Using 5.11 4 banger bag good idea?

GothicGhost
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hi all.

Looking at simple setup using a shoulder bag and a duty belt for a few extra pouches if needed.

Thinking buy this one http://www.military1st.co.uk/products/56181-328-5.11-4-banger-bag-sandstone.html?gclid=COeMrrzF9cwCFRATGwodxk8Aqw

And the belt http://www.uktactical.com/p-9488-warrior-tactical-duty-belt-tan.aspx

Anyone used a shoulder to carry most things instead of a chest rig or battle belt?

Thanks for any advice.

• Supporters

I mean, it's a bag, it will carry things, but people use belt/chest rigs for a reason. It'll just be a lot slower to actually get at stuff and reload.

It'll also likely bounce and jump around a lot as you run and it will stick out from your body a lot more than a more conventional setup would. Generally if you want to avoid any sort of PC or Chest rig I'd just put the money in to a good quality MOLLE belt and deck it out with whatever pouches you need. Belt setups always have been the all round best option for carrying kit.

• Supporters

I've generally always gone with padded MOLLE belts. However if you can find some shoulder pads designed for slings/PC shoulder straps that have narrow attachment points, those will pad out a belt just fine.

I went to my local store today and got a cheap viper chest rig.

I know its not the best but it will do for now and I was going to get a molle belt but they did not have any in tan :(

Nothing wrong with a cheap Viper vest.

Bought mine 12yrs ago and it's still going strong. Recently replaced the Velcro with Buckles, but it's the only change I've had to make on it. :-)

• Supporters

Unfortunately, your one example does not create a trend (despite this belief being the most pervasive one amongst airsofters 2nd only to the ukara license). If anything, they probably made stuff a bit better 12 years ago.

• Supporters

Unfortunately, your one example does not create a trend (despite this belief being the most pervasive one amongst airsofters 2nd only to the ukara license). If anything, they probably made stuff a bit better 12 years ago.

I have had one for a couple of years and its been absolutely fine and I go through stuff very quick. For a nice simple option to carry mags and the couple of things the average airsofter needs its absolutely fine. Most viper stuff is not great but the L.A tac vest is ok.

Very true. I guess built quality tends to drop the more people make, and sell. Never any money in making stuff that lasts.

Never had a problem with Viper gear and I've had a fair bit over the years.

I'll admit it likely has nothing on more 'premium' brands like Blackhawk, Warrior etc.

One day I'll probably get myself some higher end stuff and realise how shoddy my old and tired stuff really is :-)

• Supporters

Very true. I guess built quality tends to drop the more people make, and sell. Never any money in making stuff that lasts.

I'll admit it likely has nothing on more 'premium' brands like Blackhawk, Warrior etc.

One day I'll probably get myself some higher end stuff and realise how shoddy my old and tired stuff really is :-)

Old Blackhawk! stuff is top quality, the new stuff is only just better than Viper in my opinion, cheaply manufactured in the far east with very questionable QC.

wow....I really know my stuff, don't i? :blink:

I suppose it all comes down to use and expectations.

I've always played on a budget and been happy to replace cheap with cheap if/when it dies. But been happy with what I've had.

Used to play fortnightly so gear got a lot of use, but it wasn't necessarily "hard use". Never done Milsims or anything like that. Always played casually for a bit of fun.

I get that if you play harder, do Milsim etc you'll expect higher end gear and want it to last.

• Supporters

wow....I really know my stuff, don't i? :blink:

I suppose it all comes down to use and expectations.

I've always played on a budget and been happy to replace cheap with cheap if/when it dies. But been happy with what I've had.

Used to play fortnightly so gear got a lot of use, but it wasn't necessarily "hard use". Never done Milsims or anything like that. Always played casually for a bit of fun.

I get that if you (the proverbial you, not litterally you) play harder, do Milsim etc you'll expect higher end gear and want it to last.

Playing a milsim is not really any harder on your gear than most skirmishes. Some milsimers come out with that tosh just to try and make them sound more elite.

The real benefit of the better gear for milsims is the comfort and immersion side of it. If you are going to play pretend soldier you might as well dress the part and if doing a whole weekend you want to be as comfortable as possible.

