Barrel size

sniperslucky
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All,

I have taken a £3.00 piece of Ali tubing from Wickes DIY as this was a 1m long cut it down filed it through with some threaded rod, put PTFE tape around the hop up and the barrel is now a custom size to fit new flash hider shoots at 350fps, job done for less than a £5.00 and has a range of around 110 feet Not bad !!!!!. Hence my thoughts on self made hoby barrels and not being ripped off by suppliers that know there is demand :).

Surface finish matters more on barrels than bore diameter. Please search for this though - there must be 100 threads on it on here alone. Barrels are one of the most talked about things in airsoft, so do the legwork.

Go PDI or EdGI if you can afford it. If not then LayLax/Prometheus.

I mean you could buy your own brass, but you'd need to polish it very well, you'd need to crown it and you'll need to cut the window in it.; after all that it's just not worth it. Unless you have access to a CNC mill the amount of man-hours you'd have to put into it will easily exceed how much you'd have spent on it anyway.

the whole process takes loads of lapping to get the surface as close to true smooth perfection as possible

see HS5 spending yonks with various grades of paste to get improved results

the crowning is more than just jamming in a dremmel polishing stone in the end

And he knows a "little" bit to say the least...

(I know absolutely f*ck all by comparison)

barrels are usually about 6.05 stock

some stock barrels are better than others but still probably miles better than hacking up a bit of pipe and making a DIY barrel

TBB are about 6.03, 6.02 or 6.01 - though too tight on longer barrels will very likely jam more, these tbb will in most cases increase fps a little

Wide Bore are more used for hpa setups I think as the drop can be compensated easily

if barrel is ok - just clean it and concentrate on hop/bucking

if you wish to alter the barrel length a little maybe try a £20 one if on a real tight budget like zci/tornado

(avoid madbull is mine and many others opinion - save up for the higher quality barrels)

but often - people mess with barrels thinking it will change so much when in fact it don't or even make matters a little worse

and the average DIY one will very likely to be quite $hit on par with hacked bits of pipe found in JBBG guns

Think you could turn out other custom/bespoke bits n bobs that might function ok - but barrels ergh no I don't think so

3d print bits, make flash hider from delrin or stuff - loads of little bits you could knock up ok but precision barrels - nahhhhhh

Is this a real thread or a wind up?

give it a few weeks and there'll be a 'help please' thread:

"fitted my new barrel that I made out of some brass pipe and my accuracy and range have gone down the toilet, I think it's my tappet plate... could anyone advise a good material I can carve a new one from?"

On the subject of barrels, in Japan Tokyo Marui OEM barrels sell second hand for more than prometheus/PDI go for new. Food for thought.

for my 2p worth... on my PDW Krytac the stock inner barrel is as good as a Prommy barrel of slightly longer length which suggests it is better quality as is shorter so in theory less fps (as it goes; on the chrono made no difference)

• Root Admin

That's great progress, but I won't believe it until I see a video of your hop consistency. 30-40m is not bad, but it's no improvement over a stock barrel and bucking, so I'm not sure if it confirms your suspicions that barrels are needlessly expensive quite yet.

It'd be interesting to see if you can get the same sort of consistency out of that barrel with a good bucking.

• Supporters

It ain't the fps or the range - it is the accuracy of the thing

THAT is what makes a PRECISION BARREL - that is why some barrels are £20 and some are £40 and some are £60 etc.....

most barrels will shoot about the same distance - unless there is a bad finish or crap in it

say a 6.04 - 6.03, true as possible, the surface inside with perfect smooth even surface better than glass, clean and probably polished & buffed with slicon oil

The crown if not done correctly & evenly will cause all sorts of deviations in its flight

That is what a good barrel is all about - not easy to achieve hence even perfectionists take a pretty decent barrel and lapp the bastid

if you watch some of HunterSeeker's video's you will see how much work goes into it

But if you are happy with your diy barrel for a fiver - then that is what matters

Yes stuff like cqb where accuracy is not such a bigger deal I guess it could work ok at a push - like some barrels in cheap JBBG guns

But I really doubt if a hacked up bit of alluminium pipe from Wickes or somewhere is gonna come close to even a mediocre stock barrel

But good luck to you machining up a bit of pipe to make a barrel, those skills will come in very handy anyway when you have to get so called TM compatible bits to fit and work properly in your gun

Aluminium. Scratches too easily and too malleable not to be at risk of kinking at times.

What are you doing with your barrels, surely they are protected inside the gun what would cause it to kink??????

Archived