Really dont know what to do...

JellyBelly
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hi peeps,

I'm struggling what to do at the moment, I'm one skirmish away until I require my UKARA. Let's just say I am going to invest time and money into this new hobby that I so much enjoy, i know i have only played twice but i generally enjoy it. I have done plenty of research on the net about what are the best guns are for beginners etc (G&G and that)...

My question is and this is where I start to struggle with my decision is shall I get a gun just to get me going and start saving for what I really want or buy what I really want? This gun will be my main primary for a few years so please take that into consideration. I do have a reasonable budget to start with.

Sorry it was a long post and thanks for taking the time to read this and I look forward to your replies.

Phil

Why don't you get something cheaper but with good upgradability so you can turn it into a good-looking, good performing gun over time. My cheapest gun is now my favourite as its heavily upgraded and much better than the more expensive guns I bought.

• Supporters

M4 - if you can afford one buy krytac

if not - save more, sell family silver - no joke

try to save more if poss but if that looks unlikely go easy on a £150 G&G starter - really no more

one game away from ukara but might still have to wait for 3 month period plus a week or two to get entered on database....

DON'T JUST BUY THE FIRST GUN YOU SEE IN STOCK !!!!

seriously invest as much as you can afford and as wisely as you can = Krytac

if you want a really good gun out of box, upgraded properly for you and a big smile on your face for years to come Krytac

if you are not sure about long term toy gun stuff or a bit strapped get G&G say CM18 is a nice cheap gun for the money

Goes without saying - try and handle as many guns as possible,

lots of people have AK's and they are pretty good but I just don't love them as much as M4's

G36's good all rounder folding stock etc.....

others love mp5's & mp5k's

plus L85's - though I'd suggest getting a more regular gun above for first RIF tbh

your money - your choice - your gun, just try out some if you can and read reviews - both good & bad reviews first before buying

• Supporters

There are good budget guns that will serve you well until you will want to buy an other one or for ever.

A&K M4, Cyma AK, JG G36, Cyma Mp5, JG G3. From taiwangun or gunfire of course.

Buy a decent model that you like.

Not what's "the best gun", but a model you like and want to use.

As and when it needs it, slowly upgrade it internally and externally.

As you play more you'll find the difference between what you want and what you need.

Spent years dreaming of running with a M4 Carbine with M203, box mag and all the gizmos on it.

In reality, I've settled with a stubby M4 and a torch in my pouch😃

My M4 is (mostly) the original JG M4 I bought 10yrs ago :-)

I've lost track of how much I've spend on various models. M4, SR-25, VSR, FN2000, MP5, G36c (conversion to SL-9 ... Then back again) just to name a few. When I was young and stupid and didn't have responsibility or bills.

But; I always went back to "Old Faithful".

M4 - if you can afford one buy krytac

if not - save more, sell family silver - no joke

try to save more if poss but if that looks unlikely go easy on a £150 G&G starter - really no more

one game away from ukara but might still have to wait for 3 month period plus a week or two to get entered on database....

DON'T JUST BUY THE FIRST GUN YOU SEE IN STOCK !!!!

seriously invest as much as you can afford and as wisely as you can = Krytac

if you want a really good gun out of box, upgraded properly for you and a big smile on your face for years to come Krytac

if you are not sure about long term toy gun stuff or a bit strapped get G&G say CM18 is a nice cheap gun for the money

Goes without saying - try and handle as many guns as possible,

lots of people have AK's and they are pretty good but I just don't love them as much as M4's

G36's good all rounder folding stock etc.....

others love mp5's & mp5k's

plus L85's - though I'd suggest getting a more regular gun above for first RIF tbh

your money - your choice - your gun, just try out some if you can and read reviews - both good & bad reviews first before buying

Where's yours then? :P

Buy a decent model that you like.

Not what's "the best gun", but a model you like and want to use.

As and when it needs it, slowly upgrade it internally and externally.

As you play more you'll find the difference between what you want and what you need.

Spent years dreaming of running with a M4 Carbine with M203, box mag and all the gizmos on it.

In reality, I've settled with a stubby M4 and a torch in my pouch

My M4 is (mostly) the original JG M4 I bought 10yrs ago :-)

Indeed, people often forget ergonomics.

Thanks for the comments guys. Think I'll need to think about it a bit longer. I really do like the DMR route but don't know if that's a bit to advanced at this stage. As for the m4 I do like them but they all look the same to me so get confused to which one is which haha

Thanks for the comments guys. Think I'll need to think about it a bit longer. I really do like the DMR route but don't know if that's a bit to advanced at this stage. As for the m4 I do like them but they all look the same to me so get confused to which one is which haha

They mostly are the same. Pick a budget, knock off £50 for batteries and magazines, and then tell us your remaining budget, someone will totally give you a list, eg G&G £120-160, Krytac £300, Tokyo Marui Recoil £400.

I have cheap G&G cm16 and I hate this gun, it's so good it make my upgrade to Krytac mk2 unjustifiable. Luckily for me, cm16 have polymer construction and no mosfet.

