Was this marshal out of order ..... ?

exterminator
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

I'm new to airsoft and played my 4th game on Sunday at a site which (for now) will remain nameless, I would appreciate your opinion as to whether what happened was out of order or if I should just accept it as part of airsoft play.

During a game assaulting a buiiding, a player threw a red smoke grenade all of 2 meters, so to "help" a marshal picked up this already smoking grenade and threw it forward. The only problem was that it hit me in the back. The result is that it burned small holes in my shirt through to my skin which later that evening began to blister and has stained the shirt red and it won't wash out. This was a new ACU shirt costing £40 and it is ruined because of what IMHO was at best a careless act by a marshal that should know better.

I have emailed the site operator and so far I have had no response but I need to be fair and allow some time.

How would you feel in that situation? Do I have a grievance or is this par for the course?

FYI at this site there were other practices which I would regard as dubious like allowing kids to run around in a dense forest environment wearing just trainers. Most of the marshals were great and helpful but other were definitely gung-ho to say the least.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Supporters

Sounds pretty dodgy, did they throw it without looking or had you moved into its path? Not that it really matters as a marshal should know better than to pick up a lit pyro.....

They should compensate you for the shirt, apologise and make sure it is made clear to marshals and players not to pick up lit pyros. I personally wouldn't take it further than that but would want to be reimbursed for any damaged kit and for them to acknowledge their mistake.

I had to call a cease fire at a site where some poor buggers pocket caught fire and we were trying to get hold of the one that was burning before it injured him. The shocking thing is the marshals got arsey with me for calling a cease fire.

However frustrating it may be, I would just leave it and accept what happened.

We play airsoft - a game that uses pyros. There will always be a risk of something happening when explosives/very hot things are in use.

The player that initially threw the pyro could have thrown it better and burnt the same hole in your shirt, would you demand he buys you a new shirt?

Not attacking you or anything, just putting it in my point of view :D

Sounds pretty dodgy, did they throw it without looking or had you moved into its path? Not that it really matters as a marshal should know better than to pick up a lit pyro.....

They should compensate you for the shirt, apologise and make sure it is made clear to marshals and players not to pick up lit pyros. I personally wouldn't take it further than that but would want to be reimbursed for any damaged kit and for them to acknowledge their mistake.

I had to call a cease fire at a site where some poor buggers pocket caught fire and we were trying to get hold of the one that was burning before it injured him. The shocking thing is the marshals got arsey with me for calling a cease fire.

I was in a static position throughout this ordeal and was focusing on firing at the building in front of me when I was hit from behind in the back by this smoke grenade. There is no question of me moving in its way, I was already there and had been for 3 - 4 minutes.

However frustrating it may be, I would just leave it and accept what happened.

We play airsoft - a game that uses pyros. There will always be a risk of something happening when explosives/very hot things are in use.

The player that initially threw the pyro could have thrown it better and burnt the same hole in your shirt, would you demand he buys you a new shirt?

Not attacking you or anything, just putting it in my point of view :D

I think if this has been another player, an apology would have sufficed. I believe that you should expect more from a mashal but having said that, I do see your point which you have made well.

sh*t happens, would just get over it and move on.

So what happens if the marshal is never pulled up over his conduct and then he does the same thing again and this time someone receives a severe burn? You are right of course, sh1t does happen but you could say that about any accident and then nobody would learn from it thus preventing others having a similar fate. This time it was only a shirt and a slight burn to my back. Next time ........

So what happens if the marshal is never pulled up over his conduct and then he does the same thing again and this time someone receives a severe burn? You are right of course, sh1t does happen but you could say that about any accident and then nobody would learn from it thus preventing others having a similar fate. This time it was only a shirt and a slight burn to my back. Next time ........

You should have let them reply before bring it up here. Other than that, I hope you get an acknowledgement from the site.

• Supporters

a free walk on or two to keep good PR wouldn't hurt though

technically they may shout WAIVER crap but this was as a direct of their staff's actions

and we are told to leave $hit alone - could only see it being cleared if it was a hazard

but cleared out of way not into gaming area perhaps....

hindsight is a wonderful thing but alas means jack at the time

think marshal was trying to help - but we all f*ck up

Think maybe a walk-on n bag of bb's would be a fairly reasonable pure gesture of goodwill but stating they do not admit liability blah blah blah

(f*ck me a £10 bag of bb's and a free place ain't gonna plunge them into recession and keeps the love alive)

tricky one but think like most stuff a bit of give n take plus $hit happens but a dusting of compromise could work out ok

or vote with ya wallet if they ignore you is really all you can do if all else fails

best of luck

Guest PT247

I think if any person plays airsoft their kit is likely to get rekt... first outing my brand new sight got shot out and that was £60 down the drain. If you are not happy to have your kit get damaged then either find another sport or play private games. The marshall if intentionally threw the grenade at you should be held to account, if however he just bunged the grenade forward and throws like me (ie: Lisa Simpson) so it inadvertently hit you then like I say, get over it. If you can't it may suggest the sport is not for you, maybe try laser tag or somit.