The high end gear is definitely better but is it really necessary for regular airsoft? Matter of opinion I suppose but I would say if you like it buy it whether cheap clone or gucci gear.

The only really important kit is the toy gun and the player themselves.

Viper stuff is crap in my opinion I bought it thinking it would be good. Boots fell apart on first outing took back and replaced with 5.11 boots they was awesome very uncomfortable. I've got a Viper plate carrier that's actually alright but will get a 5.11 plate carrier soon. Pouches etc are not very good quality feel cheap. Won't be buying anymore viper stuff. Had my hpa tank in my hydro pack and the poppers kept coming undone aswell.

• Supporters

I have had one for a couple of years and its been absolutely fine and I go through stuff very quick. For a nice simple option to carry mags and the couple of things the average airsofter needs its absolutely fine. Most viper stuff is not great but the L.A tac vest is ok.

Ok... but as with one example not proving anything of significance, neither does two. If your stuff is fine that's great but it's no solid proof test of a brand. I'm not personally saying it's not fine for airsoft (and neither did my previous post) because I'm not in a position to do so, given that I've no first hand experience.

On the other hand, I tend to find I'm fairly accurate at assessing military style kit based on ~12 years of hoarding immense amounts of the stuff and learning everything I possibly can about fabrics, thread, large scale machine sewing methods, QC processes, general methods of wear and the way all those different materials hold up to different types of usage. I'm not the master of such topics by any means, but I know a bit by this point. Not saying it was a good use of my time, but that's the industry I want to get in to after the military. To be clear, none of that also implies any knowledge I might have negates your experience, I'm just saying that from what I've learnt over the years it takes at least a few thousand examples of something to be used and reviewed before any solid conclusions can really be drawn (as far as gear goes). if you collate thoughts/comments/reviews on Viper from all over the web (and collating reviews is basically what I do on all sorts of brands) then you'll paint yourself a picture much like WE; a very mixed bag.

In this industry we're discussing, there is literally untold millions to be made from making good stuff that holds up and works well. Among the cheaper airsoft-only brands then perhaps they follow that philosophy, but then again how many people rebuy a brand that's failed them? Not many I'd wager. How many 'graduate' from the bargain basement knock-off chinese kit to the mid-range sturdy stuff like Warrior once they've been playing a little while? An awful lot. A very small few (proportionally) get the bug for the needlessly gucci shizzle and it spirals out of control from there... ahem

Personally, I did exactly as you say with a lot of equipment. When the chinese clone guns/accessories massively boomed in the very late noughties I picked up a fair few bits and pieces, but it was a lot more popular back them to get 'RS' stuff and after some cheap stuff literally spontaneously fell apart on me I skipped the middle man and went right up. For example,I had a terrible clone Insight M3 light that quite genuinely broke itself apart while sat on a shelf, I picked up a Streamlight TLR-1 which is the very base end of the RS light range (ideal for airsoft imo) and the difference hit me like a freight train. Once I'd seen that different I simply could not go back

• Supporters

Viper stuff is crap in my opinion I bought it thinking it would be good. Boots fell apart on first outing took back and replaced with 5.11 boots they was awesome very uncomfortable. I've got a Viper plate carrier that's actually alright but will get a 5.11 plate carrier soon. Pouches etc are not very good quality feel cheap. Won't be buying anymore viper stuff.

Didn't even know Viper made boots.

There is the odd thing they do thats ok but 90% percent of it is garbage.

Wouldn't buy 5.11 boots either the ones I have just binned were 5.11 and when I jumped down some stairs a couple of weeks ago the sole split and my foot crumpled up and they wasn't very old. Two toes and two metatarsals fractured and if I was wearing stronger footwear it might not have happened.

Look at decent hiking boots or lowa military boots.

I have ordered some Salomons as thats what seemed to be most recommended.

Yeah they do mate. I'm actually pretty impressed with my 5.11 boots I like the side zip so you don't need to keep undoing laces. When they need replacing I'll check out the lowa boots. Going to have a holiday in the us next year so will be a good chance to replace kit with RS stuff. I don't mind spending money on good stuff now as annoyed with cheap crap.

Archived