Once I've sold my car and payed off a few bills I will hopefully have between 400-500 quid.

I was in that position and I bought a £155 G&G combat machine, 10 £5 mags and some batteries. If I could go back and tell myself anything, it would have been to buy a £120 G&G combat machine.

• Supporters

Where's yours then? :P

Indeed, people often forget ergonomics.

which one 2 x black/tan or the tan/black one ???

son has first one but prefers D-Boys 416

the other two are in boxes still in my den untouched along with a "few" other guns

I love M4's coz it is an easy to pickup & use over AK's - just can't get on with selector at all - absolutely cack handed

the AK12 had a modern western style fire selector - still lefty but a lot more ergonomic to flick through

did think of putting on the empty shell mod to AK selector that people have done but - nah I'll just pick up an M4 instead

edit think the empty shell mod was on charging handle not selector - dooh my bad

budget5.jpg

ah well I prefer M4's I guess

• Supporters

I was in that position and I bought a £155 G&G combat machine, 10 £5 mags and some batteries. If I could go back and tell myself anything, it would have been to buy a £120 G&G combat machine.

Your CM18 is alright, came a little warm but has done you proud, regular use but still done ok with it

even if you flogged it you wouldn't lose THAT much on just base gun

if you have regrets then sue the idiot who suggested that gun - oh no, wait that was me :D

if you had bought a carbine @ old £117 price you wouldn't have rails

if you bought Raider - Long might be too long & short maybe a smidge too short

both would have the sprung loaded dust cover - not a massive biggie but to some they are a bit shocked it don't drop down

FireHawk - bit short and loud for woodland

G16 maybe over G26 but 30th editions are nearly all gone

hence my own personal recomendation to many is CM18

hmm could do it it all black or all tan but black/tan/black effect gets it noticed

not perfect - don't love flash hider - qd suppressor option that goes on pi$$ed when I tried a cheapy one on there

mid-cap, not everybody's cuppa tea - can work very well in some guns but not great in others

but cheap set of ASG mid caps should be great little setup for mid cap players

the other latest ETU guns are still hit n miss for quite a few - hence me and is just my own view is CM18 is a nice gun

soz if anybody was unhappy with theirs - only reason I don't take mine is coz I'm busy using others or more likely trying to take the pi$$ and wanting to see how long my latest balls-up bit of teching might last (usually not long at all)

• Supporters

My 2p

Get a good cyma cm028 ak, cheap, solid and come with a battery (ditch the charger they come with as its rubbish). Everyone has m4's not that there bad at all.

Or for abit more £££, something from the newer ares range with the efcs mech box. (Yes I know ares of old is rubbish, but there newer guns are brilliant, try one!)

• Head Moderator

DMR in real world works but I am not convinced that it does for airsoft. I have yet to come across a player with DMR set-up, and probably why there seem to be so many Umarex HK417's for sale. Cannot see any advantages with it, will not outrange a normal gun by much and you often have a 20m MED, so better to stick with normal gun sub 350 fps or get a sniper rifle.

To answer your OP - I spent as much as I could on a decent quality gun that worked well straight out of the box with no need to upgrade it (except LiPo battery and Deans connection). I did not want to buy cheap and then have to replace my gun with another or go down the upgrade route.

My advice is to spend as much as you can on your gun, buy proper eyepro, good footwear (and gloves) and do not worry about load-outs or accesories. You can build up kit over time, however, you want a reliable and quality gun to start with.

If you're just starting out then my advice is buy the best entry level gun you can (with a good quality metal body if your budget allows) and use it until you find its flaws and then upgrade it where it needs to be upgraded. You'll be amazed what spending a little bit of money on well thought out mods which address flaws with a gun will do compared with just dumping money in to every shiny upgrade you can find.

Don't be too concerned about roles and loadouts when you're just starting either. Get guns that work and gear that works. You can figure the details out once you find what works best for you.

• Supporters

Thing is we all have our opinions and views....

Opinions are just like ar$eholes - everybody has one

but we must remember that most people do like it being shoved in their faces :)

So - really try to research some stuff yourself, try to hold a gun, ask owners etc...

then weigh up all the pro's n con's of each gun option....

End of the day you will very very likely end up buying another one or two at some point anyway no doubt

Just coz I like this or he likes that or they say this - you might hate them all and go with something totally different

Once ukara'd you will be spoilt for choices, and buying a gun will be easy...

Alas choosing though will be very hard as you probably want that one, and that one, oooh that looks nice, what about that one, blimey I like that too....

get a Tokyo Marui Recoil shock rifle as your budget is good enough. The best cross platform for you would be either the SCAR H or the HK 417.

If you need to buy from new then you will need to spend all your budget to get a few mags etc but if you want shop round the sales forums and see if you can pick up one which will include mags and upgrades for the same price as just a new rifle.