Airsoft will leave your face covered in blood, your head concussed and body covered in airsoft herpes.... it is a contact sport and it involves pyros.... pyros hurt or burn etc if put in contact with flesh or cloth.....

Something similar happened a while back on a motorcycle trackday..... some dude got knocked off his bike on track by another rider.... he tried to sue the TDO..... even if justified on a technicality it is wrong in my opinion to put the sport in danger of litigation as it sets a precedent which could ultimately be a nail in the coffin for the sports we love. The dude who sued the TDO nearly got trackdays shut down in the UK.... do you want to be the person causing that to airsoft?

The dude who sued the TDO nearly got trackdays shut down in the UK.... do you want to be the person causing that to airsoft?

Bit harsh dude, he isnt talking about marching down to the police and getting the media involved. Its at best a bad review and worse reviews have been left for far less.

Absolutely tell the site they need to know when dangerous stuff happens whether they reimburse you is down to thier own moral code and would aay a lot about them. Although cheaper kit may be advisable! I bought a dpm trousers and shirt for a grand total of 7 quid and my mtp gear was ebay stuff costing £30 combined because running through woodland stuff will get ruined.

Was the marshal out of order for moving the pyro?

Yes. Pyro stays where it lands. For safety and keeping it fair for everyone.

Was it out of order that it hit you in the back?

No. It's annoying, especially considering that your kit got damage first time out. But, it's the nature of the game. Anyone could have thrown that pyro and - if they throw like me - caught you/someone in the back.

I've had a Mk5 land, and go off, on my back while I was lying down. No-one was to blame for it, just bad luck.

As a site marshal I would say there are for and against arguments, I think you have a valid point of asking for a little something but I would also echo what others have said, stuff does happen, if you value your gear highly or play in expensive kit then you must expect that something will happen to it at some point

One thing I will say is the marshal needs to be dealt with, one of the prime things we stress is never to touch pyro that's been lit, end of story, would you pick up a little flash and throw it back? No, so why touch a potential hazard of a very hot burning smoke, that's bad playing let alone being a marshal and doing it

• Supporters

If it was ukara site, they have insurance policy to deal with situations like this? Is it not?

Site insurances do not protect you. It protects them. So for example this guy sues them for the burn injuries, they won't have to pay.

I think at least an honest apology is due, but that's about it. If they are nice, they could give you some freebie. Again, not actually for you, but to fix their reputation. Marketing BS.

And this too: ;)

giphy.gif

You should have let them reply before bring it up here. Other than that, I hope you get an acknowledgement from the site.

To be fair, I have not named the site because they have not yet had enough time to respond. I don't think that I have been unreasonable.

To be fair, I have not named the site because they have not yet had enough time to respond. I don't think that I have been unreasonable.

Could it, per chance, be the site mentioned below your avatar?

Hi Dentonboy,

Just to be clear, the above incident does NOT relate to the site in my profile below my avatar. Moreover, I am happy to give that site a recommendation.

Steve.

Just to be clear. I am not looking to sue anyone or get anyone arrested which is the point made by James1989 above.

I do want to prevent this happening again and for the site owner to give the marshal involved some 'advice' and I would welcome the site offering something as a goodwill gesture given the fact that the injury and damage was as a direct result of the actions of one of the site marshals.

I have had an initial response from the site and I have to be fair and await the outcome of their investigations before posting further on this matter but I do appreciate all of the different views on this from everyone as diverse as they are and welcome further comments below. I have deliberately not named the site because once again, I don't believe in slating an organisation publicly unless they absolutely deserve it and I don't think that this site does deserve that.

I would take the hit and go to a site that is a little safer. We get told not to lift lit Pyro so a Marshall should know better. If your raging go back and cause some havok at the site.

Me personally I would just leave it and put it down as an accident at that split moment in time the marshal might have thought he was helping. It hit you and you got quite blister and suffered a bit of damage to clothing it wasn't malicious. Clothing will get damaged when playing weather it be a rip etc.

Airsoft is about consent... to be recorded, to sustain injuries from BBs, or loud bangs, or falls etc ... I can't recall ever giving consent to burns - particularly due to the negligence of staff employed to make the environment safer.

Archived