Was this marshal out of order ..... ?

exterminator
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

• Supporters

Personally, I'd be pissed off and I think a lot of folks are underestimating how they'd actually feel if their new kit was now useless, burnt and stained and they were burned themselves. Burns are some of the worst types of commonly experienced injuries to my mind, they just hurt for ages and take bloody forever to heal. If it's on your back and touches on chairs I can fully empathise with how that's going to just be a huge annoyance in life in general because the simple act of sitting down is now painful. I've had injuries like that before which made simple, basic everyday things unpleasant and painful and they really grind you down.

I don't know what type of pyro it was exactly, but most of the disposable airsoft smokes don't get that hot to my knowledge, whereas military ones get insanely fuckin hot and I've seen some horrendous burns from military pyro. Either way, in my mind I've developed a strong cautionary stance towards any device that creates smoke and despite what most folks do on youtube videos, when chucking any sort of grenade I launch the thing as quick as f****n possible once lit; absolutely none of this holding on to it for a second and shaking it around (I doubt it does anything to the pyrotechnic compound inside the grenade and this 'let the smoke build' argument makes zero sense... it puts out what it puts out, holding on to it for a moment is just wasting some of it if anything).

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

OP, Might want to examine the waiver you signed, and then small claims this (do not skip the preliminary procedures if you do).

He may not have signed a waiver. I've never signed one for airsoft

I hope they acknowledge you, but I don't think they will replace the shirt.

If anything it's a lesson learnt to you, being new and the others around including the Marshall, that it's a bad idea to pick up a lit pyro.

If anything, a free game next weekend or whenever, would be what I'd expect.

I hope they acknowledge you, but I don't think they will replace the shirt.

If anything it's a lesson learnt to you, being new and the others around including the Marshall, that it's a bad idea to pick up a lit pyro.

If anything, a free game next weekend or whenever, would be what I'd expect.

Yes, fire is not dangerous until you've been burned. Sorry Mos, but that's bull.

5 yr olds know where there is smoke there is fire AND fire is bad.

Personally, I'd be pissed off and I think a lot of folks are underestimating how they'd actually feel if their new kit was now useless, burnt and stained and they were burned themselves. Burns are some of the worst types of commonly experienced injuries to my mind, they just hurt for ages and take bloody forever to heal. If it's on your back and touches on chairs I can fully empathise with how that's going to just be a huge annoyance in life in general because the simple act of sitting down is now painful. I've had injuries like that before which made simple, basic everyday things unpleasant and painful and they really grind you down.

I don't know what type of pyro it was exactly, but most of the disposable airsoft smokes don't get that hot to my knowledge, whereas military ones get insanely fuckin hot and I've seen some horrendous burns from military pyro. Either way, in my mind I've developed a strong cautionary stance towards anything device that creates smoke and despite what most folks do on youtube videos, when chucking any sort of grenade I launch the thing as quick as f****n possible once lit; absolutely none of this holding on to it for a second and shaking it around (I doubt it does anything to the pyrotechnic compound inside the grenade and this 'let the smoke build' argument makes zero sense... it puts out what it puts out, holding on to it for a moment is just wasting some of it if anything).

Its got a couple of burn holes in it you can still wear it or put a plate carrier over the top of it. Yeah a burn hurts but it wasn't intentional it was an accident. Take it on the chin and crack on. I cut my leg on Sunday on a piece of reed bar stick a plaster on it and carry on I'm not going to complain about it or demand new trousers because they have a blood stain.

Its got a couple of burn holes in it you can still wear it or put a plate carrier over the top of it. Yeah a burn hurts but it wasn't intentional it was an accident. Take it on the chin and crack on. I cut my leg on Sunday on a piece of reed bar stick a plaster on it and carry on I'm not going to complain about it or demand new trousers because they have a blood stain.

Did you at least inform the staff for safety purposes?

I've known someone who imapaled their knee on rebar that had been left strewn around

• Supporters

How you think those 2 examples are on a par, I honestly don't know, but each to their own. Either way, accidents to not absolve the culprit of responsibility, believe me I'd love it if that were the case in my work but if I f*ck up people will get hurt and quite possibly die, nobody in the court hearing will give 2 shits if it was an 'accident' or not; as an adult you're responsible for what you do, simple as that.

Marshals primary duty at a site is to ensure and monitor safety. Burning players kit (and worse, the player inside) is most definitely not in the job description. As a player you make 100% sure you look where you're chucking pyro (at least you should) and that applies even more so to staff on site.

If the OP chooses to 'take it on the chin' that's up to him, not for other people to tell him. If you personally would shrug it off then fine, that's your call, I'm saying personally I wouldn't.

If someone threw the bar and it hit you would you still take it on the chin?

Was it an accident?

Someone crashed into me at a roundabout the other week. 100℅ accident she still paid for repairs and my hire car and I've got a claim for loss of earnings and personal injury. Point is doesn't matter if it was a accident the OP has damaged kit and suffered burns, He shouldn't take it on the chin. The smoke had landed and was then picked up which is against most site rules and then thrown wildly at the OP. New top and a few free games is the least the site should offer and the Marshall should be either removed or severely reprimanded.

Yes, fire is not dangerous until you've been burned. Sorry Mos, but that's bull.

5 yr olds know where there is smoke there is fire AND fire is bad.

????

Fire is dangerous... Yes..

not the point, the point is that picking up a lit pyro wasn't a great idea...