Out of the box they knock socks of a standard AEG and because they are TM the range is very good for a stock rifle firing at 300 FPS. they can be upgraded if you want and the only real additions are a BTC Spectre mosfet and possibly a eagle6 spring to bring the FPS up to around 340. You might want to consider a tightbore barrel to increase accuracy at range but you need to make sure the new inner barrel and larger srping doesn't push the FPS over 350.

As I said above shop around the different sales forums and you will be able to find one with the work already done but try to buy from someone who has a food reputation.

If you're just starting out then my advice is buy the best entry level gun you can (with a good quality metal body if your budget allows) and use it until you find its flaws and then upgrade it where it needs to be upgraded. You'll be amazed what spending a little bit of money on well thought out mods which address flaws with a gun will do compared with just dumping money in to every shiny upgrade you can find.

Don't be too concerned about roles and loadouts when you're just starting either. Get guns that work and gear that works. You can figure the details out once you find what works best for you.

Rubbish, :P the body material has no effect on weapon function. :)

Your CM18 is alright, came a little warm but has done you proud, regular use but still done ok with it

even if you flogged it you wouldn't lose THAT much on just base gun

if you have regrets then sue the idiot who suggested that gun - oh no, wait that was me :D

if you had bought a carbine @ old £117 price you wouldn't have rails

if you bought Raider - Long might be too long & short maybe a smidge too short

both would have the sprung loaded dust cover - not a massive biggie but to some they are a bit shocked it don't drop down

FireHawk - bit short and loud for woodland

G16 maybe over G26 but 30th editions are nearly all gone

hence my own personal recomendation to many is CM18

hmm could do it it all black or all tan but black/tan/black effect gets it noticed

not perfect - don't love flash hider - qd suppressor option that goes on pi$$ed when I tried a cheapy one on there

mid-cap, not everybody's cuppa tea - can work very well in some guns but not great in others

but cheap set of ASG mid caps should be great little setup for mid cap players

the other latest ETU guns are still hit n miss for quite a few - hence me and is just my own view is CM18 is a nice gun

soz if anybody was unhappy with theirs - only reason I don't take mine is coz I'm busy using others or more likely trying to take the pi$$ and wanting to see how long my latest balls-up bit of teching might last (usually not long at all)

Oh yeah, it's done me no harm at all and been an excellent intro to the hobby, but it would be more money to spent on a better gun now, if only just £30 it all adds up. Nothing wrong with the CM18. :) I had not appreciated the cheaper ones had these differences you've mentioned here, perhaps I spoke rashly, non the less I do think peeps new to the sport could stand to buy a cheaper gun +mags/battery, than buying expensive from the start.

• Supporters

I'm a firm believer in starting off easy like ya first gun/car etc.......

Everything has its flaws, I'd advise people against some of the mid range ETU G&G's

but starters are good value for money - the 30th's were very good value for money but both were front wired

(I prefer rear wired I guess)

once OP gets ukara he can buy loads of decent value for money guns if he so wishes

Some people have a higher budget and prefer to pay more for a better gun/car/pc/TV from the start hence the " K " word

Others might love to pull stuff apart and learn how stuff works with a few tweaks or upgrade as they go = Combat Machine or value starters

(To be honest you either have to be pretty good or pretty stupid to get a TM or Krytac and rip it apart - quite likely making it worse)

Yes me I like messing about with stuff and do this for $hits & giggles so I love the lower end stuff - pointing out any good/bad points imho

5 or 6 general Combat Machines are nigh on all the same meat different gravy - just whatever floats your own boat

Blowbacks I'm not interested in - more stuff to go wrong and I feel it is just a gimmick on what is effectively a toy gun

But many love them - so to each their own as they say....

Plenty of other good makes as Samurai said, in fact the JG & Cyma boxes are better than G&G's v2

But M4 wise, the G&G polymer receivers are better, choice and UK retailers blah blah blah gives G&G the slight edge overall - just

ICS are close second/joint first depending on your opinion - mainly coz fire support are so good.....

If anybody has £300 to spend on first/next M4 then the " K " word really must be strongly considered - scratched record but it is true

If people want a better first gun like their stfu car/TV/pc etc.... then they gotta look at them and not need to worry for upgrades n stuff

Luckily there are plenty of choices out there, many models and variations too

do not judge one make by just one gun or type/length of gun though, it is a minefield like buying anything you will have possible doubts

but hopefully with some research and answering a few of your questions about what is required/desired at what budget

The buyer can make wiser informed and balanced choices when they purchase their new (or s/hand) toy peew peew gun

A good gun helps, looks dogs bollox, but often it is the player not the gun that wins the game

So with that in mind, buy what you like or can comfortably afford without overstretching yourself - especially if new to airsoft

This bit is where the buyer has to decide their realistic budget leaving a bit left to buy good eyepro, battery/charger spare mag or two and good bb's

(f*ck me don't buy a £300 gun and run with 7.2v nimah's with BullDog bb's etc....)

No worries - there is no simple answer to this dilemma of what to buy for first gun but often a good decent starter will not be unwise as long as you purchase a good decent value for money one and progress in stages as & when your budget allows.....

Have fun with ya gun - whatever you choose to use

Archived