parts of RIFs only covers the point of sale. Owning it is completely fine.

To sell your gun you need to make sure you're selling to someone who's a regular airsoft skirmisher. The liability is on you to do this. Though no seller has been prosecuted in the history of VCRA for selling airsoft guns to someone who's not a regular skirmisher, you should still be sure. The law is grey on what 'being sure' is, but the best and safest way is to check that the person buying from you is registered with a site and has UKARA. Google 'how to check UKARA number' and you'll find out how to do this.

Again, there are other ways to just 'be sure' (like pictures of them playing, forum activity, knowing they play at a site through meeting them etc.) but UKARA is the safest and easiest to check. We have a classifieds subforum that you can sell in too if the person looking to buy falls through: http://www.airsoft-forums.co.uk/index.php/forum/17-classifieds/

In short: You are absolutely allowed to sell your pistol or keep it it. If you want to sell it then be sure who you're selling to is someone who plays.

Archived