And the Marshall clearly didn't know, as he picked it up..

He knows now for sure. And so did people around.

But, it always makes sense once you light it, your first thought is to get it out ya hands as quick as possible..

Well you wouldn't throw a reed bar at someone would you it's hardly the same thing. Pyro is thrown at games and when there is a lot going on or someone might chuck it like a girl it could hit someone. Or everyone could have a shit fit when they accidentally get hit by one and they ban the use of them altogether.

Did you leave the pyro sitting on your back for a while to do that much damage?

• Supporters

If you've got any sense, you wouldn't re-throw lit pyro at all and certainly not at somebody. And just for future info it's Rebar, short for 'Reinforcing bar'; common misunderstanding though.

Nobody's having 'a sh*t fit', there have been no disproportionate responses to the incident suggested in this thread and suggesting pyro will be banned is a totally OTT and sensationalist. That's obviously not going to happen and it's a poor attempt to put down the opposite point of view via exaggeration.

I've also played airsoft with plenty of females who use lots of disposable pyro and they're better at launching it than I am. I hated cricket/baseball/softball in school because I cannot throw for toffee and I still can't; the skills I have in life do not include manual launching of missiles. Literally never been able to throw anything with any accuracy or distance. So the phrase should be 'like a ckinnerley' if anything.

Someone crashed into me at a roundabout the other week. 100℅ accident she still paid for repairs and my hire car and I've got a claim for loss of earnings and personal injury. Point is doesn't matter if it was a accident the OP has damaged kit and suffered burns, He shouldn't take it on the chin. The smoke had landed and was then picked up which is against most site rules and then thrown wildly at the OP. New top and a few free games is the least the site should offer and the Marshall should be either removed or severely reprimanded.

Hah, I was just trying to be funny, rhetoric does not transfer on forums, so i thought italics might indicate something was up. :)

• 3 months later...

Just as an update. After weeks of constant nagging and reminders, I received a half-hearted apology and an offer of a free game for me and my son. I doubt if my complaint was fully investigated and I doubt if anything has changed at this site and anything has been learn't. It took over a month for the owner to get back to me citing lame excuses about not being able to contact people and breaking his legs. This is the same site that sold me a pistol that had an issue that in the end I had to take to another shop to get fixed. That very same site sold me the pistol without colour spray without question or checking that I had a valid UKARA defence. The site is a disaster waiting to happen and the owner only cares about his wallet so I won't be going back.

It's very tempting to name and shame this outfit. I am far from satisfied with the outcome.

It didn't get said before but it should be pointed out that picking up a lit pyro is negligence. Its in every safety briefing for every site I have ever been to and more than likely a condition of pyro use by the insurers. Part of the reason for that is that it could explode causing serious injury when constrained in a hand but when it comes to smokes they are hot and rapidly block vision and as such you can not take the appropriate time to determine where to throw it safely. The fact the marshall picked up a burning grenade and threw it rapidly without care is negligence.

The site has insurance, you should get the sites insurance details and speak to their insurer directly about the incident. They have been given the opportunity to put it right and now its time to let the site lay in the grave it dug for itself. They will more than likely loose their insurance and hence the site will shut down but that is for the safety of everyone involved. I hate it when sites don't take safety seriously, its dumb on so many levels.

The same thing could have happened with a player throwing it at you without due care and then there isn't much of a case but that isn't what happened and there is no doubt that picking up a lit pyro is dangerous and that resulted in your injury and damage. Its negligence according to my law degree holding friend. Seek council and get your own independent opinion on the mater.

It didn't get said before but it should be pointed out that picking up a lit pyro is negligence. Its in every safety briefing for every site I have ever been to and more than likely a condition of pyro use by the insurers. Part of the reason for that is that it could explode causing serious injury when constrained in a hand but when it comes to smokes they are hot and rapidly block vision and as such you can not take the appropriate time to determine where to throw it safely. The fact the marshall picked up a burning grenade and threw it rapidly without care is negligence.

The site has insurance, you should get the sites insurance details and speak to their insurer directly about the incident. They have been given the opportunity to put it right and now its time to let the site lay in the grave it dug for itself. They will more than likely loose their insurance and hence the site will shut down but that is for the safety of everyone involved. I hate it when sites don't take safety seriously, its dumb on so many levels.

The same thing could have happened with a player throwing it at you without due care and then there isn't much of a case but that isn't what happened and there is no doubt that picking up a lit pyro is dangerous and that resulted in your injury and damage. Its negligence according to my law degree holding friend. Seek council and get your own independent opinion on the mater.

Agreed with all of the above. Damn irresponsible. Here is the irony. They make everyone put an orange "sock" over the barrel of their gun in the safety area in order to prevent any accidents. You couldn't make it up. So do you think I should spill the beans about the site?

• Head Moderator

So do you think I should spill the beans about the site?

Yes! I would be pretty hacked off to attend that site and have a similar incident occur. Help to make the forum better informed and leave a review.

As said put a honest review up about the day / incident and the handling of it after. did you bring this up on the dayand show the Marshals at the time ? Did you get the burn logged in there accident files?

Just to emphasise that the site in question is neither of the 2 in my profile.

I have had good results in naming and shaming sites over safety over the years. All but 1 saw the review and implemented changes that produced a lasting change. You get some ad hominen arguments thrown at you by regulars of the sites but its part of the parcel of being a whistle blower really.

Archived